Newbie Question on STi MY05?

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2005, 07:54 AM
R3GRY
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie Question on STi MY05?

Hi all 1st post on here so go easy

I've currently got a 52 plate Anniversary Golf which I will be shortly selling, and am seriously looking at buying a MY05 STI (uk).
I had one out form a stealer on a days test drive an was very pleased with it.
Just want some proffesional advice on your thoughts on which route to go down for the money.

The offers are..
Showroomed Silver STI with Prodrive 7spoke alloys and alloy gearknob(trinket)@ £26,995 (dealer reckons he 'could' knock a grand off that) and Their latest deal is free PPP upgrade after 1k service (replaces the 3year free service)

Alternatively a MY 05 Silver STI but without Prodrive 7spoke alloys and alloy gearknoba+ its a demo with 2,200 miles and the PPP fitted for £24,000(without me haggling yet)

Abviously Ive no idea how the demo's been broken in but I could save a few K, and fit the alloys later.

Is the PPP really noticable as i've not driven one with it fitted.

Any word of wisdom appreciated.
Old 06 May 2005, 08:07 AM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't go with the demo - just think how you drove it, and I doubt the dealer bothers much about warming it up properly (essential) before hammering it.

You should also consider a JDM car - much better than UK and lots available at www.litimports.co.uk
Old 06 May 2005, 08:16 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the forum

Check with your insurance company first, but PPP is regarded by many (including myself) as essential equipment. Although recent models are a bit better than when the Euro STI first came out, they're still somewhat strangled by noise and emissions regs low down the rev range, which means they're rather sluggish until the turbo cuts in at 3500-4000 revs.

With PPP the car is infinitely more tractable around town, which is a greater benefit than the extra 40bhp or so at the top end.

As always, there are other companies offering similar or greater performance benefits for less, but you lose your warranty. PPP retains full warranty and dealer support.

The demonstrator is likely to have had quite a hard life, and some people are shy of them for that reason. That said, I'm not aware of any established link between being a demo car and premature engine failure.

£26k for a brand new car with PPP and Prodrive wheels is a good deal - but I'd probably haggle and go for the demo. The wheels aren't worth £2k (especially if you wouldn't otherwise buy them).

Another thought: can you get the brand new car without the wheels and save a bit more?
Old 06 May 2005, 08:17 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

ps. XRS is right, the JDM car is better again. In standard form it'll match or even better a UK car with PPP - but if you fit a similar package then it absolutely flies
Old 06 May 2005, 09:45 AM
R3GRY
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for the feed back, now I'm really confussed. Been looking on the JDM site.

If I go this route where to i Stand on Warranty, service etc.
+
which model/spec to I go for as similar like for like comaprason of Sti +PPP?

Also, How come the JDM ones coem with HID?

Sorry bout all the Q's
Old 06 May 2005, 10:08 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

It depends where you go.

Your warranty will be with the supplying importer, not Subaru. Some main dealers will service and maintain imports, others won't, so it's worth talking to your local dealer's service manager to figure out where they stand. Fairly recently, some main dealers have started supplying parts for imports too - though there's never really been any problem getting spares through independent suppliers.

Your real choice from the Japanese range is between the STI and the Spec C. The STI comes in four different versions, which are all very similar but have some different options fitted - my own car is a 'ZL', which means it has DCCD-A, but has the standard 17" wheels (same as UK) and came with no stereo. The other model to consider is the 'IL', which adds smart (but expensive) BBS wheels. The other two models are a basic one without DCCD-A, and one with a premium stereo system which would cover Japanese radio frequencies and wouldn't be much use over here.

The Spec C is a lightweight, cut-down version which loses some toys but gains a useful weight advantage. It has a roller bearing turbo which spools up a little quicker, and has an oil cooler and uprated fuel pump which are handy if you want to do a lot of track days. There are other differences too but I'm sure a Spec C owner will be along shortly to fill you in.

The nearest equivalent model to a UK + PPP would be the STI ZL, same as mine. It has similar power as standard, but with the scope to upgrade (to about 320bhp) with a remap and exhaust.

In Europe, HID lights are only allowed on new cars if they are equipped with headlight washers - some bizarre EU directive. The STI doesn't have the washers, so the UK model can't have HIDs.