ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STi 05 - difficult decision...

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2005, 11:57 AM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question STi 05 - difficult decision...

A friend of mine wants to buy a new MY05 STi.

The problem is that he wants to go down the modding route, but isn't sure he wants to be limited by the PPP - he doesn't care about keeping the warranty.

1) What is the PPP on an UK MY05 STi made up of?

2) Can you knock £2,000 off the purchase of a standard STi if you don't want the PPP?

3) If he wants a reliable 330 - 350 bhp, what would he need to do to the STi?

Mark.
Old 07 June 2005, 12:04 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

See Iain at litchfield imports. He will get the car cheaper than a dealer. Or just tell him to get a JDM and exhaust, filter and re-map should get to that power

http://www.litimports.co.uk/subaru/index.html
Old 07 June 2005, 12:04 PM
PJ's Scoob
Scooby Regular

order a 05STI now and get free PPP then get down to WRC-Tech and for another £1600 gets you 350Bhp.
Old 07 June 2005, 12:18 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personal opinion would be to buy a JDM STi or Spec C, if modifications are on the cards.

I have already been down this route and after buying a UK STi for the wrong reasons, I changed it within 4 weeks for a JDM model.

Horses for courses and entirely depends on what you want.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 07 June 2005, 01:07 PM
simakinen
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by webmaster
Personal opinion would be to buy a JDM STi or Spec C, if modifications are on the cards.

I have already been down this route and after buying a UK STi for the wrong reasons, I changed it within 4 weeks for a JDM model.

Horses for courses and entirely depends on what you want.

Regards,
Shaun.

Hello Shaun,
How do you find the 05? JDM car compared to your type UK car?.With not having owned a new shape JDM car,i am very interested in hearing your views on this.Does the car feel a lot stronger,torquier and the like?.I owned an 03 STI PPP that then had The 333 pack fitted,but to be honest it just didnt do it for me.It always felt like it was struggling at the top end and running out of steam.So i am genuinely interested if the JDM car feels like this.Obviously a little fettling might be on the cards,but not much?.I will have to blagg a go in a JDM car sometime to see for myself, but your experiences would be appreciated,regards, SIMON.
Old 07 June 2005, 01:20 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

or get a standard '03 or '04 sti in good nick. Full decat exhaust and map and fuel pump should easy get you around 340bhp for no more than £1800. Not worth buying new if you don't want ppp.
Old 07 June 2005, 01:42 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the replies. The '03 or '04 UK is not an option due to the lack of a DCCD. He wants the best compromise between a day-to-day car and a track weapon...

He likes the look of the Spec C Type RA, but they all seem to be sold out...

Does anybody know what the PPP is made up of?

Mark.
Old 07 June 2005, 01:51 PM
compshack
Scooby Regular

STI PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack) is made up of a sports cat downpipe, change of ecu, the original is returned to prodrive, fuel pump, and decatted centre section.
Dealer charges £1990.00 Inc vat. Takes most of the day to fit.

The ecu is a "Tek 2" type remap which is a approximation of what it should be like. The ecu then "learns" over the first 300 miles and will adjust to the petrol being used (should be 97 RON) and driving style.

Initially when fitted there doesn't seem to be much differance apart from a louder exhaust note but after a few hundred miles it really does fly.
Old 07 June 2005, 01:53 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Sounds like he wants a Spec C, then - there's no point buying a UK car for that purpose if he plans to mod the car and take it on track anyway.

The Spec C and the standard '05 JDM STI are actually very similar these days, but for track use the Spec C is probably a better bet thanks to its oil cooler, uprated fuel pump and bigger I/C water spray tank. It has a roller bearing turbo which apparently spins up a bit quicker too, though I have no issue with spool-up on my standard '05 JDM STI provided there's at least 2500rpm on the clock.

Try giving Litchfields a call, ask about a Type 20, based on the Spec C and perhaps with a slightly more aggressive map - that should see about 320bhp. If that's too expensive, try an '03 or '04 Spec C instead.
Old 07 June 2005, 02:54 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Simon,
Even though I have driven both a UK STi MY05 and a JDM STi MY05, I can only relate proper driving between both my previous UK STi MY03 PPP and my present JDM Spec C MY03.

Ride quality and handling aside, the JDM cars feel so much more responsive and stronger. I couldnt believe the difference even when driving a standard JDM STi, compared to my UK STi PPP at the time. As an overall package, my Spec C would trounce my previous UK STi PPP....... only to be expected in my eyes, considering what the Spec C is aimed at, but as already mentioned, the Spec C of 2003 is not far from what the present JDM STi's are at present (engine wise).

