Cost of ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2005, 08:07 PM
s80wkr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Cost of ownership?

Hello to everyone!

Me and the mrs are thinking about getting a WRX probably Y or 51 plate for about £10k

How good/bad is the cost of ownership?

We currently have an IS200 and a GTI6

I am bored of the IS, it is a great car but no real fun like the gti6

We might get rid of the 6 and get a Hdi and chop the Is200 for a wrx

The lexus and the GTI6 is a pig on petrol and the Lex isn't that cheap to service really

I hope to be on an even keel if we get a hdi and a wrx

Only problem is she is under 25 (a few weeks from 24) and Privilege dont want to include her on mine the cost being £650 for just me.

She insures the GTI6 gp16 with me as named driver for £800 and I pay £400 on the lexus gp13 with her as named driver I have full NCB she has 1 year

Anyone any ideas who might be best for us to insure through
Old 07 June 2005, 08:12 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

If you dont have many points, then try elephant.co.uk and if you do then try tesco/virgin.co.uk, they are the only insurance companies thay have ever given me decent quotes, as i was under 25 with performance cars.

Hope that helps.

Cookie
Old 07 June 2005, 08:13 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

If you have to ask about cost of ownership then the scoob is not for you.

Expensive insurance
thirst for optimax
expensive modding route (which you will go down)
4 tyres at a time
7.5K service intervals

basically not cheap to own ........ loads of smiles per miles for sure but cheap NO

Gary
Old 07 June 2005, 08:30 PM
s80wkr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
If you have to ask about cost of ownership then the scoob is not for you.

Expensive insurance
thirst for optimax
expensive modding route (which you will go down)
4 tyres at a time
7.5K service intervals

basically not cheap to own ........ loads of smiles per miles for sure but cheap NO

Gary
Thanks Gary,

i'm not adverse to spending cash just wondered how a WRX and diesel bin would fair against an IS200 and a GTI6 ideally it would be about the same to run and insure

Also thought services were 10k on a WRX?

The mrs would get the WRX in the main monday to friday and she can work wonders making petrol last she can nearly get 100 miles out of £10 in the GTI6 I struggle to get 60 lol

Problem would be at weekend when I put my foot down lol
Old 07 June 2005, 08:34 PM
MannyA
Scooby Newbie

MPG not too bad I can get 260 miles out of a tank during the week if I lay off the turbo

If you do track days prepare to spend a fortune on tyres and brakes, i have been through 3 sets of pads in 5000 miles!

But in terms of HP per £ you cant beat a scooby!
Old 07 June 2005, 09:03 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

The only problem you might find in all honesty is that a 2001 Y wrx bug eye wont be much faster than your GTi6. If its performance your looking for then your looking at the wrong car. With 220bhp it sounds great but its a heavy girl at around 1400kg.

I will be slated for saying it but if you want the pose value etc then yeah its fine but if its go your looking for then the std bug eye WRX doesnt have it. A clio 172 / cup will run you very close, and I mean very close......

Dont let that put you off though, have a look at the for sale section on here, there are always good cars for sale for good money too.

If your worried about insurance then I would suggest a standard UK car is for you.

Gary
Old 07 June 2005, 09:04 PM
s80wkr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MannyA
MPG not too bad I can get 260 miles out of a tank during the week if I lay off the turbo

If you do track days prepare to spend a fortune on tyres and brakes, i have been through 3 sets of pads in 5000 miles!

But in terms of HP per £ you cant beat a scooby!
How many litres in a tank?
Old 07 June 2005, 09:29 PM
Trashman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by s80wkr
The mrs would get the WRX in the main monday to friday and she can work wonders making petrol last she can nearly get 100 miles out of £10 in the GTI6 I struggle to get 60 lol
Typically £45 takes me 250 miles - and that is about average around these parts. That's about 55 miles per £10 - not really booting it either. Oh, you wont keep you're foot up, it will be down most of the time . Boot it at the weekend and you can enjoy less than 150 miles per tankfull
Old 07 June 2005, 10:43 PM
Trap2Terrorist
Scooby Regular

Default Fuel economy

Originally Posted by s80wkr
How many litres in a tank?
It's a 50L tank and I get about 260 miles per tank at best aswell, as long as I don't tear around too much.

I bought my 51 plate WRX about a month ago and it's great. I had an Audi 1.8L previously, getting 39mpg. After picking it up from the previous owner I got less than 18mpg on the journey home through A and B roads!!!! Fun drive though :-)

As long as I don't go over 3000 rpm's during the week and give it some stick at the weekend, I reckon I'm getting about 20-22 mpg on average.

The best return I had was after a motorway run of 135 miles, plus the rest of the tank sticking to less than 3000 rpm's (most of the time). I reckon I got just over 25 mpg from it.

I don't regret buying it at all, now it's just a case of saving cash for a) servicing b) tyres c) performance pack d) wolfrace 'street racer' wheels
Old 07 June 2005, 11:44 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I easy get 320 plus miles from a tank on motorway journeys not booting it.
Old 08 June 2005, 07:47 AM
lordretsudo
Scooby Regular

I part-ex'd my IS200 SE for a 2003 WRX STI last week, so I haven't had the Scooby long to experience its running costs. However, I can safely say that I don't regret it one little bit so far. Whilst I love how the Lexus looks, it was so slow and yet so petrol-thirsty.

I was pleasantly surprised by the insurance, the servicing costs are very similar, and both cars are equally prone to dents and chips and expensive to modify. I think the only thing bad about the Scooby is the fuel economy, but it's not all that bad given that the STI is nearly twice as powerful as the Lexus.

Our other car is a Toyota MR2 Roadster, and that's very economical and cheap to run (as would be your HDi if you got one), so I tell myself that balances out the cost of running the Scooby... If I were you, I'd go for it - I don't think you'll regret it.
Old 08 June 2005, 09:45 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Fuel is not the only expense on the scoob ....... Its just one of them.