Sponsored by:

into the lion's den!

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2005, 02:10 PM
matt neil
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default into the lion's den!

this might have been asked before and i have searched the site honest! new to subaru ownership - just bought a spec B Legacy - and this has got me into thinking about an imprezza for track use...

however i am thoroughly confused by the different marque nomenclature; STi, WRX 22B etc - is there a bluffers guide or can soemone help a newbie?

looking for a car to polish, care for and occasionally screw around oullton park! i currently have a 3 series BM which is stripped etc but finding myself with less time to do the days on track, its a lot of money to have sat in the garage for just a what is turning into a few outings per year!

i'm ideally looking for something not too recent - i don't want to spend 1000's on buying it and i would like to be able to personalise it.

any ideas advice etc would be great - cheers
Old 20 May 2005, 02:28 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Welcome

You're not Matt Neil the touring car driver are you?

Originally Posted by matt neil
is there a bluffers guide or can soemone help a newbie?
Have a look here http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

Also there's quite a good book published by Haynes (written by a guy called Chris M????) about the Subaru Impreza, you can buy it in Halfrauds - loads of info in there too.

Once you've swatted up, you can ask for more specific info.

PS, look at STI Type R's or STI Type RA's - they're much more suited to track use.
Old 20 May 2005, 02:35 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

TBH if you're wanting a cost effective track car, you'd be better off with a Clio/205 type of car. Scoobs are hard on consumable and you'll find yourself spending a small fortune on brakes, tyres, clutches and everything else. A stripped out hot-hatch is so light that the wear on such things is much lower, and you can use standard parts from cheapo motor factors.

A set of pads for a Scoob that'll hold up on track will be between £100-200, and may last one or two full days hard use. My mates old Clio Cup Racer used a set of pads per season, and when he discovered a cracked disc trackside recently, it was just a quick trip down to the nearest GSF and replaced for about £40.

You should be able to get a fully prep'd 205 for somewhere between £1200 and £2500 depending on level of prep and which engine it's running. I know of one for sale, but there's still a glimmer of hope that me and my mates will sort our selves out and buy it as a club car
Old 20 May 2005, 02:41 PM
matt neil
Scooby Newbie

thanks guys - no i'm not matt neal - just thought i was being clever

when i used to compete it was mainly front drive and i don't like it - sorry, like the rears or the or all four to do the work. parts not too much of an issue as a friend has a GT race team so not so bad as he also has a side going importing cars from japan. thanks for the heads up on parts prices though.

its all just a thought at this stage but really hooked on the performance of the Legacy but not puting that on track