Regards,
Shaun.

I would strongly suggest you get a test drive and make your own opinion.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 07 June 2005, 03:46 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Although the JDM STi and Spec C have similar suspension and reasonably similar engines, there is the not-so-small matter of a 100kg weight difference. For track-biased use, I'd definitely suggest the Spec C. I also use mine as my only family car ...
Old 07 June 2005, 03:51 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
Try giving Litchfields a call, ask about a Type 20, based on the Spec C and perhaps with a slightly more aggressive map - that should see about 320bhp. If that's too expensive, try an '03 or '04 Spec C instead.
I get 327bhp with the standard Powerstation/Litchfields UK map and the Miltek exhaust used on both the T20 and T25 . A more agressive map should see the 340-350 your friend is looking for. 350bhp gives 255bhp/tonne in a Spec C compared to 238bhp/tonne for a standard STi with the same power. Not a huge difference but noticeable I think.
Old 07 June 2005, 05:35 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

What is an aggressive map!!!

I love the terminology that some people use!

Is it someone shouting at the laptop when mapping?

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 07 June 2005, 07:22 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

What is an aggressive map!!!

I love the terminology that some people use!

Is it someone shouting at the laptop when mapping?

Regards,
Shaun.
What's the correct terminology then Shaun? Please enlighten those of us less well informed ...
Old 07 June 2005, 07:27 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Spec-cie,
Did you not notice the smileys and also the sheer irony of such a term, or has all humour been lost in the world? By the tone of your reply I suggest it has been.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 07 June 2005, 08:05 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Spec-cie,
Did you not notice the smileys and also the sheer irony of such a term, or has all humour been lost in the world? By the tone of your reply I suggest it has been.

Regards,
Shaun.
No, just round my house at the moment. Apologies ... a difficult day. I'm off out for a drive which will cheer me up no end ... with my current tory map.
Old 07 June 2005, 11:51 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by spec-cie
I also use mine as my only family car ...
spec-cie,

Thanks for the info. I currently have an UK MY00 saloon. How 'family friendly' is the Spec C. I've been in an Evo 260 and the ride put me off ever buying one of those. How does the Spec C ride compare to an Evo?

Mark.
Old 08 June 2005, 09:41 AM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wuss
spec-cie,

Thanks for the info. I currently have an UK MY00 saloon. How 'family friendly' is the Spec C. I've been in an Evo 260 and the ride put me off ever buying one of those. How does the Spec C ride compare to an Evo?

Mark.
I had an MY00 UK PPP before the Spec C. I loved the classic but the Spec C knocks it into the weeds: the ride is stiffer but not necessarily harsher ... hard to describe but the handling of the new car is much more 'sophisticated' ... you feel more but not in a bad way. My wife and son are both fine in it and I drove it to the Nurburgring a couple of months ago (1800 miles over three days) ... bit of a sore ar$e as I'd expect after three solid days of driving but nothing too bad.

I drove an MR340 before I bought the C and I'd say they have similar rides (although I thought the 340's handling was much more detached than the C's). If you found the 260 too harsh, it's definitely worth trying before you buy. If you're in the East Anglia area, I might be able to help you out.

Also, a lot is made of the lack of sound deadening in the Spec C but, even with the Miltek, I think it is no louder than the PPP exhaust. If you leave the standard exhaust on (good for ~310bhp), it's positively quiet.
Old 08 June 2005, 12:42 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Smile

I had an MY00 UK PPP before the Spec C. I loved the classic but the Spec C knocks it into the weeds: the ride is stiffer but not necessarily harsher ... hard to describe but the handling of the new car is much more 'sophisticated' ... you feel more but not in a bad way. My wife and son are both fine in it and I drove it to the Nurburgring a couple of months ago (1800 miles over three days) ... bit of a sore ar$e as I'd expect after three solid days of driving but nothing too bad.

I drove an MR340 before I bought the C and I'd say they have similar rides (although I thought the 340's handling was much more detached than the C's). If you found the 260 too harsh, it's definitely worth trying before you buy. If you're in the East Anglia area, I might be able to help you out.

Also, a lot is made of the lack of sound deadening in the Spec C but, even with the Miltek, I think it is no louder than the PPP exhaust. If you leave the standard exhaust on (good for ~310bhp), it's positively quiet.
Thanks for the info. Is your car the Type RA? Is there anything you would like to change about the car? Is it lacking in any way?

Apologies for all the questions...

