Sponsored by:

Why I hate my Scoob, by Ali-B.

Search this Thread

Old 08 May 2005, 11:18 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Why I hate my Scoob, by Ali-B.

There you go mate. Let's have a cathartic splurge.
Old 08 May 2005, 11:24 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

less than 200 miles from a tank, but thats all
Old 08 May 2005, 11:25 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

He's formulating a response. Smoke is rising from his keyboard.
Old 08 May 2005, 11:27 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

LMAO

I'll just copy amd paste what I wrote last night shall I?......

Originally Posted by ALi-"I hate Scoobies" -B
I hate the brakes, I hate the lag, I hate the steering, I hate the gutlessness off boost, I hate the gearing, I hate the fuel consumption, I hate the handling, I hate the rear LSD, I ahet the 4wd, I hate the weedy lights, I hate the price of aftermarket parts, I hate the price of genuine parts, I hate the depreciation, I hate the chav aspiriation for it, I hate the image, I hate the blinkered, disillusioned, ignorant Colin McRae/Richard Burns wannabees. I hate the the completely incorrect "twisties" addage, I hate the big end bearings, I hate the MAF, I hate 10w-60 oil, I hate PAO synthectic oil, I hate £100 cambelts, I hate the scum that is attracted to them, I hate the crime figures, I hate the steal to order, I hate the car jacking, I hate the steal to strip, I hate the idiots in **** cars that want to **** your rear bumper for a race upon seeing the "Impreza" badge. I hate the ***** that insist optimax minimum on a standard Uk cars, I hate the gold wheels, I hate sonic Blue, I hate top mount intercoolers, I hate Turbos.......
Old 08 May 2005, 11:31 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I like mine, I do.
Old 08 May 2005, 11:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

I can still think of things to add to that list too

For Sale: One Unloved Impreza
Old 08 May 2005, 11:45 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

....and nothing has gone wrong on mine...yet, excepting a cambelt idler.

I still think its pants
Old 08 May 2005, 11:46 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

hate to admit that he has a point.

most can be addressed by a 2.5 litre engine, a garage, a second every day car, a shot gun and a friend who can do servicing for cheap, and another friend who owns a tuning parts company.

Aside from that, I can see all your points are valid.
Old 08 May 2005, 11:47 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Hmmm.... I had a worn idler pulley at my last service.
Old 08 May 2005, 11:47 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You forgot about the **** paint thickness,synchros,tyre wear,knocklink,the bug to mod,spoilers,doors ,bonnet,seatbelts...........................
Old 08 May 2005, 11:48 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

What Would you Do with such a Scooby?
Old 08 May 2005, 11:49 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah--The gay sounding horn!!!!
Old 08 May 2005, 11:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

OMG what have I started?

What Would you Do with such a Scooby?
Dumping it in a lake seems like a good plan
Old 08 May 2005, 11:55 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Old 09 May 2005, 12:00 AM
Stiver3
Scooby Regular

Location: Braintree - 321BHP, 285Lbft-Perfect Standard' Ish STi Ver. III

Originally Posted by ALi-B
OMG what have I started?

Dumping it in a lake seems like a good plan
Forget the lake mate... dump it alongside my one on me driveway....

Save ya gettin wet! Lol

(I hate the fuel consumption... but that is all... Got to be a love hate relationship i reckon with a lot of owners)...
Old 09 May 2005, 12:02 AM
ticky
Scooby Senior

Smile

Don't forget the insurance
Old 09 May 2005, 12:03 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

on a serious note guys, i completed a round trip to lydenn race track today 201 mile at aound 80 average, with one 5 min blast on the M2.

Left home with full tank, arrived back home with a little orange light. have i got a problem here.

02 WRX decat and induction kit.

please say i have, and its cheap to fix
Old 09 May 2005, 02:17 AM
busanuta
Scooby Regular

i hate mine so much it starts everytime you turn the key and has never broken down and i have never had to have anything done for an mot and only had it 6 years dam i hate it so much ye right! i want a Fix Or Repair Daily
Old 09 May 2005, 07:06 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
on a serious note guys, i completed a round trip to lydenn race track today 201 mile at aound 80 average, with one 5 min blast on the M2.

Left home with full tank, arrived back home with a little orange light. have i got a problem here.

Too heavy right-foot, i used to get over 300 to a tank on the motorway in my scoob!
Old 09 May 2005, 07:39 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

I hate my car until I am forced for whatever reason to drive almost anything else. I almost always come back thinking what a stonking package my car is (even if it is "only" a Legacy, and 26mpg is a good tank ). Then I fall stupidly in love all over again

<- hopeless case
Old 09 May 2005, 10:33 AM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

LMAO

I'll just copy amd paste what I wrote last night shall I?......

