Sponsored by:

Who's got a Snooper S3?

Search this Thread

Old 05 May 2005, 07:46 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's got a Snooper S3?

Question for anyone who's got a Snooper S3. Does it or does it not detect mobile cameras / lasers?? I've just purchased it and am setting it up and the instructions start to extol the virtues of buying the S100-RLD add-on for an extra £100+ to detect lasers.

Does the S3 not do that itself at all? To quote snooper's site:

"Laser Detection as Standard
The Snooper S3 comes complete with a built-in 360 degree laser detector. This laser detector has been designed to detect all types of mobile laser speed monitoring systems often used in danger spots where 'Fixed' systems cannot be easily utilised. As a result Snooper S3will alert you to nearly every speed monitoring system and accident hotspot whether Fixed or Mobile"

Have I been taken for a ride?!
Old 05 May 2005, 08:24 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

OK, having just read through the website it detects LASERS but not RADARS - can someone tell me which is which? Are Lasers the guy at the side of the road with a hair dryer and Radars the mobile vans?
Old 05 May 2005, 08:58 PM
kayeabl
Scooby Regular

Default Snooper S3

Hi mate

I have the S3 and the optional laser/radar detector. Im not sure entirely which is which, but all i can say is with the add on plugged in, all it does is constantly beep at anything and drives me crazy so i've given up with it. However a while back i got a radar alert just with the main unit and it was a mobile van, so it does work on its own.

I've also noticed it doesn't pick up a couple of the cameras in my area, which i hope means they are not turned on, or otherwise its a bit worrying.

So, really i don't think extra cash for the radar unit is worth it!
Old 05 May 2005, 09:20 PM
stuartjw
Scooby Regular

The S3 detects laser only unless you add the radar module. The laser guns are the ones that the coppers stand at the side of the road with - hairdriers. Also the motorway bridge vans use laser technology. Radar detectors are a waste of money. Traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, supermarket doors and tonnes of other stuff use radar frequencies so they will beep constantly.

Radar detectors annoy you and you will just ignore it!!!

Be wary of mobile vans with tripods - These are mini gatsos and also use radar - Will not set your snooper off.

Also be wary of laser guns - If a police officer points it at you and presses the button you will get a bleep at the same time that he gets your speed - i.e. too late!!!! They only work if a car has been lasered in front of you and there has been some laser diffraction causing the alert.

Also I have found that mobile gatso's (i.e. the ones on trailers) sometimes only show up as a high risk zone so if you are in an unfamiliar area always switch it on!!!!

Last edited by stuartjw; 05 May 2005 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05 May 2005, 09:29 PM
ScoobyTom
Scooby Regular

I bought the S3 for my wife a couple of weeks ago (£99 from Currys web site) and it definitely detects lasers without the additional unit. It's a really nice unit, dead easy to use and the best update software I've seen. Makes me wonder why I bought a Road Angel 2 for £400...
Old 06 May 2005, 08:42 AM
scg
Scooby Regular

Top stuff guys cheers! Tried to get it up and running but couldn't hit the satellites last night. Tried it in my 206 last night (which will be replaced with an Sti tomorrow - YES!) and also in my house. However, given the instructions say Peugeots may not work and my house is double glazed that may have been the issue!! Will give it another go when le Scoobs arrives.
Old 06 May 2005, 10:12 AM
barrybudden
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scg
can someone tell me which is which? Are Lasers the guy at the side of the road with a hair dryer and Radars the mobile vans?
The radars are the old hair dryers. The reason you are getting constant alarms is that other things use this technology. Supermarkets use them to open doors, temporary road works have them on the top of the traffic lights.