Sponsored by:

Civic type R quicker than i thought

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2005, 09:46 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civic type R quicker than i thought

Just had a blast against a type r. I came from a car length and a half behind and only managed to get about 2 car lengths in front. Started at about 10 mph in first and flat out through the gears up to redline in 4th. Didnt think they were so quick. Im curently running just over 300bhp. Shocked by how quick the type r actually is. Not sure if it had engine work done, exhaust popped quite a bit. Anyone know any type r stats etc.
Thanks Mark
Old 06 May 2005, 09:53 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Only came across 1 that has ever wanted to play, my MY03 JDM STi Spec C looks like a wrx, thing he thought so too made him look very small and slow over 400m, rolling 30mph both cars, he was a good 100m behind, he tried again, same thing, made him look small

Tony
Old 06 May 2005, 10:04 PM
fastfrank
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Only came across 1 that has ever wanted to play, my MY03 JDM STi Spec C looks like a wrx, thing he thought so too made him look very small and slow over 400m, rolling 30mph both cars, he was a good 100m behind, he tried again, same thing, made him look small

Tony
lol,

yo tony, how is the JDM these days, anymore mods? Pushing anymore poneys out of it yet?
Old 06 May 2005, 10:12 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Tony
Could it be my cars not running correct and thats why he kept up what do you think.
Its a 98 uk prodrive wr sport full upgrade think car and upgrade was 30 k not sure. Think the power was up at about 240 then.
Since then i have de -catted it, induction kit, performance plugs & leads,FMIC,greedy e-manage with boost controller and up pipe. Boost is set at 1.15 bar not had it set up properly on rolling road was waiting till i had my other stuff first. (andy f turbo, fuel pump, fuel cut def, bigger injectors and reg.

Was shocked how he kept up so well in a straight line(im not that good on twistes yet). I thought even if my car was only had the prodrive wr sport upgrade i would have pulled away more.

Not had a performance car long (only got this one 2 years ago 1st car that is quick nevermind having uprated a car bofore) anyone any ideas
Old 06 May 2005, 10:15 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Sorry for being dumb a jdm sti spec c whats the stats and upgrades on that. That many diffrent versions hard to keep tabs on them all.

Tony
Old 06 May 2005, 10:20 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

280ps 290lbs of torque, well thats the book figure
More like 315bhp at the moment and weighs in at 1350kg.
Frank, nothing else done to her at the moment, the panel filter is about as far as i want to go for the time being

Tony
Old 06 May 2005, 10:20 PM
richie rich
Scooby Regular

Maybe 0ne needs driving lessons.
Originally Posted by 98prodrivewrs
Could it be my cars not running correct and thats why he kept up what do you think.
Its a 98 uk prodrive wr sport full upgrade think car and upgrade was 30 k not sure. Think the power was up at about 240 then.
Since then i have de -catted it, induction kit, performance plugs & leads,FMIC,greedy e-manage with boost controller and up pipe. Boost is set at 1.15 bar not had it set up properly on rolling road was waiting till i had my other stuff first. (andy f turbo, fuel pump, fuel cut def, bigger injectors and reg.

Was shocked how he kept up so well in a straight line(im not that good on twistes yet). I thought even if my car was only had the prodrive wr sport upgrade i would have pulled away more.

Not had a performance car long (only got this one 2 years ago 1st car that is quick nevermind having uprated a car bofore) anyone any ideas

Trending Topics

Old 06 May 2005, 10:33 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richie rich
Maybe 0ne needs driving lessons.
Was on a straight, really quick gear changes, was going flat out. Do you think it could be due to the e- manage being fully mapped yet. It only has a basic map for timebeing. Or am i not changing gears at correct time(was changing just before redline). Dont think i missed any gear changes etc. But pretty new to this

Only other comparison i have is another uk turbo 99 same straight and my car only had the prodrive mods at the time. Knew the other driver and his impreza was standard. Over the same distance etc as the type r i got about 2 car lengths in front started about 1 and a half behind.
Old 06 May 2005, 10:48 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

i never used to have any problems against CTRs in my old MY98 WRX! could pull away by along long way!!!

theres suppossed to be a turbo'd one around my way but i never met that one.......probably a good thing!
Old 06 May 2005, 11:05 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Could my car not be running properly then?
Any ideas on possible causes, or do u think its the piggy back ecu only running a basic map

