Sponsored by:

thinking of changing marques!

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2005, 12:58 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of changing marques!

I feel like a change of marque after 5 years of Subaru ownership.

I currently have an 03 WRX with PPP 16000 miles (in Silver).

I have been offered my car plus £1000 for an 03 ST220 (19000 miles, full leather, global closing etc).

Questions are: Do you think this a good offer, are the ST220's any good?

I know its a bit of a change (also considering 330d touring but would be a bit older) but I need a bit more room for kids etc.

Any help in making up my mind would be appreciated as I feel like I want to change then go for a blast and the doubts set in!
Old 25 May 2005, 01:12 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

I used to have an ST24 and they are indeed very nice cars - very different of course to the WRX PPP I have now.
Fast / Very comfortable / quiet / effortless cruising / hatch is brilliant for loads etc etc. Servicing very easy and reasonable..blah blah...
I would drive one tbh to see if you can live with the lack of adrenalin rush and handling
Old 25 May 2005, 01:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Fords value will drop faster than a ****** knickers!!

If you want to keep it then its fine, but its not going to offer you the solid reliability of Subaru.

The BMW 330d is the one to choose if you are going to change ..... I know that everyone hates BMW, but you've got to look at it from a resale angle too!

Pete
Old 25 May 2005, 01:32 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by pslewis
The Fords value will drop faster than a ****** knickers!!

If you want to keep it then its fine, but its not going to offer you the solid reliability of Subaru.

The BMW 330d is the one to choose if you are going to change ..... I know that everyone hates BMW, but you've got to look at it from a resale angle too!

Pete
Agree with Pete: Big engined Fords depreciate painfully, which is a pity as the Mondeo ST range are very good cars. Makes for an absolute steal if you want an older 2nd hand example though. Maybe you should sell yours and pick yourself up a bargin ST24 use all the extra wonga on something nice for you and the family.

Do bare in mind though that:

-Fords reliability isn't nearly as good as Subarus
-The car will feel significantly slower than the PPP WRX and won't be as exciting to drive (though it's a perfectly good steer)

NS04
Old 25 May 2005, 01:35 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Ford vs Subaru depreciation - hmmmm. Having lost 6k in as many months on my WRX I would say that there's not much in it between the 2 tbh on a new car...

The ford V6 is very solid - any probs with the car are very cheap / easy to fix on the whole and I never had a day off the road in 2 years of ownership..

Agree re the BMW though - very solid mota's with a good reputation..
Old 25 May 2005, 01:38 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

Oh yuk. I bet within a month you will regret swapping your wrx for a mondeo.
Old 25 May 2005, 01:48 PM
3times
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys,

I tend to agree with pretty much all that you have said but do fancy something a bit more refined (although not as exciting) and to be able to put the kids bikes in the back instead of one on the front seat seems to appeal.

As for the 330d, definitely seems to be the better choice but not as many available and it would have to be older (plus my 7 yr old says I can't buy German as he can't forgive them for the war. porsche will be ok though!)

I am due to drive the ST on friday.

Ins is up in a couple of weeks so will be trying to make a decision before then.
Old 25 May 2005, 02:09 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by 3times
Cheers guys,

As for the 330d, definitely seems to be the better choice but not as many available and it would have to be older (plus my 7 yr old says I can't buy German as he can't forgive them for the war. porsche will be ok though!)

LOL the boy needs to be taught a valuable lesson in adhering to one's principles!! Therefore:

-You may not buy a Ford owing to the fact that it's an American company (Gulf conflict controversy anyone?)

-You may not have a BMW or Porsche on the basis that they're both equally German!

-You must sell your Subaru immediately, owing to the role of Japan in the war.

May I suggest a car from Poland: The FSO polinez

Being principled sucks doesn't it!!!
Old 26 May 2005, 10:25 AM
Vlad
Scooby Newbie

Mondeo is FWD. Would you want to go back to that after having a proper car.

If you want the luxury etc, why not go for a Lexus IS200/300. RWD and as well built as a BMW.
Old 26 May 2005, 12:27 PM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vlad
Mondeo is FWD. Would you want to go back to that after having a proper car.

If you want the luxury etc, why not go for a Lexus IS200/300. RWD and as well built as a BMW.
And often only seen in automatic trim, and pretty low powered with limited scope for improvement.

Nowt wrong with a used ST200 - way better than an ST24. And I have to say, having owned a number of Subaru's (new) and a couple of Ford's, I've had more problems with the Subaru's than the Ford's so it's pretty mcuh chalk and cheese. Plus, Ford's will be cheaper to service and replace parts than the Scooby's.

Go with what you like, I'm not so blinkered as to think Subaru's are the best cars out there. Design and build (trim) quality is pretty poor compared to many others out there....