Sponsored by:

0-60 of a 03 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 18 April 2005, 06:37 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 0-60 of a 03 WRX

What is the time for this car without any mods?

As i have just seen on PH that the new astra with its 2 litre turbocharged engine can hit 60 in 6.3 seconds and my dad says that his scooby could not beat that??

I thought that the figures for this for the impreza was something like 5.8seconds.

Does anybody know or have tried it them selves.

Darren
Old 18 April 2005, 06:52 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Cool

IIRC official figures for 03's were 5.6s, dropping to 4.8s with PPP. You'd only ever acheive that with a combination of good ability and deep pockets to replace the clutch afterwards though I wish the fascination with 0-60 would die, 30-70 in 3rd and through the gears is a much more relevant measure in relation to everyday driving.

CLICKY

Last edited by corradoboy; 18 April 2005 at 06:54 PM.
Old 18 April 2005, 07:03 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate. Thanks for the quick reply.
So basically, don't try to atempt the 5.6 unlease you intend to replace the cluch every time. What the point in that quick car that can do a quick time if you can't do it on a regular basis. :condused:

Darren

Originally Posted by corradoboy
IIRC official figures for 03's were 5.6s, dropping to 4.8s with PPP. You'd only ever acheive that with a combination of good ability and deep pockets to replace the clutch afterwards though I wish the fascination with 0-60 would die, 30-70 in 3rd and through the gears is a much more relevant measure in relation to everyday driving.

CLICKY
Old 18 April 2005, 07:40 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I wish the fascination with 0-60 would die "
why ?? it's still a good bench mark
Old 18 April 2005, 07:44 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

It's the same for all cars mate. If you were to try a 4.8s start every time you set off the strain on the drivetrain, especially the clutch, would soon take its toll although not every time you did it. The usual method of achieving maximum acceleration is to hold around 4.5-5k revs and drop the clutch, which isn't very mechanically sympathetic. If you ride the clutch at all whilst attempting this you will reduce the life of the clutch very quickly. The Astra may well be able to do a 6.3, but most drivers will probably end up spinning the wheels and only managing a low 8, something we don't have to worry about with 4WD. The Astra, and other similar, will create less strain on its drivetrain components due to being both lighter and 2WD, but that will also make it more difficult to lay down the power quickly and efficiently. In short, the Scoob will still beat it
Old 18 April 2005, 08:03 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thanks corradoboy. i'm clad you cleared that up for me

Darren
Old 18 April 2005, 08:06 PM
New_scooby_04

Cool

Originally Posted by SC008Y_MAD
Cheers mate. Thanks for the quick reply.
So basically, don't try to atempt the 5.6 unlease you intend to replace the cluch every time. What the point in that quick car that can do a quick time if you can't do it on a regular basis. :condused:

Darren
It's not just Scoobies mate. To extract the manufacturers stated 0-60 times from any car requires you to be brutal e.g. not lifting off the accelerator when changing gear etc... Fine if you're a journalist and the car isn't yours, but do that to your own car? I don't think so. Add about a second to the claimed 0-60 for a real world time.

The Scooby will beat the Astra to 60 given a skilled driver. High powered FWD cars simply don't have the traction off the line that 4wd has. After that expect the Astra to edge ahead...unles the scooby has PPP in which case behind is where it will stay!

0-30 is Scobies and Evos are untouchable. 30-70 gives the best idea of a cars real performance. A fast car should be able to do that increment in roughly the same ime it takes it to get to 60.

In an EVO 0-100-0 test even a F1 car couldn't catch the STi PPP and EVO 7 up to about 28mph, it simply didn't have the traction off the line. Of course, once rolling it spanked the road cars into next week!!

NS04

Trending Topics

Old 18 April 2005, 09:25 PM
uno70s
Scooby Newbie

I'd take care against those 2ltr astras, my mate has the mk4 gsi and once rolling it is very quick. But getting it rolling in the wet involves lots of wheel spinning antics.
Old 19 April 2005, 11:32 AM
New_scooby_04

Talking

Originally Posted by uno70s
I'd take care against those 2ltr astras, my mate has the mk4 gsi and once rolling it is very quick. But getting it rolling in the wet involves lots of wheel spinning antics.
Yes, the Astra's are very punchy, but the problem is that once you've got the power hooked up in first without the wheelspin the subaru will already on on-boost in second and then it's bye, bye!

