Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Come on then, if you think you're hard enough!

Search this Thread

Old 12 June 2000, 05:11 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Dear All,
Those that visit the RSOC BBS will probably know that it is our National Day on 30 July at Silverstone circuit.

Well there are some places left on the full Grand Prix track (£150) or for the 0-60 time trials (£20). Both prices admit driver and the car for a days worth of razzing against RS's of every description.

As has recently been proven, the 0-60 is the Scoobies forte and there are prizes up for grabs for the fastest car of the day.

I am taking my car on the track, so see any of you there that are brave enough to enter the lion's den.

Also the Norfolk RSOC group are camping the night before. Any who wish to join us are more than welcome (£5 per plot).

Contact Trudi (RSOC Administrator) on 01189 841 583 for any details / booking information.
Best regards
Mike Rainbird
Norfolk Group RSOC Chairman
Old 12 June 2000, 05:48 PM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I can get away from the wifes 30th, then I'll be there to kick your ****, Mikey.
Old 12 June 2000, 05:57 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Wink

Craig,
There's a song that springs to mind.... Now how the hell does it go?

Oh, I remember "Dreeeeeeam; dream, dream, dream,"!
LOL
Mike
Old 12 June 2000, 09:27 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

and youll be having nightmares mike, when i kick you ***.
Old 12 June 2000, 10:57 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Mike

Is there a Standard Car Section? Don't really fancy being squashed by dingy, monte & you! If there is, I feel a scalp coming off (not mine!)

Always guessed you guys were camp
Old 13 June 2000, 12:52 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Dingy, I dont think the figures some people get for the scoob are correct. Just look at the REVS magazine artical. 4.3's and 4.5's with two passengers and full fuel load. I dont think so. But you can only compare the cars on the day and the scoobs were faster. If I get 5.3 0-60(as at Trax99) at the national day in my UK car I bet no STi can beat it by more than a half a second. Harj, is that 0-60 kph?
Old 13 June 2000, 08:21 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Red face

Secret's out now, bummer! (oops, Freudian slip.. )
LOL
Mike
PS. No standard session James, you'll have to mix it with the "big boys" (if you know what I mean )

[This message has been edited by Mike Rainbird (edited 13-06-2000).]
Old 13 June 2000, 08:35 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Mike

No standard section, huh? That's 'cos you know you'd be beat

Can't have that on RS day, can we!
Old 13 June 2000, 08:51 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Mike,
You've got your delusions again - If I can get the same again or better as the Revs day, you won't even be close - and you know that. I'll be surprised if you get below 5 - but prove me wrong, and if I'm there and you beat me, I'll buy you a pint . But bring your wallet, 'cos you won't!
Old 13 June 2000, 09:00 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Im there! Need to get some more official 0-60 times as the last one at Santa Pod only said 3.9 seconds! Im sure I can amange 3.5

Harj...
Old 13 June 2000, 09:09 AM
Craig H
Scooby Regular

Hmmm,
Other deluded drivers here, methinks!
Old 13 June 2000, 09:27 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Talking

Aaaah

Do ya come from a land down under
where the the women glow
and the men chunder

All I can manage for 0-60 is 4.2 but that's in an American spec Impreza RS

Richard
Old 13 June 2000, 09:35 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

I think its comes down to ability Richard, not the car as Stef says!

Thats very quick indeed for a RS Scooby!

Harj........
Old 13 June 2000, 09:51 AM
dingy
Scooby Regular

This is all very funny, Craig doesn't think i can get less than 5 sec's 0-60, maybe so (i need slicks), but if you scoobie lot can do 4 sec's why is you 1/4 mile never so good..

You all should be doing late 11's or low 12's not v.late 12's and 13, 14, 15's

confusion all round.....
Old 13 June 2000, 01:00 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mr Leigh,

Sorry buts its MPH, with the mods im running and boost for an Import Scoob, its about right with a good driver .

Harj....
Old 13 June 2000, 01:15 PM
JON HUGHES
Scooby Regular

Wink

Who's gonna drive your car then Harj
Old 13 June 2000, 01:26 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Wink

Craig,
Due to the power I run, I can only do one thing or the other on the 30th (0-60 or track action). This is because the "road" diff would lunch itself and the locked diff is sh!te round corners. As it takes 1½ hours to swap them over (with two people working underneath the car on axles stands), I can't justify the lost time in doing both events. As I get my kicks from beating Scoobies in a straight line at Santa Pod, I will be on the track to prove the handling capabilities instead on that day.

Accordingly, if you think your Scooby is up to beating my "ickle" Cossie, then come on the track (oh er! ) and experience the full Grand Prix circuit. Don't worry about being a Silverstone virgin, as so am I.......

