Auto Windscreen - Glass Tints - Help requiered

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2000, 12:52 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

I've just had my windscreen replaced at Auto Windscreens (Admiral repairers), but the tint does not look right and now I don't know how to proceed.

The car is a Silver MY95 and it has a blue tint to the windows. I asked the chaps to fit the blue tint, but I've noticed that from inside the car it looks less blue than the other windows (almost brown by comparison). To me it's quite noticable.

Now, is there anything I can do? I admit that when I picked the car up, it did look OK, but I was wearing my sunglasses to drive home in, so this probably did not help. The guys have agreed to take a look at it, but I have a feeling there going to say that there is not much they can do. Is there anything I can do about this??
Old 06 November 2000, 01:00 PM
BillyHeadcase
Scooby Regular

I'm going out on a limb here, but doesnt each glass panel get stamped with a BS mark, and some kind of tint marking/spec, I'm sure it will have a model ref which can be matched to the other panels....If so, give it em till its right....****ers!
Old 06 November 2000, 01:10 PM
Greg115
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ive just had my windscreen replaced and was told that it was a green tint and that most scoobies were green. Looking at my car I cant really tell what colour the tint is, just that it is tinted.
Old 06 November 2000, 02:05 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Was the tint a good match?

They (AW) do carry green tints as well, but they were quite sure it was a blue one that needed fitting.

How do I stand leagally on insisting that another, closer match, is fitted?

Cheers

[This message has been edited by Nimbus (edited 06 November 2000).]
Old 06 November 2000, 02:30 PM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Just had the rear passenger window on mine replaced and its definitely a green tint on UK94.

Took two of us with a piece of white paper before we decided it was green and not blue.

Auto Windscreens did mine.
AW thought it should be green and not blue for my MY.

[This message has been edited by Blackscooby (edited 06 November 2000).]
Old 06 November 2000, 02:39 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

I am on my third windscreen - only had the car a year! (MY99 UK Turbo)
The first time i called Autoglass they asked me what colour tint it was, i said blueish. They checked and came back stating that the tint colour is green, not blue. They where right.

Don't know if this is of help, just my experiences with Autoglass
Old 06 November 2000, 02:42 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Mmmm, this is very interesting as they thought that the original windscreen was green, but the side windows were blue!! So, had a blue fitted in front as well.

I'm defo not happy about the tint at the moment and will see what they can do. Any advice welcome...
Old 06 November 2000, 02:43 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

green tint mate..

legally, i s'pose they have taken to replace an item with an identical one. By law, I suspect they have breached the consumer contract, contact your local C-A-B, for more info..

rgds, Alex
P1
Old 06 November 2000, 03:20 PM
SteveC
Scooby Newbie

I bought my 96 from Lancaster Reading as a 1 yr old car, and they changed the windscreen at the last moment before delivery to me, saying that they'd seen a chip in the eyeline area (I hadn't....).

The glass in the rest of the car is definitely green, but the screen Lancaster fitted is blue... They also forgot to fit the press-clips which hold in the rubber trim along the gutter below the screen, which I fitted myself (£14!!).

The different tint has bugged me ever since, but I've been too lazy to take it back, so too late now. Our matching 96 wagon has green tints all round.

Steve.
Old 06 November 2000, 03:33 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Steve,

So, with fitting a blue front screen there's a definite difference from the standard (green)??? Sounds just like mine is now.

Looks like, from the comments made here, that it should have been a green one they fitted. Now I'll just have to see if they will replace it. I'm not that confident, but will give it my best shot.
Old 08 November 2000, 12:29 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Yea, sunlight is when it's noticable the most. The anoying thing was that I thought it was green to begin with, but AW stated it was blue, so I went with their recomendation.

When I drive to work now it's always on the back (and sometime front) of my mind as it's so different.

Anyway, I'm going over to see them this week to sort it out with the manager. Keep you posted...
Old 08 November 2000, 11:39 AM
SteveC
Scooby Newbie

Nimbus, yes, no doubt at all about the difference, it's quite obvious - I should have taken it back. The proper green tint is much nicer in sunlight than the blue, too, IMHO. Hope you're not as lazy as me! Good luck to you, hope you get it sorted (I bet it'll get on your nerves, like mine does, if you don't succeed!).