So why did you all buy one then if they are so crap and have so many faults?????

Mine is 5 years old now and the only things I have needed to change on it are the tyres and the oil. !!! oh and a set of wiper blades.
Old 09 May 2005, 10:35 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I really think Ali is unusual in his dislike of his motor car. Hence the thread.
Old 09 May 2005, 11:14 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by easyrider
Oh yeah--The gay sounding horn!!!!
LOL It is a bit 'polite' isn't it!

NS04
Old 09 May 2005, 11:36 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar

Yep you got a problem, it is called your right foot.
It is very cheap to fix, go put another 40 quid of Optimax in it
Old 09 May 2005, 12:47 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Wurzel
So why did you all buy one then if they are so crap and have so many faults?????

Mine is 5 years old now and the only things I have needed to change on it are the tyres and the oil. !!! oh and a set of wiper blades.
<smoking keyboard>

I initially wanted a Legacy...this way wayyyy back when nobody knew about these farmers rocket cars. Simply beacuse the were worth absolutely squat all 2nd hand due to nobody knowing wtf they were. Unfortunately you try finding a pre 1995 2nd hand Turbo legacy...its as rare as rocking horse excrement....even 10 years ago they didn't really exist on the market.

Cue impreza and rally success. Thus millions of Imprezas on the road, thus loads for sale. Thought it maybe worth the extra cash to buy one, so got some cash together and bought one.

Took about a year to realise the car for what it really was, a boring family saloon car with a turbo strapped on it and nothing else - just like the Legacy (just the legacy didn't shout to the world its best at everything). And it was not really a particuar good drivers car at that. If anything a very poor drivers car. What made me hate it even more was reading mags with these journos voting it "drivers car of the year" they knew nothing, I suspect they couldn't drive either...obviously obsessed with techical figure 0-60 times an peak power ouput, not the powrband and the driving sensation.

So, we go about making it a real "drivers" car rather than the unresponsive, detached, mushy and dynamically flawed jap rocket box that it currently is.

First off...there was nothing on the market except dump valves, backboxes and decats (not cheap backboxes at that either). Then the remaps, came along with even more cost, then you realised it still wouldn't address the issue of poor responsiveness off boost, if anythhing making it more peaky and you get more power on boost whilst off its still teh same wheezy equivelent to a 1.1 fiesta (that's not fair...a fiesta 1.1 is far more responsive...hmm how about a the old 1988 1.6 diesel, they are hopeless unresponsive). And also the complete lack of feeling from the or brakes, steering (I did once try it with vacuum booster disconnected - felt great...but not too clever at emergency stopping - car park test experiment over ). Also disconnected the PAS, but it was still kinda rubbery, and my battery wouldn't last long without the belt fitted

Then the mods market blew up...and you can buy everything to fix your problem or need, from 2.5s, biggger blowers and FMICs (making off boost even WORSE : ), 6 speed conversions, Anti lift kits, drop links, coilovers, 6pots etc.

....but **** me they are expensive. I know uprated parts are pricey, but it seemed thanks to the Impreza's notoriety and the huge demand (proof the standard car is crap) to uprate and modify it, the manufacturers and sellers thought of a price then rather than doing the usual of doubling it, they went whole hog and quadrupled it!!

Don't get me wrong I am willing to pay the extra for modified parts that make an improvement. But when I can do the same modifications to lesser known sporting cars for half the price, you know something isn't right - or fair - especially when the Impreza needs so much work to be done to make it a true drivers car. With the cost - bear in mind what I paid to buy the car and needing another 5K to 6K minimum to sort properly on a car now worth a pittance, thanks to residuals. And also knowthat the money spent is basically down teh drain as it wouldn't make the car sell for anymore money. If anything its worth less, as the mods would be seen by buyers as a sign that the car is "well used" and thrashed within an inch (catch 22b?? ). There were better cars to spend my money on ...you may as well buy a decent drivers car in the first place. What is that word used with Corsas so often??...You can't polish a turd?

And not to forget what happends to your insuance after spending 6+ grand on mods. Then theres the normal running costs and servicing, which on its own is far more than you'd expect. Then the engine mods mean you need optimax, so now your now bent over the chairmans desk at Shell completely at their mercy.

Plus thats before anything unexepected goes wrong, from a big end to some cvnt deciding to key your doors or kids egg your windows. Or even the kids older brother deciding he deserves to be the driver of your pride and joy rather than you.

Makes me think..what is the point???

