Sponsored by:

Tints??

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2005, 09:32 PM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tints??

Hi dose anyone now the legal % that tints have to be as thinking of getting some to stop people seeing in, but want to stay legit!! Im sure the % is different for front and rear windows? cheers, Willsy
Old 26 March 2005, 09:38 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Anything you want on the rear doors and screen, but the fronts are a bit questionable. The law IIRC states they must allow at least 70% of light transmission, and seeing as how most cars have slightly tinted glass which are usually around 20-28%, even a 5% aftermarket tint film could push you to the wrong side of the law. Better to query it with the place who's gonna be doing the job, as they should be fully aware of the legal requirements and ramifications. Most of those who've been done seem to have the OTT limo tints, so I think you may get away with a sensible 10% maybe all around, or 10% fronts, 20% rear ? I never cared for the 2 shades as it starts to look a bit van-like.
Old 26 March 2005, 09:46 PM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Anything you want on the rear doors and screen, but the fronts are a bit questionable. The law IIRC states they must allow at least 70% of light transmission, and seeing as how most cars have slightly tinted glass which are usually around 20-28%, even a 5% aftermarket tint film could push you to the wrong side of the law. Better to query it with the place who's gonna be doing the job, as they should be fully aware of the legal requirements and ramifications. Most of those who've been done seem to have the OTT limo tints, so I think you may get away with a sensible 10% maybe all around, or 10% fronts, 20% rear ? I never cared for the 2 shades as it starts to look a bit van-like.
Cheers for you advice mate, i know what you mean about the two tone window look! not to my liking either really but will see! May sack the idea!, Willsy
Old 26 March 2005, 11:36 PM
mattsan
Scooby Regular

Limo rear window and 2 rear doors,fronts just a bit lighter,had mine done a long time not been pulled off the feds yet.Dont think there that bothered unless there really dark.
Old 27 March 2005, 09:08 AM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Nicked from here :

http://www.westlothiannews.co.uk/Art...ficpolice.html

Has law on window tinting changed?

Q Has the law on window tinting changed recently as someone has informed me that the front driver and passenger windows cannot be tinted at all?

A For some reason, this has been a very popular question recently. In lieu of the uncertainty, I have checked with VOSA (Vehicle & Operator Services Agency) and have confirmed that the limits previously stated are still in force, suffice to say they are as follows:-

Front Windscreen: 25% (they must let 75% light through)
Front Windows (i.e drivers and passengers): 30% (70% light must get through)
All other windows – No restriction.

Any firm who advertise the fitting of these tints should be fully aware of the restrictions imposed and advise their customers accordingly.

As a cyclist/motorcyclist AND Scooby driver I wish people wouldn't get dark tints on the fronts as, especially at night etc, it is sometimes impossible to see the driver and therefore get any clue as to whether they have spotted you or not. They may sometimes look cool but IMHO dark tints are a bad idea.

I know someone that works for VOSA and he is of the same opinion : anyone with illegal tints he comes across gets a rectification notice at least !
Old 27 March 2005, 09:10 AM
nickejmartin
Scooby Regular

watch insurance though. Some companies won't insure you if there is any tinting front or back. I ended up with mine being done through Pentagon, fantastic job but they refuse to do the fronts. I opted to have anti hijack film put on instead and even this caused a problem with the insurance as it effectively makes the glass more expensive to replace. So rather than get a discount I ended up paying more!.

Direct Line was one of a very limited number of companies that still offered to insure the car. Admiral, Norwich U, AFlux, Endsleigh all refused to insure the moment I mentioned tints, regardless of back or front.

So you can do what you like back of the b pillar, but the fronts should not have anything. And don't do it, if you are looking to sell. On my P1 it became a major problem as dealers are immediately put off and more people seem not to like than like.

On my Evo I have had the windows graded, so sides gradually become darker to limo on the back screen. Looks ok, but it was the best I could get away with without risking insurance.

And i have been stopped twice in 3 months by local police checking. Both times for other things - number plates and 71mph on a motorway, but each time they have checked light factors on all windows.
Old 27 March 2005, 09:36 AM
willsy369
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, sounds too much hassel to bother with so think i'll stay natural!! Cheers for all info, Willsy