Impreza P1

Search this Thread

Old 29 May 2005, 02:59 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Impreza P1

Hey guys,

Just registered as I've been looking at trading in my Clio 182 for an Impreza P1 early next year. Seem to have found some great prices (around 15k for a decent one) but was wondering what you all made of the P1 - cant really get much more of an opinion than on here as it seems the place to be when Scoobies are in question!
As I said, I'll have about £15 - £16k to spend and would be very grateful if you could give me a suggested mileage and spec to go for when the time comes.

Cheers!
Old 29 May 2005, 03:01 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of this will depend on your age, but you can now pick up some of the 2002 STi type UK's for that sort of money, so you get a car thats newer, may have the PPP, possably still has a warranty, and doesnt have the trouble with engines like the P1 can have.....

Tony
Old 29 May 2005, 03:04 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

if i was in that position i'd go for the newer sti as tony said! but if its the classic your after i'd choose a TYPE R before the P1
Old 29 May 2005, 03:05 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Some of this will depend on your age, but you can now pick up some of the 2002 STi type UK's for that sort of money, so you get a car thats newer, may have the PPP, possably still has a warranty, and doesnt have the trouble with engines like the P1 can have.....

Tony
Yeah, I 've noticed a few about, including UK300s for around the same price, most even cheaper, but I've always been a big fan of the P1 in almost every respect. The looks, performance, sound, presence. In my opinion its one of, if not the, best Impreza made.
I do like the new shape Scoobies but would prefer the P1. I'll be 26 next month out of interest.

The Type R is awesome too, but the insurance quote kinda kicked my in the nuts.
Old 29 May 2005, 03:15 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

If you want to get a P1 Scutch just go for it, surprisingly enough this isn't the best place for info on the P1. People are more interested in recommending a Type-R than highlighting any of the P1's strong points.

www.p1woc.co.uk - for the best P1 info.
Old 29 May 2005, 03:22 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluenose172
If you want to get a P1 Scutch just go for it, surprisingly enough this isn't the best place for info on the P1. People are more interested in recommending a Type-R than highlighting any of the P1's strong points.

www.p1woc.co.uk - for the best P1 info.
lol, cheers! Good website link that bud.
I know the P1s strong points really, well I have an idea, what I was after was the weak points, and not compared with a Type-R (nice motors, but as I said insurance is a killer), more with compared to a 182 or a Evo 6 for example. Checked up on those and the running costs were dreadful.
Old 29 May 2005, 03:25 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

The P1 doesnt actually have any real major points over a type R, it anything the R IS a better car, but the P1 is better all round and easier to live with on a daily basis.
The P1 was never the best car that subaru produced, if anything it was quite average.

Tony
Old 29 May 2005, 03:35 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

The P1 doesnt actually have any real major points over a type R, it anything the R IS a better car, but the P1 is better all round and easier to live with on a daily basis.
The P1 was never the best car that subaru produced, if anything it was quite average.

Tony
Quite average?! I think it looks amazing, the Type R being almost identical in that respect, the performance is well above 'average' for an Impreza. Even the newer shape models arent as point to point fast as the P1. The running costs are very easy to live with when comparing it to other cars in its league - which to be honest, with the figures it gives off, are supercars. What would you consider to be above 'average' on your scale? Each to their own, I respect your opinion, but I dont think you can class the P1 as quite average surely?
Old 29 May 2005, 03:41 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

I would love a P1 but TBH i would probably go for the newer STI 2002 onwards.

However, if the right P1, right miles, right money then who knows. + you can get extended warranties assuming the car has not been modded (too much!?!)

Fat lot of help i was then
Old 29 May 2005, 03:51 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scutch
Quite average?! I think it looks amazing, the Type R being almost identical in that respect, the performance is well above 'average' for an Impreza. Even the newer shape models arent as point to point fast as the P1. The running costs are very easy to live with when comparing it to other cars in its league - which to be honest, with the figures it gives off, are supercars. What would you consider to be above 'average' on your scale? Each to their own, I respect your opinion, but I dont think you can class the P1 as quite average surely?

Dont fall into the trap thinking that this is like a type r, its a completly different car, it shares the shell and the engine, but little else.
Its not a true STi in the sense, its a hybrid, you loose out on quite a few thing, plus its not as quick as a type r nor do all of them have the 2 pot rear brakes like a type r does, its average when it comes to the STi of that year, nothing more.

Tony
Old 29 May 2005, 03:51 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
I would love a P1 but TBH i would probably go for the newer STI 2002 onwards.

However, if the right P1, right miles, right money then who knows. + you can get extended warranties assuming the car has not been modded (too much!?!)

Fat lot of help i was then
lol. It would have to be less than 30-40k miles I reckon. If it was trade then a warranty would be a must too as I've heard the engines can go bang
Old 29 May 2005, 03:52 PM
Scutch
Scooby Regular

Dont fall into the trap thinking that this is like a type r, its a completly different car, it shares the shell and the engine, but little else.
Its not a true STi in the sense, its a hybrid, you loose out on quite a few thing, plus its not as quick as a type r nor do all of them have the 2 pot rear brakes like a type r does, its average when it comes to the STi of that year, nothing more.

Tony
I'll check out the Type Rs a bit more in depth, but as I say its the insurance really thats putting me off them
Old 29 May 2005, 03:56 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

try a-plan for insurance, they are the insurance company of choice at the moment for subaru drivers
Old 29 May 2005, 03:56 PM
icon1425
Scooby Regular

Default P1

Originally Posted by Scutch
I'll check out the Type Rs a bit more in depth, but as I say its the insurance really thats putting me off them
Yeah mines just had new engine at 66,000 miles. They do go pop im affraid.
Old 29 May 2005, 04:05 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

www.just-sports.org

they have a nice 2002 car in

Tony
Old 29 May 2005, 06:49 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I've owned both a P1 and a Type-R, both are excellent cars but the Type-R is what i'm driving now.