So why do I still own it?...its worth eff all, so I need to put a shed load of money to it to buy something decent. But I'm looking, probably not hard enough - pretty much given up on fast cars for road use - a track car is the way forward

<gets out fire extinguisher - keyboard on fire>

Last edited by ALi-B; 09 May 2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 09 May 2005, 12:52 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

I have to say, he does have a point!!.
Old 09 May 2005, 12:53 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

I initially wanted a Legacy...this way wayyyy back when nobody knew about these farmers rocket cars. Simply beacuse the were worth absolutely squat all 2nd hand due to nobody knowing wtf they were. Unfortunately you try finding a pre 1995 2nd hand Turbo legacy...its as rare as rocking horse excrement....even 10 years ago they didn't really exist on the market.

Cue impreza and rally success. Thus millions of Imprezas on the road, thus loads for sale. Thought it maybe worth the extra cash to buy one, so got some cash together and bought one.

Took about a year to realise the car for what it really was, a boring family saloon car with a turbo strapped on it and nothing else - just like the Legacy (just the legacy didn't shout to the world its best at everything). And it was not really a particuar good drivers car at that. If anything a very poor drivers car. What made me hate it even more was reading mags with these journos voting it "drivers car of the year" they knew nothing, I suspect they couldn't drive either...obviously obsessed with techical figure 0-60 times an peak power ouput, not the powrband and the driving sensation.

So, we go about making it a real "drivers" car rather than the unresponsive, detached, mushy and dynamically flawed jap rocket box that it currently is.

First off...there was nothing on the market except dump valves, backboxes and decats (not cheap backboxes at that either). Then the remaps, came along with even more cost, then you realised it still wouldn't address the issue of poor responsiveness off boost, if anythhing making it more peaky and you get more power on boost whilst off its still teh same wheezy equivelent to a 1.1 fiesta (that's not fair...a fiesta 1.1 is far more responsive...hmm how about a the old 1988 1.6 diesel, they are hopeless unresponsive). And also the complete lack of feeling from the or brakes, steering (I did once try it with vacuum booster disconnected - felt great...but not too clever at emergency stopping - car park test experiment over ). Also disconnected the PAS, but it was still kinda rubbery, and my battery wouldn't last long without the belt fitted

Then the mods market blew up...and you can buy everything to fix your problem or need, from 2.5s, biggger blowers and FMICs (making off boost even WORSE : ), 6 speed conversions, Anti lift kits, drop links, coilovers, 6pots etc.

....but **** me they are expensive. I know uprated parts are pricey, but it seemed thanks to the Impreza's notoriety and the huge demand (proof the standard car is crap) to uprate and modify it, the manufacturers and sellers thought of a price then rather than doing the usual of doubling it, they went whole hog and quadrupled it!!

Don't get me wrong I am willing to pay the extra for modified parts that make an improvement. But when I can do the same modifications to lesser known sporting cars for half the price, you know something isn't right - or fair - especially when the Impreza needs so much work to be done to make it a true drivers car. With the cost - bear in mind what I paid to buy the car and needing another 5K to 6K minimum to sort properly on a car now worth a pittance, thanks to residuals. And also knowthat the money spent is basically down teh drain as it wouldn't make the car sell for anymore money. If anything its worth less, as the mods would be seen by buyers as a sign that the car is "well used" and thrashed within an inch (catch 22b?? ). There were better cars to spend my money on ...you may as well buy a decent drivers car in the first place. What is that word used with Corsas so often??...You can't polish a turd?

And not to forget what happends to your insuance after spending 6+ grand on mods. Then theres the normal running costs and servicing, which on its own is far more than you'd expect. Then the engine mods mean you need optimax, so now your now bent over the chairmans desk at Shell completely at their mercy.

Plus thats before anything unexepected goes wrong, from a big end to some cvnt deciding to key your doors or kids egg your windows. Or even the kids older brother deciding he deserves to be the driver of your pride and joy rather than you.

So why do I still own it?...its worth eff all, so I need to put a shed load of money to it to buy something decent. But I'm looking, probably not hard enough - pretty much given up of fast cars for road use - a track car is the way forward

I C
Old 09 May 2005, 12:54 PM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

On a slightly more serious note do Subaru (Uk?) ever bother to ask owners what they think of their cars before developing newer models?
Old 09 May 2005, 01:05 PM
New_scooby_04

<smoking keyboard>

So why do I still own it?...its worth eff all, so I need to put a shed load of money to it to buy something decent. But I'm looking, probably not hard enough - pretty much given up on fast cars for road use - a track car is the way forward

Another satisified customer!
Old 09 May 2005, 01:12 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I like mine, I do.

have I already said that?

Quick Reply: Why I hate my Scoob, by Ali-B.