Sponsored by:

more servicing concerns

Search this Thread

Old 23 June 2005, 01:16 PM
micaAB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more servicing concerns

my 03 wrx is in for service today, and i knew that the front pads needed replacing because of the squealing noises but the Subaru garage has told me that the drivers side front disc is also due for replacement too.

i can't beleive it, my cars only got 15000 miles on it and the front discs are being recommended for replacement. WTF??????

so my 24month/20000 service is gonna cost me about £500. am i having the p*** ripped out of me?
Old 23 June 2005, 01:27 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

I'd be asking why they think only one side requires replacing, that sounds a little concerning. As far as replacing the discs so soon - are you the last of the late brakers? Is this the first set of pads? I'd certainly be looking to get 2 pad changes per set of discs, not pads and discs each time.

Dave
Old 23 June 2005, 01:32 PM
micaAB
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave_A
I'd be asking why they think only one side requires replacing, that sounds a little concerning. As far as replacing the discs so soon - are you the last of the late brakers? Is this the first set of pads? I'd certainly be looking to get 2 pad changes per set of discs, not pads and discs each time.

Dave
well i did ask that and get this - he said that the drivers side wears slightly faster then the passenger side because there is always someone in that side, hence more frequently there is more weight and therefore (this is where i try to hold back the laughter, and the tears) the drivers side does more braking!!!!!!

i'm no petter solberg in my car, i give it the occassional thrash but that is very seldom cos i don't drive it too much. the missus uses it more than me - making me wonder what she's doing to it.

by the way, this is Foxes Subaru in Badgers Mount!
Old 23 June 2005, 01:42 PM
Topcat1
Scooby Regular

I had my MY04 WRX in for front brake pads yesterday, the car has also just done 15,000 miles. They were a bit away from being totally worn, but felt it was time for them to be changed. The front discs look fine.

Got the work done at a local garage just round the corner from my work, and the cost for parts and labour £84.30. I am sure when I got the pads changed on my Bug eye at the Subaru Dealer it was £100 for the pads and an hours labour to fit.
Old 23 June 2005, 03:38 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by micaAB
my 03 wrx is in for service today, and i knew that the front pads needed replacing because of the squealing noises but the Subaru garage has told me that the drivers side front disc is also due for replacement too.

i can't beleive it, my cars only got 15000 miles on it and the front discs are being recommended for replacement. WTF??????

so my 24month/20000 service is gonna cost me about £500. am i having the p*** ripped out of me?
Could it not be that given you had the squealing sounds, your pad had worn through and the metal has hit the metal of the dic, scored it and thus the requirement for a new disc? Or, is it that he knows that the time to your next service will mean the disc will have worn through so is trying to play it safe - just playing devils advocate?
Old 23 June 2005, 04:29 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I normally get 2 sets of pads, to one set of discs, first dics replaced at about 30,000
miles.
Think the dealer is talking crap, about there is always someone in that side of the car, so they wear down uneven. Ask what thickness they have worn to, think you are allowed 2mm wear from original thickness.
Old 23 June 2005, 04:37 PM
kentscooby2
Scooby Regular

Question

yikes: got me worried.

Responses to earlier thread doesn't encourage me to try Fox Badgers Mount: only one person on here using them - if that's really true how long will they last?

And my front brakes passenger side are also squealing: same mileage and due in for 24month service. Wonder how they'll explain that?!
missus hates driving it: "too noisy" - so can't blame her, and driving definitely more sedate than gnarly.

Trending Topics

Old 23 June 2005, 05:19 PM
Buckrogers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by micaAB
well i did ask that and get this - he said that the drivers side wears slightly faster then the passenger side because there is always someone in that side, hence more frequently there is more weight and therefore (this is where i try to hold back the laughter, and the tears) the drivers side does more braking!!!!!!
What utter toss!
I have never heard of any garage ever replacing one disc because of wear. Always replaced in pairs.

The tolorence is 2mm. 1mm each side of the disc.

If his words of wisdom were true, then every time you apply the brakes the car would be pulling to one side.

Ask to speak to the service manager, if he comes out with the same rubbish ask for it in writing so you can frame it!
Old 23 June 2005, 05:22 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If its just one then surely that should be checked and replaced under warranty. I have heard several people have had new discs under warranty- worn out in unreasonably short time.
Old 23 June 2005, 05:35 PM
Nick L
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
If its just one then surely that should be checked and replaced under warranty. I have heard several people have had new discs under warranty- worn out in unreasonably short time.
Have my car booked in for its first 30k service tomorrow - have had one new set of pads so far. Will let you know how I go on, will also admit to being a fairly late braker as I do quite a few miles 'off peak' so the roads are a little clearer hence a more spirited journey etc.

