Sponsored by:

WRX outpulled by a vectra?

Search this Thread

Old 22 March 2005, 06:21 PM
Who me?
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WRX outpulled by a vectra?

Hello all, just popped in looking for some stats on the WRX models as having seen a thread on a vectra site I wanted to get some info... maybe its just me but couldn't see any 'stats' pages or anything on your site.
Maybe you could post some performance stats up etc as apparently a V6 vectra mildly tuned (FWD, 200ish bhp?) can leave a WRX imprezza once moving or some say even off the line. I found it hard to believe to be honest. What do you guys think? Any figures for it? Maybe you'd like to voice your opinions on it.

The threads here anyway for reference: http://www.vvoc.com/forum/showthread...5&page=1&pp=15

Cheers all.
Old 22 March 2005, 06:23 PM
punkie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Who me?
Hello all, just popped in looking for some stats on the WRX models as having seen a thread on a vectra site I wanted to get some info... maybe its just me but couldn't see any 'stats' pages or anything on your site.
Maybe you could post some performance stats up etc as apparently a V6 vectra mildly tuned (FWD, 200ish bhp?) can leave a WRX imprezza once moving or some say even off the line. I found it hard to believe to be honest. What do you guys think? Any figures for it? Maybe you'd like to voice your opinions on it.

The threads here anyway for reference: http://www.vvoc.com/forum/showthread...5&page=1&pp=15

Cheers all.
As usual, talking sh*te !
Old 22 March 2005, 06:27 PM
little_idiot
Scooby Regular

My old boss had one of them, they are quick, but it couldn't keep up with my 99 uk wagon. they are cruising machines and have quite decent response above 100mph tho.

another mate used to have one that was an ex-police car and was modified by the police - went like **** of a stick!

James
Old 22 March 2005, 06:36 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

If you were clever enough to find this site, register and post a question I'm sure you're bright enough to find some WRX stats on the web
Old 22 March 2005, 06:38 PM
Nick_Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always liked the look of the mk1 GSI Veccy's, but has to be a saloon. Nice recaro's a
Old 22 March 2005, 06:43 PM
Who me?
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Kevin Groat
If you were clever enough to find this site, register and post a question I'm sure you're bright enough to find some WRX stats on the web
Yes and you get faced with about 10 different sets on various versions and depending who tested em. Sorry I asked lol, thought a scooby forum might be a good place to look, silly me. Well people havn't had much to say otherwise so maybe its true then, I wouldn't have belived it but hey you learn something new everyday eh.
Old 22 March 2005, 06:59 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I had an old V6 Calibra, same engine as the earlier Vectras in a lighter, more aerodynamic car, with chip and panel filter upgrade (standard 170 or 167 bhp, with chip and airbox tweak, 190ish not a big issue, GSi had ~190 standard). Huge gearing (110mph at 6700rpm in 3rd), and heavy flywheel meant they weren't that quick at lower speeds. However, with better aerodynamics and lower transmission losses, I wouldn't bet on standard UK scoobs beating it once you're into 3 figure speeds. I did once surprise an Elise or two on trackdays by happily living with them except in the real slow corners

Parents had an (also chipped, airbox mod) V6 SRi Vectra. Following them on a couple of occassions, my (standard at the time) bugeye WRX was noticeably quicker up to 80 or so, but probably not after that. Since exhaust/remap etc on the scoob, when used properly it'll beat 2.5 Vectras up to 120+.

Off the line, the Mk1 Vectra, Calibra etc did not have the traction to get near a hard driven scoob. However, they had plenty of smooth effortless torque in the 1000-2500rpm band and could never be caught off-boost, which is not something you could ever accuse Scoobs of

New Vectra has 3.2 V6 which is going to be more pokey, but heavier. I'd bet on it winning at 120+, but losing miserably off the line and losing noticably at low speed
Old 22 March 2005, 07:10 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

There may well be stats on the official Subaru site, can't think why. In fact, there's stats on that very thread. WTF?

As for Vectras - ha ha ha ha, worst car I ever drove, and I mean it.

Anyway, can someone put this thread with all the other "car X blows off scooby shocker" type ones? Maybe we need a new section on this site...

Popcorn anyone?

(edit - just read a few posts on that link, best quote = "The guys that own Imprezas would just laugh at this thread")

Last edited by ru'; 22 March 2005 at 07:13 PM.
Old 22 March 2005, 07:15 PM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

I had a SRI V6 for a while and sold it cause it was so dam slow.

Got over taken by a scooby on a slip road, i was at full throttle and this P1 came past me so fast!!

Waste of my money when i got the vectra, it went up for sale the very next day.

