Which new STi to go for

Search this Thread

Old 26 May 2005, 08:51 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which new STi to go for

Hi all,

Been away from Impreza ownership for a while but I feel the calling.....
I'm looking for a new Impreza STi but struggling on what to go for - I reckon there's 3 basic options:

UK STi with free PPP - £24,800 ish

JDM STi - £25,800 ish

Euro STi Import (Alliance) - £21,700 + £1,000 security (tracker and alarm) + £1700 performance upgrade (WRC, etc) = £24,4000

With the older model it would be a JDM no questions, but now the Euro/UK car has DCCD it's not so clear cut. I also appreciate that going down the Euro import brings the price close to the official UK car but I will have a better choice of security and PPP-equivalent (or better).

Keep the warranty issue to one side for now!!!

Any thoughts appreciated!

Ian
Old 26 May 2005, 08:56 PM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

I researched the exact same question you have just asked for 4 weeks solid!!

I mean threads all over scooby forums, different companies, import centers, subaru dealers.

I ended up going for the TYPE UK Subaru, my main reason was for insurance, import was even more expensive, the Type UK was cheaper.

Also TSL for there well priced 333bhp upgrade + more goodies. I strongly suggest you do that to. It completely. I MEAN COMPLETELY changes the drive, the power delivery, EVERYTHING of the car! Its so worth the money.

I would go with the Type UK mate.

Last edited by G_Sleigh_STi; 26 May 2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 26 May 2005, 09:06 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Go JDM and get a rear wiper lol
Old 26 May 2005, 09:20 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Id go for the JDM model over a UK model anytime now just because they are a completely different beast to drive, and to get the power delivery of a JDM car on a uk car will cost you $$$$$

Pointers you need to know

You get quick rack steering on a JDM car (with drivers pack, also includes A-DCCD and lightweight BBS alloys), twin scroll turbo and uprated engine (MY03 onwards).

Now you get neither of these on a UK car, the engine alone is a reason to buy, its stronger and better than the "old" engine in the UK cars, stronger pistons, designed to develope more torque, lower and better power delivery, shorter 5th and 6th ratio's (ratio'd to 170mph instead of 183).
You want the drivers car, go JDM, you wont be disappointed (ive seen one of these tuned to 361bhp and 402lbs of torque, just decatted!! )
Old 26 May 2005, 09:23 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

You didnt add the rear wipe Tony
Old 26 May 2005, 09:24 PM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns

You want the drivers car, go JDM, you wont be disappointed (ive seen one of these tuned to 361bhp and 402lbs of torque, just decatted!! )
Ah god damn! No one told me that! Through all my questions! MY mission at the moment is to get my STi8 upto 400lbs of torque! GRRRR. lol
Old 26 May 2005, 09:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
You didnt add the rear wipe Tony
Oh yes, and a rear wiper

Tony
Old 26 May 2005, 09:54 PM
Up_North
Scooby Regular

Yeah Tony, etc - I know all about the JDM - I had a 2004 model but in a moment of utter stupidity sold it and went "sensible". I got it remapped by Bob Rawle. You also forgot the credit card holer next to the drinks holder (if the 2005 JDM still has it), the dancing dials at startup (does it still have these?), the variable instrument illumination ("Bright Switch", what "Bright Switch"?).

I just figured tha tthe gap between the JDM and Euro was a bit closer now and if I went down the Alliance + mod route I should get something easily as equal in day to day use as a JDM (which I'd want Bob to sort anyway + £650).

I feel a phone call to Mr Litchfield coming on. But then completely left field, there's a 2004 Spec C (the one with the air con, etc) for sale near to me for £20k - 2000 Japanese miles). Had a test drive of this a while ago - was pleasantly surpised - was expecting my fillings to fall out - but ride was very good.

Decisions, decisions

Ian