Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scooby Mudflaps

Search this Thread

Old 31 August 2000, 12:14 AM
ptholt
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When i took delivery of my sti5 it had HUGE red STI flaps on (only 3 tho ggrrrrrr) and they used to drag on the floor under load and generally looked sad.

I had the dealer take them off, but since doing so i have regretted it, the paint work is taking a hammering around the arches and I'm get HUGE rooster tails from the wheel arches so i'm considering getting some as well.

Where can i get ANY type of mud flap ?

Just thought, i could always drive a little slower.................

NAHHHHHHHHHH

[This message has been edited by ptholt (edited 31 August 2000).]
Old 31 August 2000, 11:31 AM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Wink

I know, I know, Mudflaps are not cool, but I want to protect my paintwork this winter from salt etc. I don't like the large moulded add ons that match the side skirts, and I saw a Silver MY00 with some nice "normal" mud flaps the other day in Tescos car park. They had the cut-out for the skirts, and looked to be designed for the car. My dealer has no knowledge of this type of mudflap. Can anyone shed some light?

I either get those, or go for some huge red ones!!

Matt
Old 31 August 2000, 01:06 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

Hi All,

You can buy "Universal" mudflaps from Halfrods etc. but 99 times out of a 100 they are a) crap and b) don't fit perfectly.

The other option is to buy some plastic mudflap material from (for example) Sparco, think you can get it from Demon Tweeks. You cut it to size and screw to your wheel arches. Can look really sad, unless of course your car already looks like a rally car, then it ain't so bad.

Another option is to not bother with mudflaps at all. I recently saw a product (don't remember the name, or where from) that was basically some clear sticky-back plastic sheeting. You were supposed to clean the surface then stick this stuff on. It would protect the paint work from stone chips. Maybe it was Folitec ? Don't know.

Cheers

Ian
Old 31 August 2000, 01:08 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Smile

I retrieved a posting from MTR on the "don't like mudflaps" track. Check it out.
Old 31 August 2000, 01:57 PM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Smile

Barry,

Thanks for retrieving that thread. Home made might be the way to go! I'm only really going to use them from October 'til March/April, as this is the worst time.

Now where is that sheet of carbon-fibre!!

Matt
Old 31 August 2000, 02:07 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Kinda afraid to post, 'cos everyone's gettin flamed at the moment it seems, but....
Cheam motors have 2 kinds of mudflaps on their site, the standard Subaru ones and some 'normal' ones. I'm not trying to advertise anyone etc etc, just trying to help out. I don't have any views on big brake kits or Magnex centre sections .
Chuck
Old 31 August 2000, 02:09 PM
JT
Scooby Newbie

[Another option is to not bother with mudflaps at all. I recently saw a product (don't remember the name, or where from) that was basically some clear sticky-back plastic sheeting.

Armourfend perchance?, 911 owners rave about it for the front /bonnet of their cars, saw some on a boxter, properly applied..VERY hard to detect and did the buisness

John
Old 31 August 2000, 02:26 PM
IWatkins
Scooby Regular

John, you star, that is the stuff.

I had seen it advertised using a 911 as the demo car. Think it was actually applied to the bonnet and front air dam, but I guess the principle is the same.

And if they rave above it it must be good as they are well known to slag anything that isn't perfect

P.S. Don't have this worry on my GT4 as all the areas from about 1/3 up from the sills is covered with plastic mouldings. These come off easily and can be repainted. So I can (and often do) off-road without worrying about my paintwork. Smugo

Cheers

Ian
Old 31 August 2000, 04:00 PM
davespencer
Scooby Regular

matt oz, I obtained my mud flap material which you can have in 5 different colours from Airedale race components tel 01423 360456 then cut it to size required, and then used spray on stone guard on the sills for protection the same colour as the car.
Dave.
Old 31 August 2000, 04:59 PM
Matt Oz
Scooby Regular

Wink

All,

Just fell of my chair!! The Subaru rubber moulded mudflaps are £42 per pair plus VAT. Eeeek!! Guess that the "Blue Peter" touch will be called for!!

Matt
Old 31 August 2000, 05:08 PM
davespencer
Scooby Regular

Have a look at Graham Goode Racing webb site at the prices of all the mud flaps, perferably with a stiff drink on hand.
Old 31 August 2000, 06:31 PM
Aero
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mud-flaps look sad?

You'll be saying bicycle clips look geeky next.

The big flappy red ones make the car look like cheeky.
Old 31 August 2000, 06:47 PM
Mark Piesse
Scooby Regular

I think the ones you saw may have been the new style for Turbo's and Sports not the horrid aero's. The part numbers are SACC1417 for the front and SACC1418 for the rear. If I remember correctly they are approx £50 a pair.
I know it sounds like a cheapskate thing to do but I had a set of the ordinary 'GL' mudflaps fitted at £10 a pair, part no's SACC3348 front and SACC3349 rear, they look ok and do the job. Also unlike the aero's and the new style mudflap they all have Subaru on them.

Mark P
Old 01 September 2000, 08:52 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Armourfend has a website. Go on, have a guess. Give up? <A href=http://www.armourfend.com>www.armourfend.com</A>

I was quoted 60 quidish for a DIY kit to fit the bonnet of a Scooby. Still tempted by that, but the DIY aspect and my propensity to bodge things puts me off...
Old 01 September 2000, 07:38 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Hi Matt,

I have the mud flaps to which you are referring to. They are a normal looking black type but are moulded around the black skirts on the car. I had them fitted from new by my dealer Chapmans of Pickering, North Yorkshire 01751 474488 who also offered a standard Halfords type and the full moulded skirt add-on.

They are the business IMHO, make the car look lower and wider from the back, and keep it clean of course.

Otis.