ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Tyre Pressure Sensor ???

Search this Thread

Old 12 April 2005, 11:07 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tyre Pressure Sensor ???

How does the Laguna tyre pressure sensor unit work and is it's technology transferable accross to other cars.

I just thought it would be nifty but also a nice safety feature to be able to see the tyre pressure of the wheels i'm planning on pushing hard now and again.

Minty.
Old 12 April 2005, 12:11 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

AFAIK you can buy aftermarket versions of this. A sensor is fitted to the wheel inside each tyre and transmits a pressure signal wirelessly back to a main unit inside the car with a display on it.

Here's one example: http://www.tyresave.co.uk/smartire.html
Old 12 April 2005, 01:07 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

In the US the TREAD act will make the fitting of Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems (TPMS) mandatory to new cars (after October '06?). The EU will not be far behind. Whether these systems can be retrofitted is unclear, but it is a major growth industry at the moment.

I would have thought that driver education to look at tyres before setting off was better use of the £50 or so that these systems will add to the price of a car. Some can only detect a 25-30% drop in pressure, so you won't get a digital readout on the dash

Some are battery powered radio transmitters with built in pressure sensors, others are linked in to the ABS system to measure differential rotation. Don't know which the Laguna uses.
Old 12 April 2005, 01:55 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

Thats what i was hoping for, a digital read out if possible, although i have not seen the Laguna system.

£220 seems very very expensive tho, it has to be the RF system that you are paying for as the sensors cant be much at all.
Also i have read that the sensors last for approx. 10 years with the low battery consumption, surely they can develop kinetic sensors ??????