I spent loáds of time on the phone to Regal in Southampton and they could do wonders, but nothing to match the Jap spec Impreza, GTiR, R33 GTR, Supra, all of which were selling for great prices of the Jap 'shelf'

The vectra might be a match for the Sport of a UK spec Wrx, but wheres the shame?

I'll never own a Vauxhall again. Why would you want to?

Go see their site, they all claim to have at one time beaten an impreza, a kind of ***** envy, chip on shoulder thing going on there.

Someone organise a SHOW DOWN at Elvington, Vectras vs WRX/STI day!!!
Old 22 March 2005, 07:18 PM
WRXPete
Scooby Regular

Perhaps it could be pointed out that Impreza has just one Z in it.....i even saw it spelt Impretsa the other day on ebay....inspires confidence in the buyer i'm sure!!!
Old 22 March 2005, 07:18 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

I had an ex-police Vectra SRi V6. Really liked it for mile munching. $hitty FWD resulted in it losing control at low speed on the motorway whilst swerving to avoid something. Resulted in me wedged firmly in the crash barrier facing oncoming traffic.

Other than that the engine was nice and smooth and had enough poke. Not a patch on a std UK classic though.

Bob
Old 22 March 2005, 07:29 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

http://www.letstorquebhp.com/

mine works out to be 10 seconds 0-100
Old 22 March 2005, 07:36 PM
st3ph3n
Scooby Regular

I drove a vectra for 3 and a bit years. It was just a 1.8 club, but it had more than enough power, without trying too hard, to make the front wheels spin. Trying to get the power down with the V6 must be all kinds of difficult.
Old 22 March 2005, 07:49 PM
luketurb
Scooby Regular

i had a v6 calibra too, bag of ****e, induction kit and chip and exhaust, wheel spun well tho, but only if u revved the bollox off it, ive had 2 classics both 2000 turbos and i couldnt even put them in similar leagues let alone the same ones!!! V6 vauxhall engine = to a 2.0 turbo boxer subaru engine, naaa never!!
Old 22 March 2005, 07:54 PM
AlanPPP
Scooby Regular

I wasted a V6 veccy a few nights back.No contest IMO.This was on the move and he tried to undertake me on a carrigeway most liklely in 2nd gear.I just planted it in 3rd an By By rep machine.Mine a 94 WRX.
Old 22 March 2005, 07:55 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

had a v6 gsi (before the engine blew up) and at the mo have a v6 sri. neither is a patch on the scoob but thet are decent enough above a 100 though
Old 22 March 2005, 08:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I got the hop on a MY01 WRX today, overtaking a lorry, I was behind and I was in the right gear, had no lag and got on the power first. It could not pull obviously away after that and he would have been into 4th gear comfortably by then.

I was in a Ford Puma (just the regular 1.7, not the racing one), if I had the wife's vRS it might have been even easier to stick with it. I used to have fun with WRXs when I had a 194 BHP front wheel drive 3.0 V6 406.

WRXs as standard these days are not at all quick in a straight line compared with a lot of FWD stuff like the old turbo used to be compared with its contemporaries.
Old 22 March 2005, 08:23 PM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Obligatory "I would beat them in the twisties" post.

They don't call that car the Veerer for nothing.

Even if it could out accelerate a scoob, they are just horrible to drive, have no rear visability and are rapidly getting the same stigma as BMWs. I think I would rather have a Mondeo, but there's not much in it TBH.

I particularly love how Vauxhall tried to copy BMWs black + beige leather interior from the new 3 series, and implemented in the cheapest nastiest black/grey and smoke-stained-browm flimsy plastic they could find. They didn't even try to texture it to look leatherish like they did in my Legacy (where it works really well), just left it with this regular diamond shaped machined look pattern of dimples.
Old 22 March 2005, 08:27 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

mondeo st220 is a new age wrx scarer, the new focus st with the volvo turbo engine will be as well
Old 22 March 2005, 08:45 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Is it true a standard Robin reliant can thrash an IMPERETSZA in an egg and spoon race?
Old 23 March 2005, 11:45 AM
Who me?
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Originally Posted by v5 man
Is it true a standard Robin reliant can thrash an IMPERETSZA in an egg and spoon race?
Starting to sound like it, can't believe most on here are actually agreeing with it it seems. I know the scoob is only a baby jap, not in the Skyline GTR league etc.. but still... a v6 vectra????

Old 23 March 2005, 01:04 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

It all comes down to power and drag as the speeds increase. Power to weight ratios only apply when the car is at rest. As soon as a car starts to move the power figure needs to be reduced to compensate for the drag the car is experiencing.

If you look at the Vec's and then compare them to the scoobies at about 100mph, you will see that they are going to be about the same as one another. The newer 3.2V6 is going to out perfrom a UK classic.

A quicker way to work it out is to just look at the top speed figures. They are slightly quicker than the scoobies, so inevitably, as the speeds increase eventually they will start to pull away.

