Sponsored by:

Whats that noise?

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2005, 05:34 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats that noise?

Picked up the new motor at weekend and love it to bits so far (Well actually I've had it in bits to make some slight changes).

Never having owned a turbo before I am more curious than concerned about a noise I have been hearing intermittently when driving at a steady speed of between 25-40mph at 1500 to 2000 revs.

Every now and again, perhaps every minute or so a whirring noise kicks in and lasts about 10 seconds before stopping. If it was the turbo, which I doubt, then I assume it is regulated by higher revs than at 1500-2000.

I've also discounted the fan, as I am familiar with the sound that makes - much louder and more prolonged.

Any theories?
Old 13 June 2005, 05:47 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

"Every now and again, perhaps every minute or so a whirring noise kicks in and lasts about 10 seconds before stopping"

I have this problem but its more of a "whine" than a "Whirring". I resolved this problem by removing female front passenger.
Old 13 June 2005, 06:10 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
"Every now and again, perhaps every minute or so a whirring noise kicks in and lasts about 10 seconds before stopping"

I have this problem but its more of a "whine" than a "Whirring". I resolved this problem by removing female front passenger.
Wahey, problem solved LOL!!

It had crossed my mind.
Old 13 June 2005, 11:31 PM
JPS3290
Scooby Regular

Ive only had my STi v7 for about 5 weeks now but noticed that when crusing along below 3k i can hear a ticking noise that speed up in time with the revs, is it something like that your hearing?

Im hoping what im hearing is what ive read people on hear say is the boost solinoid and is normal.
Old 13 June 2005, 11:47 PM
snerkler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jbwrx300
Picked up the new motor at weekend and love it to bits so far (Well actually I've had it in bits to make some slight changes).

Never having owned a turbo before I am more curious than concerned about a noise I have been hearing intermittently when driving at a steady speed of between 25-40mph at 1500 to 2000 revs.

Every now and again, perhaps every minute or so a whirring noise kicks in and lasts about 10 seconds before stopping. If it was the turbo, which I doubt, then I assume it is regulated by higher revs than at 1500-2000.

I've also discounted the fan, as I am familiar with the sound that makes - much louder and more prolonged.

Any theories?
I hear a whirring noise when travelling at low speed and at low revs (ie little road/engine noise) on my STi version 8 and it's just the air conditioning system. i don't know if it's what you're hearing but it sounds similar the way it kicks in and only lasts for about 10 seconds. You can actually hear other electronics if you listen carefully enough eg the electronic switch fro the intermittent windsreen wipers. I've never heard the aircon on any other car I've owned. onder2:
Old 14 June 2005, 02:48 PM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by snerkler
I hear a whirring noise when travelling at low speed and at low revs (ie little road/engine noise) on my STi version 8 and it's just the air conditioning system. i don't know if it's what you're hearing but it sounds similar the way it kicks in and only lasts for about 10 seconds. You can actually hear other electronics if you listen carefully enough eg the electronic switch fro the intermittent windsreen wipers. I've never heard the aircon on any other car I've owned. onder2:
Thanks guys,

I have a feeling that the last two replies may be spot on. I've honestly not noticed whether Air con has been on when it happened, but as I usually do in any car then it is a distinct possibility.

I'll have a listen on the way home and update if it carries on without the air con on.