Mark.
Old 08 June 2005, 02:20 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info. Is your car the Type RA? Is there anything you would like to change about the car? Is it lacking in any way?

Apologies for all the questions...

Mark.
Yep, mine is a Type RA WR Limited ... for the extra 20kg, the climate control and central locking are just too nice ... plus its my only car so I drive it all the time, including long trips in the summer. I'll probably go for a more agressive () map after it hits 10000 miles ... TSL reckon 350-360bhp is realistic but that it's worth waiting until the engine is properly run in.

Other than that, I can't really fault it. Standard suspension and brakes are superb although I'll probably upgrade when I have to replace them ... but I always do that anyway. I put in a radio with iPod hook-up for long journeys and some mud flaps but that's it. Only way its lacking is by not being an Aston Martin ... but it's faster so I'm happy.
Old 09 June 2005, 06:28 PM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep, mine is a Type RA WR Limited...
You lucky so-and-so... You're not planning on selling up in the near future are you?!! PM me for first refusal if you do.

Mark.
Old 10 June 2005, 02:25 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

You lucky so-and-so... You're not planning on selling up in the near future are you?!! PM me for first refusal if you do.

Mark.
'Fraid not mate ... I'm planning to hang on to this for a loooong time. However, I noticed Iain Litchfield has an unregistered WR Limited on his stocklist ...
Old 10 June 2005, 03:00 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive probably been one of the longest owners of a Spec C on here (16+ months) and can say its an extraordinary car, but its not really a family car, mainly you can see this when trying to take passengers or change stations on the radio (where fitted)
But it is probably one of the best point to point cars out there, and i came from an MY00 PPP'd car, even new the C was quicker, power from as little as 1500rpm, amazing! though you need the STi panel filter as the top end is quite restrictive above 6500rpm.

Tony
Old 10 June 2005, 03:01 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

WUSS, look here>>> www.wickedkit.com as they had one in stock!

Tony
Old 10 June 2005, 03:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Oh they do have a blue one in, for some reason the v-ltds dont seem to hold their value as much as the standard car but they also have a 2004 V-ltd (non-spec c) in which is a very rare car!

Tony
Old 13 June 2005, 09:24 AM
Wuss
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Ive probably been one of the longest owners of a Spec C on here (16+ months) and can say its an extraordinary car, but its not really a family car, mainly you can see this when trying to take passengers or change stations on the radio (where fitted)
But it is probably one of the best point to point cars out there, and i came from an MY00 PPP'd car, even new the C was quicker, power from as little as 1500rpm, amazing! though you need the STi panel filter as the top end is quite restrictive above 6500rpm.

Tony
Tony,

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, the family car issue is quite important due to this being my only car and my having a one year old son. Are there any 'softer' options which are still a good compromise or should I stick with an MY05 WRX + PPP? I assume you have driven a UK STi - is the Spec C ride really that hard in comparison? Once again, sorry for all the questions but I do not want to drive miles for a test drive if I am ultimately wasting my time...

Mark.

Last edited by Wuss; 13 June 2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 13 June 2005, 10:17 AM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Wuss,

I would take any opinion subjectively tbh.

I went from a MY03 STi with the Prodrive Handling kit (springs and PFF wheels) and I personally dont find the ride quality that much different...... but that is my opinion and as already said, others have different views.

I was under the assumption that Spec C's were that hard and uncomprimising, from what I had read that others had given views on. I did then think what all the fuss was about when I actually drove one. Nobody is right or wrong, as it is down to personal taste and what someone may find acceptable, others will not.

The best way to find out is to get a test drive.

Regards,
Shaun.
Old 13 June 2005, 11:14 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wuss,

I drove one of the first type UK's and the Spec C's is harder, but its also more absorbent, but its considerably harder than a wrx's, as a few of my friends have pointed out but over rough surfaces you may find the ride a little uncompromising, 80 on the motorway when you hit slightly rough surfaces, you will have difficulty changing the station on the radio, or even A class roads, but its a lot easier for the driver, not as much for the passenger.
2 for sale here>> www.just-sports.org
Good chance of a test drive

Tony
Old 13 June 2005, 03:27 PM
spec-cie
Scooby Regular

Go for a test-drive mate. These can work out as family cars (they have a boot and four doors for a start!) if your family appreciates them. I've had my two-year-old nephew and five-year-old niece in mine and they both love it ... but we only went 50 miles. My son, who's been with me to the Nurburgring, France and Newcastle, is thirteen and more than happy to just hang on ...

Good luck choosing.