Steve.
Old 08 November 2000, 07:19 PM
AlanG
Scooby Regular

Hi
This topic was brought up about a year ago.
I have a MY99 UK car and had mine replaced after a stone hit it on the motorway.
Anyway, I told Auto Windscreens of this discrepancy, so they decided to use a 'screen from the Subaru dealers in case of any difference in tint but guess what? the tint had a bluish / purple tinge to it in the sunlight.
I've had it in a year now and don't notice it anymore but the response from the dealership was that Subaru source their screens from various outlets with their spec of tint, be it blue or green. It depends on the manufacturer for their interpretation of the colour of tint.
Auto Windscreen wouldn't change my screen for a second time 'cause as far as they were concerned they had changed the 'screen with a bona fide item. ( fair comment)

For anyone wishing to specify a green tinted 'screen my advice would be to ask for a "Pilkington" 'screen. I checked the tint of theirs with my own and seems to be the nearest match you can get to it.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

A

P.S. You could always out of curiousity raise the issue with your dealer to see what reply you get and find out if they can rectify this. As i said already it's not a new query but something that has been going for some time.

[This message has been edited by AlanG (edited 08 November 2000).]
Old 08 November 2000, 07:50 PM
MTR
Scooby Regular

Nimbus,
Auto Windscreens changed the front screen on my MY98, which I had owned from new, and was fitted with the original? green tinted screen.
They fited a blue screen at my home address, which I didn't realise until the fitter had left.
I phoned them up (Sunday night) and explained what I thought had happened, asking them to contact the fitter to keep my original broken screen for comparison, which they did.
I then went to the local depot, were we compared the new scren with the old one, and they agreed it was wrong. Result, they swapped the screen, for a green one no messing.
From what I can remember, Pilkingtons database, or whoever the screen manufacturer was, stated that my car should have had a blue screen, Subaru UK said it should have a Green screen.

Cheers MTR
Now with MY99 with Green screen.
Old 09 November 2000, 04:40 AM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

erm, so your back then u muppet?

Always insist they order you a genuine part to save problems, but check with your insurance company first. The cost isnt always more than the replacement part equivalent.

BTW, NEVER EVER have a windscreen fitted outside of a heated workshop (unless completely unavoidable), always insist it goes back to the depot, especially in winter. The reason is the adhesive which they use to bond it back in can only go off at above a certain temperature and this only happens in a suitable (warm)environment. The only time you'll find out how strong the install was (bearing in mind how much structural rigidity a windscreen can add) is when you have a smash, and thats the wrong time

How do i know, my mate has been a fitter for over 15years.

[This message has been edited by sunilp (edited 09 November 2000).]
Old 09 November 2000, 09:51 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

AlanG,

The replacment blue screen they used is a plikington. I assume they have the green version as well, so I'll compare. I had all ready spoken to the dealer before it was replaced to see what tint it should be, but they were no help

Sunil,

Agree with your comments. It's also what they said at AW. It needs to stand for an hour after fitting to let it set properly

Thanks for everyones comments. It's made me determinied to get it replaced.

[This message has been edited by Nimbus (edited 09 November 2000).]
Old 10 November 2000, 02:28 PM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Smile

An update, for those that are interested...

I went to AW this morining to get the manager there to look at the windscreen. According to his expert eye, the windows on my car are blue. We sat in the car and I tried to show him the difference between the front and side windows and how things looked a different tint. He insisted that it was the right colour.

So, we went into the work shop and he showed me each of the differnt screens, one of blue, one green and a bronze. To my eye the blue one still looked wrong, so we took the green one out side and compared it next to the car so we could look at the side, front and green screens. Now, to my eyes the green one still looked like a better match, but the AW guy still tried to convince me that the blue one was the right colour.

He could see that I was not convinced, so he offered to swap it FOC for the green one. He said, quite fairly, that if it was still wrong that he could do nothing more. This I accepted.

So, I've now got my new green screen and I'm a very happy chappy. To me, it's the best match and I can tell no difference to the rest of the car.

All through this AW were polite and fair and even if we did have a difference of opinion. I can recomend them to anyone.

Thanks Scoobynet for the advice given here. Another example of how useful this BBS is.

Old 10 November 2000, 03:25 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Glad you're sorted mate!

rgds, Alex