Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying rattle/tapping still not gone. Help me please!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2005, 11:39 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying rattle/tapping still not gone. Help me please!!!!!!!

Hi,
Yep it's me again posting yet another problem with my MY54 STi. Since day one I've had an annoying interior rattle that sounds like it's coming from the rear window. I've read threads on this before but I've still not got it fixed. It sounds as though something metallic is gently tapping the rear windscreen. It's obviously more noticeable on bumpy roads, and at lower speeds when there's not much road noise. Drive's me bloody mad. Sick of people telling me that the STi is not a BMW or an Audi so you have to expect these things. Had a Corsa SRi that didn't rattle, girlfriends got a StreetKa that doesn't rattle
My car's been into the garage 3 times altogether now and they can't come up with a solution. Had dynomat insulation put just about everywhere possible. No help. Had all seat belt mechanisms checked and they're all fine. Like I said I'm sure it's something tapping on the rear windscreen but they don't seem to be able to find anything. Someone PLEEEEAAASE help!!!!!!!!!!
Old 21 June 2005, 11:58 PM
BedHog
Scooby Regular

No idea mate, all I can suggest - if you haven't tried it already - is getting someone else to drive while you sit in the back.

Maybe then you can narrow it down a bit.

No doubt something stupid and easily fixed if you can find it.
Old 22 June 2005, 12:43 AM
Bugatti
Scooby Regular

maybe a silly suggestion but, if you're sure that something is knocking against the window then it maybe worth taking the window out and driving without it to see if the rattle is still there.

I have a rattle in my04wrx coming from the front passenger door , i feel turning the music up helps.
Old 22 June 2005, 09:54 AM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Might sound obvious and I'm sure you've checked , but my old classic had the large Prodrive spoiler and I remember a plastic connector that fed life to the brake light came unclipped and rattled against the rear bulkhead , also If it's driving you up the wall that much is it worth getting a smaller passenger to lay in the boot while you take it around the block (gently of course ) and see if they spot anything ?

Another thought is has it got a tracker fitted ? if so could it be that that's rattling around wherever it's hidden ?
Dave
Old 22 June 2005, 10:06 AM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Had something similar on my classic - turned out to be the plywood parcel shelf knocking against the metal shelf that houses the speakers. a bit of good old blu-tac sorted it.
Old 22 June 2005, 12:57 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Its not one of the rear suspension units rattling is it? Fairly common problem.
Old 22 June 2005, 01:06 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

centre seatbelt fitting's in rear shelf,same sort of noise on mine,tightened all fixing points on the centre seat belt and rattle now gone

you have to remove the rear seats to get to it(easy enough)whilst there out,tighten up every nut and bolt you find,especially the hook type thingy that holds the ski hatch closed,if no joy get it in your dealer under warranty

mark

Trending Topics

Old 22 June 2005, 05:17 PM
Eprom
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could try the jack in the rear wing, make sure that is tight.
Old 22 June 2005, 10:29 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

I'd try the seatbelt fitting too. My '01 WRX has a really annoying rattle that I realised only happens when I have a passenger in the front. Turns out something rattles when the seatbelt buckle is put into the 'other bit'. I haven't managed to sort it yet, except to not take passengers!
Old 22 June 2005, 10:36 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

i have the worst f***ing squeek!!!!!!!!!! i think its my front bumper! driving me mad!
Old 23 June 2005, 12:06 AM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Sometimes makes you want to buy a german car doesn't it?
Old 23 June 2005, 12:16 AM
GREGGYG
Scooby Regular

Get the rear STRUTS and TOPMOUNTS checked by your Subaru dealer. They should be fully aware of this problem just like every other dealer in the UK! The struts are replaced under warranty, i've just had mine done, but the noise is still there. Car is going back next week. This may sound silly, but ive got a feeling the noise could be coming from the rear spoiler flexing over bumps, I think this because when I tap the rear spoiler hard with my hand, the sound is similar to what I hear whilst driving along!!!! Sounds like ive got planks of wood in the boot!
Old 23 June 2005, 08:39 AM
hales
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by snerkler
Hi,
Yep it's me again posting yet another problem with my MY54 STi. Since day one I've had an annoying interior rattle that sounds like it's coming from the rear window. I've read threads on this before but I've still not got it fixed. It sounds as though something metallic is gently tapping the rear windscreen. It's obviously more noticeable on bumpy roads, and at lower speeds when there's not much road noise. Drive's me bloody mad. Sick of people telling me that the STi is not a BMW or an Audi so you have to expect these things. Had a Corsa SRi that didn't rattle, girlfriends got a StreetKa that doesn't rattle
My car's been into the garage 3 times altogether now and they can't come up with a solution. Had dynomat insulation put just about everywhere possible. No help. Had all seat belt mechanisms checked and they're all fine. Like I said I'm sure it's something tapping on the rear windscreen but they don't seem to be able to find anything. Someone PLEEEEAAASE help!!!!!!!!!!

Yep it will be the rear screen, i have an 04 sti and it went back to the dealer 4 times, they took the spolier off and did many things and it did not sort it...then they took the rear screen out and re set the screen. This solved the problem.....the noice you are getting is the same as i was. So tell them thats the problem. If they wish to clarify the problem get them to speak to Days in Chelmsford they did mine. You need my reg to get the info drop me a PM.

Problem fixed
Old 23 June 2005, 09:38 AM
Spirejock
Scooby Newbie

My 04 Sti uk had a metallic banging noise from back end. Turned out something had let loose inside the N/S shocker. Had the whole unit replaced under warranty by the dealer. They also said that the other would probably go now, but couldn't replace it til it does........ Fills me full of confidence.......
Old 23 June 2005, 10:16 AM
scoobnoob05
Scooby Regular

i had a similar 'knockin' sound over bumpy roads and especially at low speeds in MY05 WRX

Driving me mad it was

Pinpointed it to the 'OH SH*T' grab handle above the passenger rear window knocking against itself.

Sounded like it was coming from the rear window too but it wasnt.

little sticky pad on the handle sorted it

hope that helps mate

J
Old 23 June 2005, 10:43 AM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spirejock
My 04 Sti uk had a metallic banging noise from back end. Turned out something had let loose inside the N/S shocker. Had the whole unit replaced under warranty by the dealer. They also said that the other would probably go now, but couldn't replace it til it does........ Fills me full of confidence.......
Yep had that one as well and had my shocks replaced. Was a different noise to the one I was describing.