Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Swapping Vauxhall Astra for a Scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 06 April 2005, 11:23 AM
matthewrw
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping Vauxhall Astra for a Scooby?

Am I insane?

My wife currently drives an '03 Astra 1.6 SXi. I have a BMW 320D company car.

She's about to give up work (bun in the oven due November), so she's not going to be doing many miles.

I'm considering trading in her Astra fore a 2000 or 2001 UK spec Turbo (probably Wagon) - so will probably have to put down a grand or 2.

She would be using the Scooby on a daily basis - pottering round town, going to Tesco etc.

I envisage using the BM for motorway business miles, but using the Scooby for local appointments and definitely for weekend fun.

Do you think I should do it?
Old 06 April 2005, 11:44 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

ummm yeah
Old 06 April 2005, 11:52 AM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Definatly,my wife used to have a have an Astra 1.8 sport,it was a 98S plate so it would have been the same model as yours but with the bigger engine and if anything went wrong with it all the parts were more expensive than my Subaru.
The difference in drive is chalk and cheese as well with the Subaru not having that strange rubber steering wheel feeling that the astra has.
We've still got my Impreza but we chopped her astra in for a Celica 1.8 vvti and she's never been so happy with a car and i must admit it does drive very nice.
Problem for you is once you have the Scooby the Beemer will take a big back seat and you'll be wanting to swap that for one as well If you could stomach the fuel bills that is lol.
Old 06 April 2005, 11:55 AM
matthewrw
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by j4mou
ummm yeah
Yeah, but is it sensible?

I'm desperately trying to resist buying one - and I need someone here to tell me to be sensible, and stick with the Astra.

On second thoughts, this is the wrong place to ask!!!
Old 06 April 2005, 11:57 AM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

If you get your astra serviced at vauxhall then a subaru is no more expensive to run aside from fuel and insurance.But if your not going to be doing loads of miles in it then it won't make a massive difference to be honest,just get a few quotes first
Old 06 April 2005, 12:11 PM
matthewrw
Scooby Newbie

I've already realised that I'm going to force her to have the Beemer - I won't be able to resist driving the Scooby everywhere!

I should probably post this question in the 'insurance' section, but what do you guys recommend?

We're both 27, 5 years+ no claims, 3 points each in last 5 years.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 06 April 2005, 12:14 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah it must be a really hard decision.... lol.

astra or impreza astra or impreza astra or impreza

get it bought already lol

as for insurance try www.confused.com

im with elephant they are charging me £540 fully comp, its highly modified and ive declared everything im 32 its a jdm import and i have 2 years ncb.

Last edited by Jamo; 06 April 2005 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06 April 2005, 06:03 PM
RB5 Paul
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matthewrw
I've already realised that I'm going to force her to have the Beemer - I won't be able to resist driving the Scooby everywhere!

I should probably post this question in the 'insurance' section, but what do you guys recommend?

Same as me then when i first bought mine,last years price when i was 28 was £914 but my car is modded with induction kit,exhaust,remap and brembo brakes.
This years best quote so far is £895 with protected no claims from elephant with all mods declared.
Old 06 April 2005, 06:13 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matthewrw

DO IT DO IT DO IT

I'm same age with same no claimes etc. Cost me £830 including NCD protection, legal etc.
Old 06 April 2005, 11:10 PM
matthewrw
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jowl
DO IT DO IT DO IT

I'm same age with same no claimes etc. Cost me £830 including NCD protection, legal etc.
Well, after a full day of calling 30 insurance companies, I've managed to get the quote down to £739.

That is fully comp, protected NCB, both me and the wife insured, both of us are 26(!) with 5 years NCB, both got 3 points.

Decent quotes:

A-Plan £739
Greenlight £750
Privilege £775

But can you beleive that the wife is moaning about trading her Astra in for a Scooby?

Women.
Old 07 April 2005, 12:05 AM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

one word. Missus + baby = BE BLOODY CAREFULL in a scooby and make sure she knows how to drive cars. I know far to many people got in scoobies and written them off very quickly
Old 07 April 2005, 10:09 AM
minor_threat
Scooby Regular

If possible take your wife for a test drive in a Scooby. My mum didn't want to get into mine because she said it was too fast and wasn't safe! So I explained about AWD, uprated brakes, levels of grip, twin airbags and that she was far more likely to walk away from a scoob in the event of a crash than she was in her car. My fiancee's mother was the same. Then after a short trip in the car they loved it!