Sponsored by:

USED STi PPP or NEW WRX PPP

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2005, 08:04 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question USED STi PPP or NEW WRX PPP

No not a v's thread in the more traditional sense but a possible dilema. I currently drive a bugeye WRX sportswagon, but I'm minded to change - not entirely sure why as the sportswagon hasn't let me down - but that's not the point I want you guys to consider.

After test driving an STi Type UK with PPP fitted (it was an 02 bugeye model) I'm seriously considering changing. Budget wise we are talking about a 53 model with PPP and about 12kish miles. Now buying from a dealer the money for this is not too far from a brand new WRX 05 model which of course for this time come with PPP fitted as standard.

So the dilema is new WRX PPP or used STi PPP and, two side issues; would your mind change if the STi was a 53 model but without PPP? and how much difference is their between the bugeye STi and the Blobeye STi? In case your wondering I think the STi ticked my box because it seemed just more focused and more manic - I haven't driven an 05 model with PPP so I'm not sure if that would seem pretty focused too? I know I will be the one to consider the pros / cons, but, I think its worth hearing what the SIDC community has to say.

Key issues up for debate; excitment, running costs (including the dreaded insurance), re-sale (I know imagine even considering that in the current climate but lets throw it into the mix).

Kevin
Old 07 May 2005, 08:11 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk
No not a v's thread in the more traditional sense but a possible dilema. I currently drive a bugeye WRX sportswagon, but I'm minded to change - not entirely sure why as the sportswagon hasn't let me down - but that's not the point I want you guys to consider.

After test driving an STi Type UK with PPP fitted (it was an 02 bugeye model) I'm seriously considering changing. Budget wise we are talking about a 53 model with PPP and about 12kish miles. Now buying from a dealer the money for this is not too far from a brand new WRX 05 model which of course for this time come with PPP fitted as standard.

So the dilema is new WRX PPP or used STi PPP and, two side issues; would your mind change if the STi was a 53 model but without PPP? and how much difference is their between the bugeye STi and the Blobeye STi? In case your wondering I think the STi ticked my box because it seemed just more focused and more manic - I haven't driven an 05 model with PPP so I'm not sure if that would seem pretty focused too? I know I will be the one to consider the pros / cons, but, I think its worth hearing what the SIDC community has to say.

Key issues up for debate; excitment, running costs (including the dreaded insurance), re-sale (I know imagine even considering that in the current climate but lets throw it into the mix).

Kevin
Excitement = STI+PPP
Running costs = Bad for both (marginal mpg/servicing difference I'd have thought)
Insurance = If both PPP then you'll be shocked for both!
Resale = STI+PPP being 2nd hand won't loose as much on re-sale.

My judgement..........STI+PPP all the way...........like me
Old 07 May 2005, 10:19 PM
wheelwright
Scooby Regular

IMHO go for the STi budget permitting, a better all round package that's why its the STi.
Plus your lose sh!te loads on a new mota.(STi already taken the big hit)

53 plate PPP STi's private sale found for 18k you know it makes sense.......... STi (27k new let someone else take the hit)
Old 07 May 2005, 10:56 PM
C2forWRX
Scooby Regular

Id get the newest lowest milage standard STi you can for your cash and do ppp lata when you get bit more poke. you mite be happy with a standard one anyway
Old 07 May 2005, 11:13 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

I had a leaflet through the door the other day from Subaru on one of there summer offers.

The offer is for both WRX and WRX STI.

A New WRX with the PPP Kit for free or the New STI with the PPP kit also free. So you save £1600 I think for WRX and £2495 for the STI.

Somthing worth considering may be.
Old 08 May 2005, 08:20 AM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Ah the dreaded insurance pitfall, I'm going to call a few companies tomorrow to see the extent of the potential damage. It might force me down the non-PPP (Blobeye) STi route, trouble is I can't help thinking that any PPP equipped WRX will be breathing down my neck - doesn't that sound a tad naf, but hey its the young man in me, honest.

Kevin
Old 08 May 2005, 09:57 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by GrollySTI
Excitement = STI+PPP
Running costs = Bad for both (marginal mpg/servicing difference I'd have thought)
Insurance = If both PPP then you'll be shocked for both!
Resale = STI+PPP being 2nd hand won't loose as much on re-sale.

