Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

If dump valves are chav, why aren't exhausts?

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2005, 01:11 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If dump valves are chav, why aren't exhausts?

Never tried a dump valve (atmos) until recently and must say they are quite cool in a way (!) but too annoying and too attention seeking.

Recently put a prodrive backbox on too and must say it had the same result.

Why are backbox mods so accepted and dump valve not so when really it is the same thing -more noise and more attention.

One thing I'd have to agree on is that the exhaust note emphasises the character of the car, and it is lovely to hear that flat-four rumble, but if the same performance can be had without the intrusion of a resonating backbox then why does everybody get one.

I quite like having a quiet 270 bhp and putting my foot down without any other effect than g-force, ....and I like the noise and 'experience', 'the event' of a loud exhaust too, ....but the quiet option seems to be winning at the moment.

I know this view is not generally shared, any comments as to why?
Old 19 June 2005, 01:37 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

They aren't - some scoobies have the most stupid zorsts around

Many even land in this country with industry-sized bean-cans fitted as standard witha 2.5" bore and still with two cats for the rest of the system...what is the point apart from making it sound like a Volkswagan camper van with no exhaust system?

The beauty of the impreza originally 10+years ago was all about its subtlety - nobody knew what it was, now it's quite the opposite. Everybody knows what it is - and just to make the point to the rest of the world, the modern age of Subaru drivers want to shout it to the world that they have an inferior set of exhaust headers fitted
Old 19 June 2005, 02:01 AM
cong
Scooby Regular

i dont think a dump valve is chav. because most chavs cant afford to run or buy a turbo'd car but they can afford those loud quad rocket launcher tail pipes on there saxos

Last edited by cong; 19 June 2005 at 02:12 AM.
Old 19 June 2005, 02:19 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Roojai
Never tried a dump valve (atmos) until recently and must say they are quite cool in a way (!) but too annoying and too attention seeking.
Surely, even owning a scooby puts the owner in the attention ***** position. In fact, there is no denying that statement at all is there...
Old 19 June 2005, 02:21 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
the modern age of Subaru drivers want to shout it to the world that they have an inferior set of exhaust headers fitted
I thought what we were all shouting was "my car sounds much nicer and much more distinctive than yours"? I'm not so sure the average pedestrian would hear a scooby coming and think "**** me, whatever car this is its exhaust headers certainly aren't equal!"

Dump valves, like exhausts, are a matter of opinion. It seems at the moment that everybody is quick to jump on the bandwagon of labelling things 'chav' if they don't like a particular aspect of modifying, they hear dump valves on a couple of chav-driven RS Turbos or Renault 5 Turbo's (not that I have anything against these two cars - just using them as an example) and think that therefore dump valves on imprezas are also chavvy.
Old 19 June 2005, 02:21 AM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

nobody knew what it was
which made it even more of an attention whoring car People are upset now that it isn't so far and few between, and lets face it, the original exhaust spec was just pants...
Old 19 June 2005, 02:27 AM
tath
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Soulgirl
Surely, even owning a scooby puts the owner in the attention ***** position. In fact, there is no denying that statement at all is there...
is the attention ***** position in the kama sutra?

scoobies are becoming the discerning chav's trade up from his burberry vtr unfortunately, so i'm sure we'll see a plethora of brain-dead performance leads, tints, DVs, subs, GRP bumpers and massive quad cans hit the market soon. except for some scallies like the berk today who told me his vts "pisses all over WRX's..." lol
Old 19 June 2005, 02:31 AM
Daft Lad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tath
is the attention ***** position in the kama sutra?

scoobies are becoming the discerning chav's trade up from his burberry vtr unfortunately, so i'm sure we'll see a plethora of brain-dead performance leads, tints, DVs, subs, GRP bumpers and massive quad cans hit the market soon. except for some scallies like the berk today who told me his vts "pisses all over WRX's..." lol
I agree with you that many chavs are upgrading to Imprezas nowadays, but the point I am trying to make is not all people with DV's, subs etc are chavs!
Old 19 June 2005, 02:43 AM
Brother_Will
Scooby Regular

No VTA dumpvalves on an impreza are chav since you really should have a Recirculating DV on an impreza, a VTA is just "look at me i is got a wikid turboed mota innit"
Old 19 June 2005, 02:46 AM
chrome
Scooby Regular

how about if you acquired the VTA BEFORE the national 'chav' emergence took place ?

and external wastegates are FAR from chav imo
Old 19 June 2005, 11:16 AM
ScooBStu
Scooby Regular

Well I say leave them alone - Just my opinion of course. If you modify your subaru when more and more chavs buy them yours WILL be seen as chav in my opinion.

Leave it standard and it will probably be worth more and get more respect in the long run. Especially with regard to body kits, big wheels, exhausts and the dreaded neons!!!!!!
Old 19 June 2005, 11:37 AM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

IMHO exhaust upgrades are not CHAV like dump valves. There are no performance gains from a dump valve so it's just there to make a silly noise.

Exhaust upgrades however are a well documented performance necessity if you want to release the most out of the power locked in your engine. The standard pipe is far too restrictive for the car so it just make good sense to upgrade it.

