Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

!!! WARNING !!! FRAUDSTER ABOUT !!!!

Old 29 May 2005, 08:20 PM
pele
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !!! WARNING !!! FRAUDSTER ABOUT !!!!

Just a warning to all you people out there .

A very good friend aka Q Dog to his friends has just lost his car to a con man!!!!

The man in question known as Michael O"Shea poses as a buyer from Ireland and arrahges to meet with you, after asking all the right questions about the car he then wishes to buy it and is armed with a bankers draft for the asking amount.

This bankers draft then turns out to be a fake !!!!!

so your left with no car and no money !!!!!!

I would like to point out that this bankers draft was as good as an original and had been checked for the water marks and security banding etc

The cae in question was a type R in sonic blue, it looks standard but for the hks style exhast and the "KentScoobies" sun strip

The reg is R610 XKR

If this vehicle is spotted please contact Quinten on 07733367610

and inform the police of its location

This man has done this several times before so lets help catch him

Many Thanks
Old 29 May 2005, 08:31 PM
leonpoole
Scooby Regular

What a tw@t
Old 29 May 2005, 08:37 PM
Dave uk blue mica
Scooby Regular

i've never accepted anything but cash for any car i've ever sold, fake bankers drafts are so easy to get hold of and i always check the notes too so theres so much funny money about.
Old 29 May 2005, 09:24 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I demand cash, and have it checked in the bank before they get my keys. I don't take payment any other way.
Old 29 May 2005, 09:42 PM
rizzy
BANNED

where was the car taken from what area?
Old 29 May 2005, 09:50 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

*$%#&@!!!!!

Here's an archive picture I have:

Hope this helps.
Old 29 May 2005, 10:55 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't hindsight wonderful

That's a real bummer for the guy. Doesn't the car now become a stolen vehicle though? Where can he take it from here?

Why can't people work for things instead of just taking them from hardworking people It's getting far too common
Old 29 May 2005, 11:06 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I take it that the insurance does not cover an incident like this?

I hope that it somehow does, and that the police get him. I will certainly be looking out for the car.
Old 29 May 2005, 11:11 PM
iamevilhomer
Scooby Regular

and the ***** gives us irish a bad name too! Unfortunately the likelihood is the car has already been ringed and will soon be sold in a pub sometime soon, and another poor buyer will shell out for what they think is a genuine motor.
Happens everyday.
Old 29 May 2005, 11:17 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
I take it that the insurance does not cover an incident like this?

I hope that it somehow does, and that the police get him. I will certainly be looking out for the car.
I would doubt that it does because the owner handed over the keys willingly If your car is stolen with the keys in pretty much any circumstance the insurance don't want to know
Old 29 May 2005, 11:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bankers Drafts are absolutely fine, AS LONG AS you ring the issuing bank for confirmation of the number and amount.

Bankers drafts can only be made out when the buyer has the sellers name .... always make sure the deal is done when the banks are open!!

Pete
Old 29 May 2005, 11:31 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Never realised that you could confirm the validity of the draft. Is the check binding though. If the bank comes back to you a few months later wanting their money, they can still get it.

After all person X gets fraudulent money, and opens account Y with dodgy ID. Then makes a draft from account Y to person Z. Z rings up and checks, all is fine.

But the whole series of transactions is fraudulent, and AFAIK, the money from the draft can be recovered from you still
Old 29 May 2005, 11:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

A genuine bankers draft is as good as cash .......

The Issuing bank has confirmed that the funds are available, the funds are removed from the buyers account (in that they are ring fenced)

All you need do is contact the branch that has just issued the draft, they will confirm if its genuine, if it is then its as good as cash! Better, actually, as you don't run the risk of forged notes or getting mugged on the way to the bank!

Pete
Old 29 May 2005, 11:46 PM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts

Gotta feel sorry for the guy
Old 29 May 2005, 11:48 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
A genuine bankers draft is as good as cash .......

The Issuing bank has confirmed that the funds are available, the funds are removed from the buyers account (in that they are ring fenced)

All you need do is contact the branch that has just issued the draft, they will confirm if its genuine, if it is then its as good as cash! Better, actually, as you don't run the risk of forged notes or getting mugged on the way to the bank!