NS04
Old 19 April 2005, 12:46 PM
uno70s
Scooby Newbie

We are currently waiting for his gsi to be repaired (turbo troubles after 12000 miles). Then we intend to find out how the cars compare.

Reckon the new VXR should be interesting though with 240bhp and a weight of little more the 1300kg (assuming it weighs the same as other 3-door mk5s)
Old 19 April 2005, 12:46 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

Thats kind of what I thought. Once the scooby is up on boost, its bye bye to fellow competitors.
Though the real performance of a car like this is 30-70mph in 3rd, apart from a evo or even a skyline, not really much can touch the these cars in that time/speed bracket in 3rd.

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Yes, the Astra's are very punchy, but the problem is that once you've got the power hooked up in first without the wheelspin the subaru will already on on-boost in second and then it's bye, bye!

NS04

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 19 April 2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 19 April 2005, 03:36 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by uno70s
We are currently waiting for his gsi to be repaired (turbo troubles after 12000 miles). Then we intend to find out how the cars compare.

Reckon the new VXR should be interesting though with 240bhp and a weight of little more the 1300kg (assuming it weighs the same as other 3-door mk5s)
Yeah, I'm looking foward to having a go of the new 240bhp Astra, I'm quite a fan of hot Astras myself ;-) Problem is, it's still going to be hampered by FWD, so the impressive power output is largely redundant when it comes to 0-60. if they can kee the weight down, it'll certainly produce a good 30-70 etc... though.

Scoobymad: Exactly, the thing that makes turbo cars so much fun without disregarding any sense of mechanical sympathy is the 30-70 dash. I did it in 3rd up a slight hill on a motorway sliproad the other day and it reminded me what a quick car the classic turbo really is. You kind of get used to performance after a while, but every now and then, it reminds you that it's a bit special

NS04
Old 19 April 2005, 04:17 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
"I wish the fascination with 0-60 would die "
why ?? it's still a good bench mark

Is it bollards ....... its a crap benchmark. As has been said its the cars ability to pull in gear which is important not how easy it is to get off the line. Unless your a traffic light racer of course, which is sad.

Gary
Old 19 April 2005, 05:20 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Why is it sad doing the traffic light GP? As we all know, speed kills so obviously (!) acceleration is safe...

Just 'cos there are traffic lights doesn't necessarily mean you're in front of a road full of kids and grannies etc. waiting to be mown down.

Old 19 April 2005, 05:45 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Is it bollards ....... its a crap benchmark. As has been said its the cars ability to pull in gear which is important not how easy it is to get off the line. Unless your a traffic light racer of course, which is sad.

Gary
if it's bcrap why has it been used for so long ?? you'll be telling me that they should use 1/4 mile times next !!
Old 19 April 2005, 06:22 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

30-70 in 2nd/3rd/through 2nd & 3rd would give you an idea how quick the car was to drive. It's why many diesels snap at the heals of Scoobs now. They don't get off the line too well, but once moving the bags of torque lunge the car forward very well. I often drive for a long time without coming to a standstill when on country roads, but do spend a lot of time slowing for tight bends and then accelerating out of them. Torque is more relevant in these conditions, and is why WRC cars often have 3 times more torque than a road car, but the same BHP. They only set off on a stage once, so quick acceleration from standstill isn't too important to them, but acceleration out of bends throughout the stage is.
Old 19 April 2005, 06:32 PM
SC008Y_MAD
Scooby Regular

exactly. Torque is the winner in all performance tests.

According to the WRX perfromance package the WRX in standard form with do 30-70 (through gears) in 5.7 and with the PPP 5.1 seconds.
So what the 30-70 time in third?

Originally Posted by corradoboy
30-70 in 2nd/3rd/through 2nd & 3rd would give you an idea how quick the car was to drive. It's why many diesels snap at the heals of Scoobs now. They don't get off the line too well, but once moving the bags of torque lunge the car forward very well. I often drive for a long time without coming to a standstill when on country roads, but do spend a lot of time slowing for tight bends and then accelerating out of them. Torque is more relevant in these conditions, and is why WRC cars often have 3 times more torque than a road car, but the same BHP. They only set off on a stage once, so quick acceleration from standstill isn't too important to them, but acceleration out of bends throughout the stage is.