Originally Posted by peachy wrx
i never used to have any problems against CTRs in my old MY98 WRX! could pull away by along long way!!!

theres suppossed to be a turbo'd one around my way but i never met that one.......probably a good thing!
Old 06 May 2005, 11:05 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Your car is fine and so is his. You nailed him quite easily if you came from near 2 car lengths behind to 2 in front - that is quite a difference. You need a much greater advantage to really leave a car for dead.
Old 06 May 2005, 11:11 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Your car is fine and so is his. You nailed him quite easily if you came from near 2 car lengths behind to 2 in front - that is quite a difference. You need a much greater advantage to really leave a car for dead.
Thanks was not really sure as not came up against many quick cars yet, or had much experience with modifying performance etc yet. Just thought a civic type R would not have kept as close.
Old 06 May 2005, 11:19 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 98prodrivewrs
Thanks was not really sure as not came up against many quick cars yet, or had much experience with modifying performance etc yet. Just thought a civic type R would not have kept as close.
remember alot of power is lossed through the 4 wheel drive! so if say a civic was running 250 bhp and you 300,you'd pull away to start with but once moveing he could well catch you!
Old 06 May 2005, 11:32 PM
98prodrivewrs
Scooby Regular

Caught up and passed quite easy, though only got about half a car length in front at that point was not untill about 120 that car started pulling away a bit. Did feel though if it was a long enough strip that after 120 would have pulled away a bit more. He only gained a bit just after i made gear changes then i gained a bit. Thanks for your replies just thought i would have got in front a bit more.

Originally Posted by peachy wrx
remember alot of power is lossed through the 4 wheel drive! so if say a civic was running 250 bhp and you 300,you'd pull away to start with but once moveing he could well catch you!
Old 06 May 2005, 11:46 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Sounds about right to me... they have a fair bit of poke.

One thing tho, if you are still waiting for an Andy F turbo then i take it you still have the orginal Td04. If so there is no way you have just over 300bhp. I'd put you more like 275-280bhp due to the turbo and injectors you have (regardless of the FMIC...).

Tony.
Old 06 May 2005, 11:55 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

yeh - I've got a CTR that plays around by me All in good fun, but has never got past (UK MY99 with scoobysport de-cat)
Although a pug 1.9 gti (205) had a play this morning. From standing, it was "bye bye", but at normal travelling speeds, the difference wasn't as noticable

I want one now

Dan
Old 06 May 2005, 11:55 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

I`ve just sold a Civic Type R and bought a WRX (new).

Beware the Civic as they are bloody quick, especially through the twisties, but they are not as quick, or composed, as the Scooby.

A well-driven, or tuned one, will cause you some problems, and they are an excellent car, TBH. I`m not surprised he gave you a hard time.
Old 07 May 2005, 12:53 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

i as well have just got rid of a ctr, they are 200 bhp standard, after exhaust remap they are the fastest front wheel drive in the country i believe, but im sure someone will tell me otherwise.

close ratio 6 speed box helps too...
different kind of car altogether but the scooby wins for me.
Old 07 May 2005, 10:41 AM
Stainy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
i as well have just got rid of a ctr, they are 200 bhp standard, after exhaust remap they are the fastest front wheel drive in the country i believe, but im sure someone will tell me otherwise.
Indeed. There may be others but a Leon Cupra R puts out 225 through the front wheels and about 270 after a re-map
Old 07 May 2005, 10:55 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
This is spot on..! Too many people think they're going to romp 1/2mile away when they come up aginst another car, when in reallity what saxo boy said is true.

Also, I find most new scooby drivers are complacent, thinking they're going to beat everything on the road (swayed by the 0-60 times no doubt..!). With this belief they let the other car have the advantage. These days you can't let many car's have a run at you and expect to romp away..! (TDi's are a good example of this..!).

One other thing is, maybe you're leaving your gearchanges a bit too late..? If you're changing at redline you'll actually be 500rpm higher by the time you,ve actually changed gear. Your peak power will more than likely be well before redline, which is where you should be changing.

Cheers,

Jason.

PS I've (as mentioned many time's previously) had several runs with CTR's and in my std 05 WRX there is only a small difference once moving, with my car just pulling them in (if behind) or just pulling away. However, I have to really go for it, getting every gearchange spot on. No doubt the CTR driver is also using all of their 8000rpm..!
Old 07 May 2005, 11:06 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

havent had a go at one yet all the type r's round my way seem to be driven by grannies with purple hair