Pete
Not sure about that Pete. If the money the bank pays out was stolen, and the police can track it, they can recover the funds from you

That is how the scam often works. You get the money in your account, and then 2-3 months later you are contacted by the bank/police and then informed that the cash paid to you is not legit, and removed from your account.
Old 29 May 2005, 11:52 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SCD Simon
Gotta feel sorry for the guy
Just a bit! He got duped by someone he obviously thought was genuine then lost his beautiful car and the money

I still want to know what happens about the car now. Is it stolen or property of the trickster because it was signed over to him?
Old 29 May 2005, 11:54 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I think you are getting the wrong end of the stick ... I am NOT talking about Money TRANSFERS ...

Bankers Drafts are drawn on an account with cleared funds in the account ...... its essentially the banks money ....

How can they get the money back from you if its a genuine bankers draft - remember, its the BANK that is guaranteeing the cheque NOT the account holder ...

A bankers Draft is the BEST way to get paid .... if you check its genuine with a 2 minute telephone call ..

Pete
Old 29 May 2005, 11:58 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
Just a bit! He got duped by someone he obviously thought was genuine then lost his beautiful car and the money

I still want to know what happens about the car now. Is it stolen or property of the trickster because it was signed over to him?
The car is stolen property, and can be recovered if found.
Old 30 May 2005, 12:01 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
I think you are getting the wrong end of the stick ... I am NOT talking about Money TRANSFERS ...

Bankers Drafts are drawn on an account with cleared funds in the account ...... its essentially the banks money ....

How can they get the money back from you if its a genuine bankers draft - remember, its the BANK that is guaranteeing the cheque NOT the account holder ...

A bankers Draft is the BEST way to get paid .... if you check its genuine with a 2 minute telephone call ..

Pete
Its too late for me to go into this now. Will pick this up tomorrow. I really hope you are right, but I'm pretty sure that you are not

You seem to be talking about the transactoin. I am in total agreement that if do what you say to do, you WILL get your money. The problem is that if that moeny is stolen, it CAN be recovered by the police. It does not matter how it is transferred.

After all, if what you are saying is the case, then all criminals in the country would simply use bankers drafts when they commit their crimes and then the police will never be able to recover any of the cash.

Will chat about this tomorrow when I can think straight and do some research. We need definative answers one way or another.
Old 30 May 2005, 12:02 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

My understanding was how Pete tells it. I believe it is also the case with a building society cheque (assuming you can still get them) - the building society actually underwrites the cheque, not the account / account holder.

Sorry to hear about Q-dog. As people have commented, it's easy to be wise after the event, but that doesn't help now.

Luminous - I'll be curious to hear about the answers. However, I thought Banker's drafts are effectively "bought" from the bank as a secure kind of funds. Therefore, I thought the banker's draft will have been the thing "purchased" using illegal funds, not the car (?). Put it another way - buying a car using stolen cash versus buying a banker's draft using stolen cash - why should one be treated differently to the other

Last edited by hades; 30 May 2005 at 12:09 AM.
Old 30 May 2005, 12:10 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

There are now very strict money laundering rules.

Lets assume that a genuine account holder steals £10,000 and then gets the Bank to write a cheque out and draw that money into the Banks account, the Bank then writes out a cheque in YOUR favour ............. the police cannot come to you looking for that money back!

Remember one very important point, the Bankers Draft is drawn on the Banks own Account NOT the buyers Account!! The Bank have taken the funds from the buyers account - but, its the BANKS money YOU get!

Hence, it is rock solid the safest way to sell a car, or anything else!!

pete
Old 30 May 2005, 09:01 AM
jbwrx300
Scooby Regular

Until 12 months ago I worked for a bank, and had exposure to numerous money laundering/fraud cases.

If a draft it is genuine, the funds are held by the bank and ring fenced, and the account number on the draft is the bank's not the customer's.

If it later transpires that the money was fraudulently deposited eg with dodgy id or other documentation when the accounts were opened, this is then THE BANKS RESPONSIBILITY for not completing the correct checks and anti money laundering processes when the accounts were opened.