Front disc wears more on that side - hmmm, would say that sounds a litle suspect to me too.
Old 23 June 2005, 05:59 PM
Coupe-Se
Scooby Regular

My local Subaru dealer has said that they have replaced a LARGE number of discs on 02-03 Impreza's under warranty as there is a know problem with premature disc wear.
My mate has had his front discs changed at 20k on his 03 STI under warranty ......... no questions asked.
Old 23 June 2005, 06:05 PM
scoobyjimbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coupe-Se
My local Subaru dealer has said that they have replaced a LARGE number of discs on 02-03 Impreza's under warranty as there is a know problem with premature disc wear.
My mate has had his front discs changed at 20k on his 03 STI under warranty ......... no questions asked.
Had mine done at 10k under waranty on my 02 sti, no questions.. I find it amazing what some of these dealers say, no wonder scoob dealers are no longer held in "god like" ways like they used to be in the JD power surveys. I noticed on the wall in my local dealers a few weeks ago they had signs from JD power saying, "Subaru = JD power dealer award 1996,7,8,9", so whats happened since 1999 then...!!
J
Old 23 June 2005, 06:41 PM
GE90
Scooby Regular

About to decide which dealer to use for my 20k service. Fox's were on the list, being closest, but not so sure now. I think they only have one Subaru mechanic.

Don't mean to go off topic, but any other experiences of Fox's?
Old 23 June 2005, 06:49 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I had my discs replaced under warranty at around 35k. I didn't even have OE pads in, which they questioned, but as they were Ferodo and I know the Prodrive upgrades are rebranded Ferodo, they knew not to push me. They never even commented on the braided lines, but wanted me to have a set of new SUK pads in at £90+vat and fitting. I told them to barlux as the Ferodo's had only done 1k and the SUK pads are sh!te anyway.

Go to another dealer !
Old 23 June 2005, 07:49 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

New discs on warranty at 35k? Thats pretty good going.
Old 23 June 2005, 08:22 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mgcvk
New discs on warranty at 35k? Thats pretty good going.
I can be very peruasive at times

Simple really ! Discs should last more than 3 years, or 36k. If they don't, CLAIM ! I've also had a battery and an O2 sensor
Old 23 June 2005, 09:28 PM
micaAB
Scooby Regular

right then, got the car back (well missus had to pick it up cos i couldn't get back to the garage in time.

had the new discs fitted and the new pads and paid for it too (thru the feckin nose!!!)

i've had a nightmare day dealing with those people that even worse than car dealerships - estate agents! so the car seemed unimportant to me, but they're both as incompetent and overpaid as each other in my book.

i've got the "faulty" discs in the back of my car just in case i can do some sort of compensation claim with Subaru.

Anyone know the contact details for the Head Office or customer services? Is that the right way to go about it?

Whatever happens the explaination was laughable and I don't care what anyone says I want more than 15000 miles from a set of discs.

Maybe I can try to learn to drive with a more left sided braking technique or mount the drivers seat in the middle of the car - a la McLaren F1!!!!

Any more suggestions about what to do next are appreciated.

I'm just off to fill in my Top Gear JD Power survey. I can just see it now:
Performance Satisfaction - probably a tick in the "Satisfied" box.
Servicing Costs and Dealership Satisfaction - I wonder if they'll be a "Robbing Bar Stewards" box for me to tick.

AB.
Old 24 June 2005, 12:45 PM
Arthur Fowler
Scooby Regular

When I took my MY03 Blob in for its 20k service a month or so back, I was warned that discs might need replacing as "they nearly always need replacing at 20k or 30k service". I was really surprised. Thankfully they didn't need changing, but fear they will at 30k (which is already a very £££ service without a disc change).

This was at Quenby's btw.
Old 24 June 2005, 05:09 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Arthur Fowler
When I took my MY03 Blob in for its 20k service a month or so back, I was warned that discs might need replacing as "they nearly always need replacing at 20k or 30k service". I was really surprised. Thankfully they didn't need changing, but fear they will at 30k (which is already a very £££ service without a disc change).

This was at Quenby's btw.
Buy and fit your own dics before the service, together with Ferodo DS2000 pads and don't let the dealer rip you off. The maximum it will take you to change these items is 45 minutes per side and you'll save a fortune.
Old 24 June 2005, 06:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

These are a set of discs taken off a car with just 18000miles and 2 years old. Not driven hard and with pads worn by about 50%. No noticable loss in performance, and no squeeling,

From a glance through the wheels all looks fine.....but upon closer inspection, the condition was rather more concerning.

Note that the eagled eyed will notice signs of cracking too. Of course the cutomer still complained why he needed new discs at just 18K. But sometimes it does happen, and what can you do? Just bear that in mind.

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 June 2005 at 06:57 PM.
Old 24 June 2005, 11:16 PM
Arthur Fowler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ140
Buy and fit your own dics before the service, together with Ferodo DS2000 pads and don't let the dealer rip you off. The maximum it will take you to change these items is 45 minutes per side and you'll save a fortune.
Thanks for that thought. Don't fancy doing it myself, but could get the parts and supply a local garage that doesn't charge £85 per hour + markup on parts!