Need some help asap please!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2005, 01:29 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help asap please!!!!!

Hi guys,

MODS: Sorry i know this should go into wheels and brakes but i have my car in bits at the moment and amlooking for a quick answer if possible, could you please let this stay in general just for today, many thanks.

OK guys, I have noticed a problem with my front brakes, been looking at them and taken the pads out and taken the pics below, you will see red lines on the pics of the brake pads to indicate the thickness...

Sorry for the size:

If you look one pad is worn more than the other, but more importantly the pad that is more worn,is more worn at one end than the other!!!!!!!!

Pads are about 1.5 years old.

What is it that is most likely causing this and how do i fix it?!?!?! Any comments and suggestions welcome.

Also here are a few pics of the disc,sorry for the quality, the disc is worn by about 1 - 1.5mm, should they be replaced? they are at least 3 years old, the same ones on the car when i bought it.

I've done 25K miles since i bought it.

Quick responces appreciated.

Thanks

EK

edit to add car is MY96 UK turbo saloon, standard brakes.
Old 18 June 2005, 01:44 PM
69WRX
Scooby Regular

You may have a sticking piston in the caliper, due to either corrosion, dirt or kn@ckered seal. You should be able to buy a caliper repair kit.
Or it could be just the pad sticking. When pads are installed you should use copper grease on all the contact points where the pad touches the caliper and also on the retaining pins.
Old 18 June 2005, 01:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Quite normal for most cars...especially 2pot or 1 pot sliding calipers

Give your pistons a bit of a work out to make sure they are not sicking. But TBH I wouldn't let it worry you too much.

Normally when this happen you get light cluncking noises from the wheels at 3mph when manouvering and using the brakes.

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 June 2005 at 01:49 PM.
Old 18 June 2005, 02:25 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Quite normal. Mine were same if not worse - i have 335mm godspeed discs with standard calipers.
Old 18 June 2005, 02:29 PM
EvilKyote
Scooby Regular

UPDATE:

Taken calipers off (took some doing!!! ignor the liquid it's not a leak!!)

Can you see the splits in the rubber seals? Is this an imediate problem? opions/comments please.

Old 18 June 2005, 02:39 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

EK, the pads have a little life left in them, but not much. I wouldn't let them get below 1mm, and it is quite normal to see greater wear on the inner pad, along with slightly uneven wear. The discs are definately ready for a change ! 1mm of wear on each side is the recommended maximum, but I wouldn't be overly concerned with 1.5mm, just change them soon and that will necessitate new pads anyway IIRC they start out at 24mm and should be changed at 22mm overall thickness on all 4 pot cars. AFAIK the rubber seals are to stop dirt getting in and causing wear to the piston and its cylinder. I'm not sure whether you can get replacements so it may require a new caliper at come point, but again, it isn't the end of the world.

HERE's a good place to source any bits you may need