My judgement..........STI+PPP all the way...........like me
I will second that _ phenomenol performance and under warranty + cheap services & insurance ok if shop around

Trending Topics

Old 08 May 2005, 10:02 AM
ape250
Scooby Newbie

Default listen to the voices

You would not be disapointed with either car kevin, but having driven both cars at length, i would still have to say the sti would get my money(and i dont spend money on cars).

Listen to the voices and follow the little boy in you(much more focused, quicker, sharper,more power shall i go on)

P.S can you hurry up a bit as my morgage payment is due in a weeks time.

pps see you tuesday
Old 08 May 2005, 10:04 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk

Kevin
Blobeye STi leagues ahead of Bug STi - Bug STi feels like Blob WRX PPP in performance - The 03 STi is a rocket ship (on Optimax)
Old 08 May 2005, 10:09 AM
virgin
Scooby Regular

STI , ps i own a wrx ppp 04 ,and i never stop wishing i bought the sti

steering wheel
breaks
wheels
spoiler
gear change light
beepy noise
sti badge
different head
more power
wider tyres
better handling
better seats
water spray injection
better suspension
333 or 300 easly acheivable, bhp future proof in other words
bling chrome surround round the gearstick
6 speed gear box that doesnt break
bigger air scoop

have i missed something ?

i do wish i got the sti ): even if the wrx ppp is quicker to 60 than a std sti
Old 08 May 2005, 10:17 AM
GRIFF007
Scooby Regular

kEVIN

yOU HAVE MAIL
Old 08 May 2005, 10:21 AM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Daniel - Stop it, I might even pop down today!!! Insurance will be a strong influencer - i.e. the silver machine might be an option - and of course the fantastic deal that you give me will be the clincher - we may have to close that differential by a fair bit - oh and I need to work out if I can afford it!

Kevin

David - Got your mail, reply with you.

All - Standard Blobeye STi, comments / thoughts??
Old 08 May 2005, 10:23 AM
donutman
Scooby Regular

why not buy a blobeye jdm sti more power than a uk with ppp, insurance wise it is not a modified car so insurance should be cheaper. Plus you get more bits as standard

twin scroll turbo
stronger engine
Rear wash wipe
folding mirrors
rear pimp tints
defi style dash
hid lights

btw
my insurance on my 04 jdm sti with mods £625

Last edited by donutman; 08 May 2005 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08 May 2005, 10:27 AM
ape250
Scooby Newbie

Default I think you are over 25

If you can get a sensible qoute i would still recomend the ppp car, but taht said the standard sti is still a (better)more focused machine.

ps i am not in today, if you do pop down the guy is called ryan, not to clued up on the finer points, but if you look past that he is ok.

Hard work if you want a deal as he is the bosses nephew !!
Old 08 May 2005, 10:28 AM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Donutman,

I hear what your saying but I've not looked at that angle. I had a Pulsar GTiR and the memories of trying to get insurance for an import still ring in my ears after 4 years (sorry Sir not interested). Also if I'm honest I'm pretty risk averse so purchasing a UK car from a Subaru dealer gives me piece of mind - even if it does come at a cost. But anyway thanks for making me think about that angle.

Kevin
Old 08 May 2005, 10:31 AM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ape250
If you can get a sensible qoute i would still recomend the ppp car, but taht said the standard sti is still a (better)more focused machine.

ps i am not in today, if you do pop down the guy is called ryan, not to clued up on the finer points, but if you look past that he is ok.

Hard work if you want a deal as he is the bosses nephew !!
Think I'll wait till your in then! Well certainly when it comes to deal making - saying that however with it being a bright Sunday all the STi's might go today!

Kevin

Last edited by The Incredible Hulk; 08 May 2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08 May 2005, 10:32 AM
donutman
Scooby Regular

insurance is easier to get for imports now even norwich union do competive rates for jdm cars

Last edited by donutman; 08 May 2005 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08 May 2005, 05:48 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Been reading the insurance quotes that others have got,,...Oh LORDY. I never knew it was quite so scary. Hopefully the others have terrible driving records and live in dodgy postcodes - mind you my Bristol postcode is a bit of a curse!!

Kevin