Sponsored by:

FUEL PRICE KICK OFF - UK

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2000, 10:36 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

It would seem that some truckers & Farmers For Action are trying to copy the French

GOOD ON YOU - BEST OF LUCK
Old 07 September 2000, 10:47 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Petrol has already gone up.
Old 07 September 2000, 11:22 PM
chrisnobbs
Scooby Regular

Question

Time for "Dump the pump" again? Did it make any difference last time? Who do you blame, government, OPEC or us for burning the evil juice in the first place???
Old 07 September 2000, 11:32 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Angry

I was amazed to see on the news that French Ambulance drivers had taken to joining in some of the blockades!!!

One thing that's been bugging me the past few weeks is not just the general price of our fuel, but why SUL is generally *more* expensive than LRP? I thought the taxes were supposed to relate to octane *and* effects on environment? Surely SUL is more green than LRP?

Personally, I believe that the best we could hope for would be to loose 5p per litre on our fuel. Any more, and we would just be fleeced for taxes on everything else.

Dave
Old 08 September 2000, 07:00 AM
WALKER
Scooby Regular

Angry

DUMP THE PUMP......what a load of bloody rubbish.....it didn`t work and it won`t work!

We need our fuel everyday so by dumping the pump, is not the way to go about reducing the tax on our fuel.

We should take the same approach as the French and do something positive like a bit of barracading or blocking a few motorways for a week or 2!

But lets face it, the typical Brit hasn`t got the nerve to carry this out, so what do we do, we sit back and let the goverment walk all over us, and we take it!

Why are we one of, if not the most expensive countrys in the world for fuel?

I buy large amounts of Gas Oil for work, the cost has gone up from 11 p per litre, this time last year to 22.5 pence per litre today. This fuel(red diesel)is crippling the building trade who use it in plant, but also the homeowner that uses it for heating.

OK i could go on about this all day, but whats the point, unless we all get together and really do something positive we will all be paying over a pound a litre very shortly!
Old 08 September 2000, 07:33 AM
Kev
Scooby Regular

Angry

I've just about had it with mr Blair and his so called "new Labour" ...

A few things of late have REALLY got my goat..

Fuel Tax
NHS
The ******* Dome

I agree with all the things the French have done, OK it aint nice to be stuck in a protest on your way home from your holidays and before it gets said , yes I would probably of been very "frustrated" if I'd of been there. But lets step back a bit here and see what they achieved, the Mail said they "striked" for approx 27 hours and got tax on Derv for their fishing boats dropped, they now have blocked oil depot's and brought the country almost to it's knees with flights diverting and p/stations closed.
This should be a warning to mr Blair, I hope we all "have what it takes" to stick our heels in here as a few farmers have done this morning and follow the French .... I've not filled-up with fuel on a Monday now for ages ... made diddly squat difference to the situation but it makes me feel better ...

With winter approaching and as Paul has said above people start using heating oils they will start to feel the pinch as price continues to climb ..... we could be entering into a "winter of discontent" .... wasn't that what got the Labour party out last time ??

K
Old 08 September 2000, 08:06 AM
AWD
Scooby Regular

Cool

'Dump the pump' was pretty non-effective but then there were so many people who just ignored it despite all the media coverage before it.

The idea (as I saw it) was just to say that we were not happy and to make a point by boycotting the stations on that day.

They interviewd people who turned up on that day and some said "oops, I forgot, I shouldn't be here should I", "we have to get petrol some time don't we", etc. i.e. most people they talked to either forgot or didn't realise that it was about making a point not in saying no to petrol totally.
Old 08 September 2000, 08:51 AM
Andy-D
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

You've got to applaud what the farmers are doing and admire them for having the 'get up and go' to actually do something about the rip off fuel prices we are all paying here in the UK. It has gone on for far too long and the price increases seem to be even more frequent now than ever. We all know that every time we fill our cars up with petrol we have just effectively bought a new carpet for a single parent somewhere or paid for part of a new wall at a new illegal immigrant 'hostel' and such like.

I've ordered a set of tractor wheels and tyres for the motor and will be joining the farmers to join in the protest, enough is fuc***g enough!
Old 08 September 2000, 10:11 AM
KF
Scooby Regular

Interesting, isn't it:

The French are blocking the ports and cutting the supply of fuel. Motorists can't fill their cars, government capitulates (as their wont), and prices drop.

In the UK we are too worried about ostracizing the majority of the population to take direct action about this. As "Dump the Pump" showed, the population at large are either too lazy or not bothered enough to do anything proactive themselves.

Perhaps it is time that we consider upsetting our "fellow" motorist?
KF.
Old 08 September 2000, 10:16 AM
BHORT
Scooby Regular

Write to your MP stating that you will not vote for a party that maintains high fuel taxation. Millions of letters would be more effective than dumping the pump. MP's tend to have big egos and will do anything to hold onto power, it is necessary to threaten their individual position to actually acheive anything.

Brendan
Old 08 September 2000, 10:52 AM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

It happened

Well Done

Read about it on