Sponsored by:

I wish Subaru would....

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2005, 07:42 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I wish Subaru would....

- (in the UK) fit an alarm that would work without having to be by the car every time you wish to use it (and this is on an MY05) when every other manufacturer out there can fit one that works from 10-15 foot away at least

- Save a little bit of money by making the tilt and slide sunroof operate with one button, rather than two - as every other car manufacturer seems to be able to make it work with just one button!

- get rid of the stupid stupid stupid 'bright' button (which does so little it's a total waste of wiring) and change this to a proper rheostat so that we could dim or brighten all of the dials illumination to an agreeable level because this is really not difficult to do

Andy
Old 28 March 2005, 09:39 AM
Catherine
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
- (in the UK) fit an alarm that would work without having to be by the car every time you wish to use it (and this is on an MY05) when every other manufacturer out there can fit one that works from 10-15 foot away at least

- Save a little bit of money by making the tilt and slide sunroof operate with one button, rather than two - as every other car manufacturer seems to be able to make it work with just one button!

- get rid of the stupid stupid stupid 'bright' button (which does so little it's a total waste of wiring) and change this to a proper rheostat so that we could dim or brighten all of the dials illumination to an agreeable level because this is really not difficult to do

Andy
What 05 Scoobie have you got? I haven't really noticed these as problems. When you say getting the alarm to work from a distance do you mean the central locking/alarm. I have to say that ours does work from a distance as we frequently check it is locked from within the house late at night.
Old 28 March 2005, 09:51 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mightyyid
I disagree a bit here - I have always considered it a decent safety/security feature (whether intentional by Subaru or not, lol ) that the key fob does not work from a long, long way away. I feel it guards against mistakenly unlocking the car as you walk away and stuff the keys in your pocket/bag etc, and other scenarios like that.

I work for a hire car company and some of the cars can have their key fob operated from a long, long way away which, while convenient in some instances, can sometimes be inconvenient too.

As for the sunroof, havent got one so didnt know how they worked - but it does seem a bit fiddly.

As for the bright switch though - I think its brilliant lol
Old 28 March 2005, 10:02 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Why would you want to disable the alarm 15foot away? madness.

Just like the silly eject button on my DVD remote control, why? you need to go to the machine to take out the disc anyway

Dipster
Old 28 March 2005, 10:03 AM
Avalyn
Scooby Regular

Hold the key fob to the side of your temple before plipping it ..

Hey presto lock and unlock from further away

Avalyn.
Old 28 March 2005, 10:06 AM
JohnMcC
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davedipster
Why would you want to disable the alarm 15foot away? madness.

Just like the silly eject button on my DVD remote control, why? you need to go to the machine to take out the disc anyway

Dipster
Lol, quite Definitely agree with the eject button Its a bit like years ago when my aunt & uncle had electric curtains. But they also had tie backs, so had to get up anyway lol.

You either are getting in the car so dont need it to be open until you get to it, or you are leaving the car so can lock it as soon as you get out.

The only scenario I can think of is if the alarm is going off perhaps - but then I personally would want to get close enough to check on it anyway.....
Old 28 March 2005, 02:38 PM
andy hs
Scooby Regular

Also it would be nice to adjust the delay of the intermittent windscreen wipers.

Andy
Old 28 March 2005, 02:52 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I didnt know new ages had the bright swich lol
Old 28 March 2005, 02:52 PM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

lol. You can adjust the delay of the wipers?
Old 28 March 2005, 05:40 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by andy hs
Also it would be nice to adjust the delay of the intermittent windscreen wipers.

Andy
Ha Ha your wish has been already granted...

Dipster
Old 28 March 2005, 06:04 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

1. No alarm on my import so I could choose which one I wanted
2. No sunroof, takes up headroom and much prefer climate control
3. No bright switch
Old 29 March 2005, 07:31 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chrisp
1. No alarm on my import so I could choose which one I wanted
2. No sunroof, takes up headroom and much prefer climate control
3. No bright switch
Beginning to think that should have been the way to go - an import.

Interesting how many people feel that it's a benefit to not have the alarm working from 15 foot away. Sometimes the alarm / c/l will work by the rear window but most of the time I have to stand by the drivers door to get it to unlock. That's stupid - I may as well use the key in the lock.

Given the MY05 has the button built-into the keyfob, its pretty hard to activate the button while in your pocket, so I have no issue with the locking/inlocking from a distance in error - besides, mine's activated that if you do unlock it and don't open a door in 30 secs or so, it relocks itself.

Sorry - but to my mind, remote centrol locking is purely a convenience thing - why else would you have it? So therefore, why should it work so close to the car. It seems as if others on here with MY05 work further away so for the next service I'll get them to check it out, but to my mind it is still pants given it's an aftermarket alarm that Subaru UK fit.

I like sunroof's and at 6' 1", have no issue with head height.

And the bright button is still pathetic and a waste of wiring.

Sometimes I wonder if too many people on here are blinkered by the fact that anything Subaru does is wonderful. It's a good car but it has its faults, and to be honest, look at a standard Impreza and for the same money, there are lots of other cars out there that are a lot better in pretty much every area.

But I'm just interested in what else people would change - it would seem not a lot. Nowt so queer as folk and all that!
Old 29 March 2005, 08:19 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

What about the little sun visor above the rear view mirror that fails to actually fill the space and is a waste of plastic? Could at least be a sunglasses holder or similar.

What about an electric window lock switch that allows the driver to still operate the windows while preventing the kids from doing so.

How about driving lights instead of fogs that are used legitimately once or twice a year maximum. Or at least make them a no cost option.

Sidelight bulbs that you can change without dismantling half of the front of the car.

etc.

There are many other examples e.g. a decent stereo, but these would cost money and I wouldn't have been able to afford the car then.
Old 29 March 2005, 08:40 AM
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

All i can say is, can you get into your car from 40 foot away?
No, so what is the point of having the alarm and central locking work from that far away? Thats just stupid.
I forgot to say, my alarm is that good, when i press the button on my key to unlock/disarm it does absolutely nothing, and i have to use the keypad to stop the alarm in my MY03.
Aint alarms great? lol.

Last edited by MaDaSS; 29 March 2005 at 08:43 AM.
Old 29 March 2005, 12:06 PM
Topcat1
Scooby Regular

I wish Subaru would revert back to fitting decent seats in the WRX, instead of the flat shapless ones they fit now fitted with the side airbags. It just means that the buyer has to spend several hundred pounds more fitting seats that are comfortable to sit and drive in.
Old 29 March 2005, 12:52 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MaDaSS
All i can say is, can you get into your car from 40 foot away?
No, so what is the point of having the alarm and central locking work from that far away? Thats just stupid.

Panic push facility ?
Old 29 March 2005, 04:27 PM
automodellistagt
Scooby Regular

i agree with the plastic sunvisor thingy, but will have to hunt for the bright switch