The P1 has slightly longer gearing so is a bit more of a relaxed drive on long trips. The Type-R is geared lower so can be a bit noisy, especially when you throw a de-cat into the mix. The P1 will go off the clock* (indicated 160mph) without any drama, the Type-R will do around 155mph on the limiter* but gets there quicker.

Most P1's will still have extendable warranty with Subaru/IM, this is big peace of mind considering the engines can go pop if not meticulously looked after. Also being a UK car you can get a P1 serviced at any Subaru UK dealership without them griping that it's an import.

P1 has softer suspension than a Type-R, this might be a decider depending on what you prefer. I've had my Type-R stiffened up as I don't do huge miles and can put up with the noise/vibration.

Type-R has a totally different front/centre/rear diffs to a P1 so handles quite differently, particularly on the limit. Type-R's are known for being a bit tail happy, then again I lost the back on my P1 occasionally when giving it some stick.

Both are magnets for to$$ers and lowlife scum while you're driving or when you're parked up, even more so than 'normal' scoobys. You'll be amazed at the w@nkers who'll want to overtake you, pull out in front of you, or cut you up - just because you drive an overtly fast looking car. Most of the time it's sour grapes. If you don't like attention (good and bad) then maybe reconsider. I don't like parking mine anywhere I can't see it.

Both are awesome fun to drive, they have amazing grin factor and are potential licence losers.

* allegedly

Deffo recommend joining http://www.p1woc.co.uk
Old 29 May 2005, 07:27 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want a classic then the P1 is a great choice. I think that they will hold thier value better than any other classic by far if well looked after. They are a great package for UK roads and are considered to be the best classic all-rounder. Get a low miles minter and enjoy.

The new age STi's are good, especially if remapped but large and heavy.

Be prepared to have to increase the performance of the std P1 or STi8 etc as a 182 won't get dropped by one otherwise...
F
Old 29 May 2005, 07:29 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

"Be prepared to have to increase the performance of the std P1 or STi8 etc as a 182 won't get dropped by one otherwise" - thats a joke right?
Old 29 May 2005, 10:40 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I have to say, also, don't believe for a second that a type r/p1 could stay with a new shape sti point to point.

If comparing to the newer cars with dccdas, I would be surprised if a like driven P1 would even get close.

The new car may be heavier, but it does handle better, and has significantly more mechanical grip.
Old 29 May 2005, 10:41 PM
icon1425
Scooby Regular

Your having a bloody laugh mate!!! P1, STI, TYPE-R etc will have a clio182 for breakfast.
Originally Posted by Floyd
If you want a classic then the P1 is a great choice. I think that they will hold thier value better than any other classic by far if well looked after. They are a great package for UK roads and are considered to be the best classic all-rounder. Get a low miles minter and enjoy.

The new age STi's are good, especially if remapped but large and heavy.

Be prepared to have to increase the performance of the std P1 or STi8 etc as a 182 won't get dropped by one otherwise...
F
Old 29 May 2005, 10:48 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam M
I have to say, also, don't believe for a second that a type r/p1 could stay with a new shape sti point to point.

If comparing to the newer cars with dccdas, I would be surprised if a like driven P1 would even get close.

The new car may be heavier, but it does handle better, and has significantly more mechanical grip.
So how do you explain the P1 lapping the same time around Bedford to the WR1??(EVO mag)

Average drivers, not taking it to the limit, on a public road and there will be naff all in it!
Old 29 May 2005, 11:04 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by bluenose172
So how do you explain the P1 lapping the same time around Bedford to the WR1??(EVO mag)

Average drivers, not taking it to the limit, on a public road and there will be naff all in it!

You could also say, explain why the Spec C whooped about 5 seconds off the P1's time, and its heavier

Tony
Old 29 May 2005, 11:06 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Who mentioned Spec-C, remind me what car you drive again........
Old 29 May 2005, 11:08 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

unfortunatly tony has got a bloody good point though!
Old 29 May 2005, 11:12 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

He may have a point, but quite how relevant it is to this post is beyond me.
Old 29 May 2005, 11:33 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Adam made the point, i just added to it

Tony
Old 30 May 2005, 03:30 PM
Scrappy9
Scooby Regular

Scutch.

As said earlier, have a look at P1woc there is alot of useful P1 information on there and you will get both sides of the arguement re buying running a P1.

I find the P1 to be a fantastic car.
Old 30 May 2005, 07:09 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Adam, I think you'll find a well driven P1/Type R will stay with a new age STi on track or the road. You'd be insane to try to find any difference on the road in real terms.

Oh, and I'm not joking about the Clio - wake up and smell the coffee chaps, the Impreza is losing ground FAST!

F
Old 30 May 2005, 07:14 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Floyd
Adam, I think you'll find a well driven P1/Type R will stay with a new age STi on track or the road. You'd be insane to try to find any difference on the road in real terms.

Oh, and I'm not joking about the Clio - wake up and smell the coffee chaps, the Impreza is losing ground FAST!

F
The 182 Cup will be a good handler, but the P1/TypeR would blow it off the road in a straight line....at ANY increment.
Old 30 May 2005, 07:21 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Blown away is an exageration IMO, more like ease away. On a twisty B road there would be very little in it.

F

Quick Reply: Impreza P1