Subaru RB5 Induction advise

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2005, 04:08 PM
RB5RLP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subaru RB5 Induction advise

Hi Guys

Just purchased an RB5 which has a K&N induction kit fitted to it, I have been told that this kit is no good for the car as it may cause damage, can anyone give me some detailed feedback on this matter and should I put the original air box back on....

Cheers Russ
Old 31 March 2005, 04:10 PM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Poorly fitted induction kits can cause problems (if they shake too much) as can oil impregnated air filters and air filters which don't filter too well!

AFAIK, K&N are one of the "safer" induction kits to have (i have had a k&n based kit for a year with no problems, the ITG panel filter beforehand buggered up my MAF within 3 months!)
Old 31 March 2005, 04:15 PM
richiewong
Twatful

K&N are one of the 'safer' induction kits you can get, should only be very lightly oiled with little getting drawn into the MAF.

The main problem is usually vibration causing MAF failure with induction kits. Make sure it's securely held in place.

Also they tend to draw hot air from the engine bay when idling so proper shielding and cool air feed are usually essential for any real benefit.

To be honest the standard airbox with decent panel filter(STi, Green, K&N) should be enough unless you want the induction noise and hearing the dump valve
Old 31 March 2005, 04:23 PM
RB5RLP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richiewong
K&N are one of the 'safer' induction kits you can get, should only be very lightly oiled with little getting drawn into the MAF.

The main problem is usually vibration causing MAF failure with induction kits. Make sure it's securely held in place.

Also they tend to draw hot air from the engine bay when idling so proper shielding and cool air feed are usually essential for any real benefit.

To be honest the standard airbox with decent panel filter(STi, Green, K&N) should be enough unless you want the induction noise and hearing the dump valve
Cheers Guys sorry to sound stupid but waht does MAF stand for and if it does go wrong how much to replace the MAF.

Russ
Old 31 March 2005, 04:27 PM
richiewong
Twatful

MAF is the Mass Airflow Meter which is located straight arfter the airbox, or in your case, the filter.
Measures the amount of air entering the engine and adjusts fueling.
Failed MAF's can lead to the engine going t1ts up in the worst case
Particulary fragile on the MY99/00 cars
Part No 22794AA010 Meter CP-Air flow about £75 from your Subaru dealer.

For finding fault codes have a look here
Old 31 March 2005, 04:31 PM
RB5RLP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by richiewong
MAF is the Mass Airflow Meter which is located straight arfter the airbox, or in your case, the filter.
Measures the amount of air entering the engine and adjusts fueling.
Failed MAF's can lead to the engine going t1ts up in the worst case
Particulary fragile on the MY99/00 cars
Part No 22794AA010 Meter CP-Air flow about £75 from your Subaru dealer.

For finding fault codes have a look here
So would you advise to put the original air box back on and purchase a panel filter ??

Russ
Old 31 March 2005, 04:58 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

The reason this type of filter is bad for the car is because the resonator box is removed. This box creates swirl in the air and the MAF reads the air flow correctly. Running without causes the MAF to incorrectly read and causes the engine to run lean with associated det. problems.
Most mappers know to map around this.

If you havent got a knock sensor then I suggest you get one and see if you are detecting any det. If not then its probably ok to leave as is, if you do then put back as was or have the car remapped.

Oil contamination of the MAF is an issue, but this type of filter does not normally cause this problem.

Trending Topics

Old 31 March 2005, 06:27 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

If I were you Id take it off and sell it. Re-fit the original airbox/resonator and use a good quality panel filter like the Japanese STI one; Imprezas dont benefit from 'induction kits' at all. Id also replace the MAF meter; itll be the best £80 that youll ever spend on the car.

Simon