Of course, as soon as you tune a scoobie the tables can be turned, as scoobies are more tuneable.

Anyway, who cares? If you wanted a Vectra you would have bought one, they cost less than a scoobie. Take a test drive in one, if you like it, swap! Lets see how many ppl swap their scoobies for one....lol

Last edited by Luminous; 23 March 2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old 23 March 2005, 01:15 PM
D70
BANNED

Personally I wouldn't choose to own a Vectra because of their sh1te image and the type of people that tend to get hold of them once people like me have finished abusing them as company cars.
Add to that an interior that reminds me of a national express coach, awful steering and wooden brakes and you have the ultimate "loser" car. The only thing it needs to polish it off would be a Rover badge, still the Poxhaul griffin doesn't exacly demand respect.
Before the vectra morons start mouthing off about Imprezas I haven't got one of those either.
When I did own an Impreza nothing would give me greater pleasure than wiping the smug grin of the face of losers in rubbish like gsi vectras however.
Old 23 March 2005, 01:30 PM
ru'
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
... they cost less than a scoobie....lol
Er, last time I checked (which was just now; no other reason to go anywhere near their website...) the GSi V6 was more expensive than my WRX...
Old 23 March 2005, 01:35 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ru'
Er, last time I checked (which was just now; no other reason to go anywhere near their website...) the GSi V6 was more expensive than my WRX...
Fair point, I was referring to when you buy them second hand. Vectras depreciate like a stone.
Old 23 March 2005, 01:59 PM
Scooby
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I suspect that the WRX was parked up, and the rest of the story is pure optimism, bless 'em.
Old 23 March 2005, 02:04 PM
MidLifeCrisisII
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by v5 man
Everytime m8, even my Mum's push bike can outdrag my UK WRX "when already moving"..... same old Sh1te on this board. Hell why do I pay group 19 insurance.

I'm surprised the DieselNet boys haven't joined in on this one yet ;-)
Old 23 March 2005, 02:12 PM
specialx
Former Sponsor

I saw the title for this thread and just had to laugh!

The reason Me and the wife got into scoobs was due to our v6 vectra being spanked to death by a classic WRX!!

The V6 vectra I had was a company car so it was driven within an inch of it's life most of the time, anyway one day when pulling off the m1 and proceeding onto a great bit of dual carrigeway I was red linning the v6 giving it some right pain when an impreza wrx (did not know what it was at the time) with 5 poeple in came past me like i was stood still!

I tried everything possible but the wrx was just a glimmer in the distance.

Me and the wife carried on with our journey only to find the siad WRX parked up near the wifes mums house with all the occupants stood in a line in the middle of the road with jeans pulled down around their ankles spanking thier asses laughing at me!!!!

"What the f*** is that!" says me very sheepishly!!

"an impreza wrx mate, quick innit!"

"erm yes just a tad" says me!

me and the wife were very quiet at the mother in laws untill we were driving home when she turned around to me and said.

"mmmmm impreza wrx then eh?"

"were are having one of them!"

(god I love my wife!)

took us five years to get one but it was so worth the wait!

vectra beats wrx??? Don't make me laugh!!!

<emails links to wife!>
Old 23 March 2005, 03:43 PM
C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby
I suspect that the WRX was parked up, and the rest of the story is pure optimism, bless 'em.
200bhp & fwd...

220bhp & 4wd...

It's not rocket science to realise that once rolling the vectra could quite feasably be just as quick, if not quicker.

(thats not taking into account that the Impreza is of course, the fastest production car the world has ever seen) (if you listen to some Scoobynet members)
Old 23 March 2005, 04:03 PM
sjfozzy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by D70
Personally I wouldn't choose to own a Vectra because of their sh1te image and the type of people that tend to get hold of them once people like me have finished abusing them as company cars.
Add to that an interior that reminds me of a national express coach, awful steering and wooden brakes and you have the ultimate "loser" car. The only thing it needs to polish it off would be a Rover badge, still the Poxhaul griffin doesn't exacly demand respect.
Before the vectra morons start mouthing off about Imprezas I haven't got one of those either.
When I did own an Impreza nothing would give me greater pleasure than wiping the smug grin of the face of losers in rubbish like gsi vectras however.
In answer to this I own a Vectra 2.0ltr estate and a 93WRX import and they both have thier good points.

The Scooby is by far the better car in performance, handling and pure fun to drive.
However there is no way i could put my racing tandem in the Scooby and take it off to an event. This is where the Vectra comes into its own.
Admitidly it does not have the style or status of a Scooby but it does the job I purchased it for.
As for Reliants, we had one when I was a kid. Best mod to do to this is to add a twin exhaust and use it as a wheel barrow!!!

Quick Reply: WRX outpulled by a vectra?