At least that way we can try and put John back in his place....
LOL
Mike
Old 13 June 2000, 02:58 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mike Rainbird:
<B>At least that way we can try and put John back in his place....
LOL
Mike[/quote]

Try is the right term mate, prepair for a wupping

LOL
john

Old 13 June 2000, 03:22 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Talking

I can see me old mate John F taking first prize in this competition.
Old 13 June 2000, 03:24 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

John,
500bhp will give me a power to weight ratio of just under 400bhp per ton, and with better aerodynamics and slicks, I still hold out my chances
LOL
Mike
Old 13 June 2000, 03:26 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

MrLeigh,

You said "If I get 5.3 0-60(as at Trax99) at the national day in my UK car I bet no STi can beat it by more than a half a second.". Just wondered, did you remember to take the handbrake off? Sorry dude, but, IIRC, there are STI cars out there that might just manage to pull 60MPH in less than 4.8seconds.

Moray
Old 13 June 2000, 03:34 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Mike,

I suspect John's car being lighter will have the advantage when it comes to braking... which is quite helpful.

Moray
Old 13 June 2000, 03:35 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

Mike, you seem to be asuming i will not be running on slicks.

If there is one thing i have learned in life, its asume nothing.

As for the Aerodynamics, dont be so sure you have me beaten there, have you never heard of the aero package for a westfield.

Finaly, do you seriously think that tank of yours is gonna be anything resembling close to my pace from bridge corner, through the complex, copse and beckets. I dont think so mate. Prepair for a wupping mike, all 500BHP worth of you.

PS. I aint a virgin either (silverstone anyway ), did it last year and i was wupping 420BHP cossies on slicks in my 350BHP road tyred sapphire.

Most RS guys were taking copse in 3rd, i was taking it in 4th sideways mate. Power is no use without control. LOL
Old 13 June 2000, 03:42 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Talking

OH, almost forgot to mention. I am 480BHP/tonne.

I have also now got wilwood 4 pot racing brakes, an extra 75BHP, sticky tyres and uprated spring rates since our last meeting.

I think i am learning to drive it now aswell
Old 13 June 2000, 03:44 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

2 things,

first, Mike, I seem to remember Stef proving to you that even when you were on slicks and he waqsn't he could whoop your **** around donington. So why all of a sudden do you have to prove the sapphire can handle. Surely you have already lost that one. I think you stick to the drag strip.

ps. didn't stef have a significantly lower power and torque output, can't quirte remeber.

2. Mr. Felstead, full respect for choice of car, just a question, why a westfield and not a caterham? Can the westfield handle bigger engines etc, and more power. I am thinking of building a kit and until now didn't think to look beyond caterham.
Old 13 June 2000, 04:03 PM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Adam,
I only had slicks on the back then (standard road tyres on the front), which meant that I couldn't push the front end through the corners. By 30 July, I should have sourced slicks all round.

Also since then I have junked the AVO suspension and gone for a full LEDA set up with the car corner weighted and geometry / balance optimised.

In addition to this, it will be on the full Grand Prix circuit, which I am told is VERY fast (155mph down the Hanger straight in Mr Felstead's 350bhp Cossie).

I hope this clarifies....
Mike

[This message has been edited by Mike Rainbird (edited 13-06-2000).]
Old 13 June 2000, 04:03 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Hi Adam,

Good question mate. There were 2 reasons i went for a westfield over a caterham. The first is cost. Caterhams are overpriced status symbols in the most part, cars like the r500 being the exception, they are ballistic, but still bloody expensive. Most caterhams have fairly small engines and aren't what i call quick cars.

The westfield is significantly cheeper to buy and generally speaking use bigger engines. I was toying with the idea of a SEiGHT or the ZEi220(cosworth turbo) as i know how to tune both engines to produce big power.
I went for the ZEi in the end because its cheeper and easier to make big power, plus the car i found has huge history and all the right bits to take 350BHP.
I was close to building myself a 5litre V8 westfield with 450BHP but in the end sense prevailed as the cost was stagering to do it right.

So if you want value for money and big power go the westfield route, if you want a status symbol and more traditional Lotus seven capabilities go for the caterham.

Caterhams are fabulous cars but they make nothing that can come close to the power delivery charicteristics of my 350BHP turbo westfield.
Old 20 June 2000, 12:48 AM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Cheers John, sounds like a bit of a beast!

Interesting your choice of Cosworth power if a naturally aspirated Vauxhall engine would be almost as quick. I guess it's the challenge side of things that swayed you more than the pure engine characteristics?

I've always liked the 16V Vaux unit (used to have a GTE) as it's well engineered and safe for a fair bit more power (must be the Cosworth influence ), or is it a turbocharged Vauxhall engine in the Westfield?
Old 20 June 2000, 12:50 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

Talking

Normally I would say I want one after yesterday, but I didn't as I had seen the skill required to control a monster like that . I actually thought I was having a nose bleed due to the sheer speed and rush from that thing, I would most certainly kill myself in that! or get stuck trying to get out of it .

I need more John! after that I didn't even want to drive my car!

Harj...
Old 20 June 2000, 10:00 AM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

If the quicker Sti cars only beat a UK car by ½ a second on the ¼ mile, how can they do better than that from 0-60? What I was trying to say is that on the same day in similar conditions the difference is small. I agree that some Sti cars could do 4.8 0-60. What I mean is that on the day of Trax99 an Sti would not have run 4.3. In fact I don’t think any Sti got under 6.

Quick Reply: Come on then, if you think you're hard enough!