Last edited by SC008Y_MAD; 19 April 2005 at 06:35 PM.
Old 19 April 2005, 06:45 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

i'm not disagreeing with the torque thing all i'm saying , and what the original post was about , is 0-60 gives people a good idea of what a car can do !! i know it has for me , for the last 20 years ! it's a good benchmark
Old 19 April 2005, 07:06 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

when checking out performance stats for cars, im always drawn to the 50-70 in 3rd time as this is a common overtaking speed. anything below 5 secs is handy- heres some comparisons;
citreon saxo vts- 5.0 secs
seat ibiza tdi 130-4.8secs
seat leon cupra r 225-3.6secs
vw golf r32-3.6secs
subaru impreza uk98 wagon-3.4secs
bmw m3csl-2.8secs
subaru impreza sti spec c-2.2secs

the differences seem small but even a couple of tenths would be noticeable on the road -particularly if you were trying to nip past that artic sharpish!
Old 19 April 2005, 08:32 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobydooooo
if it's bcrap why has it been used for so long ?? you'll be telling me that they should use 1/4 mile times next !!
Its also the reason car manufacturers gear their cars the way they do, so they will get to 60 in second gear not having to make the extra gear change to 3rd. Dont matter to them what happens after 60 its just that one thing and that alone.
Total crap........You here it all the time on here, my wrx ppp will get to 60 in 4.7seconds so its quicker than an STi which takes 5.2secs.

If your into 0-60 trials or traffic light racing then its everything of course?
Old 19 April 2005, 09:16 PM
mattvortex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Its also the reason car manufacturers gear their cars the way they do, so they will get to 60 in second gear not having to make the extra gear change to 3rd. Dont matter to them what happens after 60 its just that one thing and that alone.
Total crap........You here it all the time on here, my wrx ppp will get to 60 in 4.7seconds so its quicker than an STi which takes 5.2secs.

If your into 0-60 trials or traffic light racing then its everything of course?
totally agree with the above. i know the fastest in-gear acceleration times are more important to me-after all, when your overtaking your quite often on the other side of the road! cant think of a situation when ive needed to use flat out 0-60 for safety reasons (unlike flat-out in-gear acceleration when overtaking!)
Old 19 April 2005, 09:33 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Flat out acceleration from 0-40 or 0-60 is very handy when pulling out of junctions - in that sort of situation - particularly in the wet - scoobs/evos etc are one of the best cars about. Once into 2nd gear, I'd guess the new VXR Astra will comfortably match a standard UK WRX.

However, there's still a lot of inaccurate rubbish spouted about torque! You can get >1000lbft by putting a scaffold pole over a torque wrench - but it will not accelerate a car well. An F1 engine produces less torque than an STi PPP. Put an F1 engine in an Impreza, it would comfortably out-accelerate an STi PPP, courtesy of it's 850bhp! If you apply science rather than pub wisdom, what actually makes for acceleration is area under the power curve in the area you're using.
Old 19 April 2005, 10:01 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Totally agreed; after all, bhp is just a product of torque and rpm. Not aimed at anyone here, but it's amazing how many people don't know what torque and bhp actually are.

Stats will never give the complete picture of how a car will drive etc., but they are handy for comparisons. 0-60 is just one set of figures which allows you to get some idea of performance; I agree it should be viewed with the other figures. If we want to talk about how we drive most, and choose the most suitable figures from that then I'd guess the 'constant 40 mph' figure would be the one most often used...
Old 19 April 2005, 11:18 PM
GSI Mav
Scooby Regular

Just been catching up on this thread and thought I stick a few points in.

My Mk4 Astra GSI Turbo is currently running Stage 1 with a Cat back Milltek exhaust producing 240bhp and 260lbs\ft Torque. Those figures are very similar indeed to the VXR Astra's figures. In terms of weight the VXR should be virtually identical to the Astra Sport Hatch which has a curb weight of 1303kg.

Now here's the interesting part - I can launch my GSI from 0-62 in 5.79 sec (proven stat) and it will do a quarter mile in 13.84 sec (again proven stat). Now bearing in mind that the VXR has very similar power figures to my Mk4 GSI and weighs roughly the same I would say it's fairly safe to assume that performance figures would be very close to mine indeed especially when you consider the VXR is on the new mk5 Astra chassis.