Also I love my music and it always sounds better when its turned up, just like I loved the flat 4 of my scooby when I got it, so guess what, I turned it up......
Old 19 June 2005, 12:07 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I wouldn't say that: UK classic standard backbox...250bhp

Restrictive? Only the cats, but thats as far as it goes

Last edited by ALi-B; 19 June 2005 at 12:19 PM. Reason: oops
Old 19 June 2005, 12:10 PM
Stiver3
Scooby Regular

Location: Braintree - 321BHP, 285Lbft-Perfect Standard' Ish STi Ver. III

Originally Posted by Daft Lad
I thought what we were all shouting was "my car sounds much nicer and much more distinctive than yours"? I'm not so sure the average pedestrian would hear a scooby coming and think "**** me, whatever car this is its exhaust headers certainly aren't equal!"

Dump valves, like exhausts, are a matter of opinion. It seems at the moment that everybody is quick to jump on the bandwagon of labelling things 'chav' if they don't like a particular aspect of modifying, they hear dump valves on a couple of chav-driven RS Turbos or Renault 5 Turbo's (not that I have anything against these two cars - just using them as an example) and think that therefore dump valves on imprezas are also chavvy.
Well said! Things get labeled too much on here, people think because they've seen it on a 'chav' motor, loud exhausts, dump valves, big bodykits etc...that any car that has the same product is also chav! I don't think dump valves are chav, and neither loud exhausts, its down to personal taste and what car its going on.
Old 19 June 2005, 12:54 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I wouldn't say that: UK classic standard backbox...250bhp

Restrictive? Only the cats, but thats as far as it goes
exactly my point. I recently had my car on the rollers with a quiet standard exhaust and it was putting out 270bhp (powerstation).

I remember reading that a standard box was put on a 400bhp car and the power dropped about 5hp, which isn't much is it.

I put prodrive exhaust on mine as I felt it was a bit boring, needed a bit more "character", but now think it is actually a much cooler car as a quiet sleeper (it is a debadged old wagon so does not scream 'rallycar'), so will be putting the quiet exhaust back on.
Old 19 June 2005, 01:13 PM
James Neill
Scooby Senior

The impreza drives much better without a VTA dump valve. Just try and and see how much smoother your gear changes are without one.

I have a scoobysport back box and it gives the rumble I like. It's there but not to intrusive. Like the poster said, the exhaust rumble is "character" the ptssh, ptssh is not!
Old 19 June 2005, 02:46 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

the so-called power gains your supposed to get with up-rated exhausts is negligable imo. i have a scoobyworld afterburner back box and centre which is supposed to give an extra 18bhp. to be honest i cant tell any difference over the standard box ( apart from the noise!) and im sure if i was to floor it against an impreza with a standard box, i wouldnt pull any lead on the standard car
Old 19 June 2005, 02:55 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattvortex
the so-called power gains your supposed to get with up-rated exhausts is negligable imo. i have a scoobyworld afterburner back box and centre which is supposed to give an extra 18bhp. to be honest i cant tell any difference over the standard box ( apart from the noise!) and im sure if i was to floor it against an impreza with a standard box, i wouldnt pull any lead on the standard car
u shud have got it up on the rollers before and then after fitting the exhaust, then you would have known exactly how much bhp/torque you have gained!
dumpvalves aint "chav" as u english people say, they sound good and 99% of peope agree with this as far as ive heard of anyway
Old 19 June 2005, 03:37 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mattvortex
I disagree in a big way....

I have the just got a scooby sport centre pipe and Afterburner Vortex backbox and after running with a standard system I can certainly notice the difference:

Quicker turbo spool up

more responsive throttle

Quicker pick-up through the power range.

However I am running this on a import classic. I have heard that the newer cars need to be re-mapped to make any improvement at all.

All I did was a quick ECU reset
Old 19 June 2005, 03:47 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

i'm sick to death of hearing the word "chav"

i got a dump valve and fairly loud exhaust........how f***ing cares!!!!!
Old 19 June 2005, 03:50 PM
flat4_ire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by peachy wrx

thank you! what a stupid word anyway, WHO cares?
Old 19 June 2005, 03:51 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

Not as loud as mine Andy, lol
Old 19 June 2005, 03:52 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXtra power
Not as loud as mine Andy, lol
your damn right mate!
Old 19 June 2005, 03:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chavs don't recognise themselves ............ it's a well documented fact

Chavs like YOU don't think you are, but laugh at all those cheap ARGOS gold Chains/Wheels and the ***** hanging outa fat chavettes jogging bottoms!!

Pete
Old 19 June 2005, 04:00 PM
WRXtra power
Scooby Regular

P!ss off you old git!
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis

Chavs like YOU don't think you are, but laugh at all those cheap ARGOS gold Chains/Wheels and the ***** hanging outa fat chavettes jogging bottoms!!

Pete
oh shut up! your old really old...and smell of wee.....yea wee!
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fookin' Chav!!

Pete
Old 19 June 2005, 04:01 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

fookin old fart!
Old 19 June 2005, 06:09 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WRXtra power
I disagree in a big way....

I have the just got a scooby sport centre pipe and Afterburner Vortex backbox and after running with a standard system I can certainly notice the difference:

Quicker turbo spool up

more responsive throttle

Quicker pick-up through the power range.

However I am running this on a import classic. I have heard that the newer cars need to be re-mapped to make any improvement at all.

All I did was a quick ECU reset

I think the above is true but more if turbo back system is fitted. Without a remap turbo can over boost and make car feel weird.
Old 19 June 2005, 09:54 PM
Soulgirl
Scooby Regular

There, you just hit your own nail on the head.

Now fukc off and watch your Corrie omnibus.

Quick Reply: If dump valves are chav, why aren't exhausts?