If this were the case NCIS would get involved to trace the people behind the scam. They would probably contact you to ask what the draft was used for, but would then go after the account holders to freeze any other identifiable assets under the proceeds of crimes act. It then depends on how large the overall operation is as to whether the courts can confiscate assets in relation to the proceeds of crime legislation.

I think some people may be confusing this issue with the issue of buying a stolen car - whereby the car would be confiscated and you would be in effect fooked.

As the bank is involved, they have a code of conduct to subscribe to, and one of the things that this involves is to ensure legitimacy of funds pasing through its accounts. This would count as their negligence - not yours and they would stand the loss provided you had followed the guidelines

here http://www.bba.org.uk/bba/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=263&a=654

Last edited by jbwrx300; 30 May 2005 at 09:04 AM.
Old 30 May 2005, 10:51 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Fantastic news. Very glad to be wrong
Old 30 May 2005, 11:02 AM
jonny gav
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Originally Posted by iamevilhomer
and the ***** gives us irish a bad name too! Unfortunately the likelihood is the car has already been ringed and will soon be sold in a pub sometime soon, and another poor buyer will shell out for what they think is a genuine motor.
Happens everyday.
doubt he was a real irishman to be honest, a lot of the pikey's have a fake irish accent so i would put money on it being one of them.

very sorry to here about your loss
Old 30 May 2005, 02:00 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

S**t wish I'd have kept my mails from this guy. He approached me about mine currently for sale but I deleted it without even replying. Gut feeling.....I can't even remember the content of the mail tbh the name just sticks in my mind.

What a t**t.
Old 30 May 2005, 02:43 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

If the draft is a fake (and there are loads of very good ones about at the moment) then it hasn't even gone through a bank in the first place..! Hence the need to phone the bank to confirm the validity of the draft..!

As for cash, I've accepted cash for cars in the past and gone with the buyer to the bank to pay it in, thinking this would ensure the money was genuine. However it turns out that the cashier only does the ultra voilet test (not 100% accurate) on the wads when the money is payed in. If the money turns out to be 'funny' when it's checked later then they will remove it from your account..! So basically it's very difficult to get cash checked thouroughly (sp?) enough when selling a car..!

A CONFIRMED bankers draft is the only secure way..!
Old 30 May 2005, 03:41 PM
busanuta
Scooby Regular

this is how these people get away with things like this cus we all are so trusting and don t know any different i will only have cash what ever i sell or work i do that way its in your hands and i do check the notes with a fake note pen and silver thread etc don t trust anyone thats my policy money is the route to all evil my dads saying and its true sorry to hear about your mates loss i feel deeply for him . that thieving scum bag should be hanged by his gonads

Last edited by busanuta; 30 May 2005 at 03:42 PM. Reason: mistake
Old 30 May 2005, 03:47 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

I do agree with you there. Although I did find your post difficult to understand as it is lacking P-U-N-C-T-U-A-T-I-O-N
Old 30 May 2005, 05:53 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by leonpoole
What a tw@t
I dont think fucquit comments like this help, do you?

I know Q-Dog and I would believe him to be of sound judgement.

Le's face it, if the guy rang and came to his house, would it make any difference to the draft being stolen?

Not really, I have sold cars before where someone comes back the next/few days later and gives over a bankers draft, who hasn't?

The thing I would like to know, is why our nice Banking organisations are not warning us of such frauds when they send out statements. No profit in it???
Old 30 May 2005, 05:57 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Hol
I dont think fucquit comments like this help, do you?

I know Q-Dog and I would believe him to be of sound judgement.

Le's face it, if the guy rang and came to his house, would it make any difference to the draft being stolen?

Not really, I have sold cars before where someone comes back the next/few days later and gives over a bankers draft, who hasn't?

The thing I would like to know, is why our nice Banking organisations are not warning us of such frauds when they send out statements. No profit in it???
Think you may have got the wrong end of the stick here. I read the "what a Tw*t" comment as being aimed at the **** who is handing over the dodgy drafts. Not the nice innocent person who is receiving them.

Oh, and I agree with you about the banking system. If you give them something, and they accept it, it shoudl be their problem. If you accept a dodgy note, its your loss, should be the same for them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: !!! WARNING !!! FRAUDSTER ABOUT !!!!