Sponsored by:

Apr Jap Perf Mag - GGR 500 (bhp) & RCM 650+bhp turbo

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2005, 11:34 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apr Jap Perf Mag - GGR 500 (bhp) & RCM 650+bhp turbo

April Jap Performance Car Mag, good detailed write up on the GGR 500. Claimed 500 bhp @ 1.85 bar. Dyno'd 420 @ 1.5 bar. Nice but a bit pricey at £20k for the conversion. Good to see more big power 2.5 conversions.
Also in the mag is a pretty techy article on Roger Clark Motorsports new twisted turbo setup that allows the turbo to be set in a less restrictive position allowing a larger turbo and better flow - potential for 650+bhp......where's Harvey
Old 14 March 2005, 11:59 PM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read this over the weekend, was going to post up on it but you beat me to it! While I am fully supportive of the conversion the article on the "500" leaves a number of questions untouched eg how do the diffs, transmission & drivetrain, gearbox, hold up to such a significant power and torque hike? What's the rationale behind the use of unequal length headers, despite the current debate/fashion/call it what you will for going the opposite way? These are the sorts of questions I would have hoped the article would have touched on rather than the fauning review that we got given.

Its great having that much power, not so great if you need to change your gearbox after every spirited run!

I don't think £20K is too much to ask for such a conversion, given that Daz's 400bhp conversion from RCM last year cost a reputed £15K. Now whether I would pay that much is another question, but as the costs of these things go, it sounds reasonable. Don't forget the circa £20K cost was for the full monty conversion with changed internals. You can get gains for as little as £8K.

I don't know what GGR are like as a reliable company as I have never had dealings with them. It would be interesting to get the views of those who have. I assume they can't be any worse than some of the more vaunted tuners on this board, and I would hope significantly better, especially in the customer service/customer satisfaction stakes!

While I like Jap Performance as a mag I don't think they go far enough or deep enough on the investigative side when they do these reviews. I see this review as yet another lost opportunity to give the reader some meat to get their teeth into. These mags are getting to be almost like the news of the World; all headlines and no bloody substance.

WB
Old 15 March 2005, 09:04 AM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Not quite as good as Scooby Mania's 450bhp for £8k tho
Old 15 March 2005, 01:50 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Plus point of all this high BHP conversions is that the extra BHP per £ will begin to reduce in the same way that Cossie conversions for 350+BHP are virtually standard on 2nd hand Cossies now.
Old 15 March 2005, 02:16 PM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

the thing that got me on this article was the fact that its 'claimed' 500bhp & not proven.

TBH i cant understand why some1 would want to spend £22k on this conversion, for one why have 500bhp in a scoob?
secondly for £49k (cost of conversion & car) you can get A LOT more car and horses like a porsche RS lightweight, skyline gt-r34 v spec with 750 bhp (approx)

other thing to bear in mind is, your insurance, how high do u think it'll go when u say "oh, and its 500bhp with £22k worth of engine"

just my opinion.

p.s. love the wheels on the scoob
Old 17 March 2005, 01:15 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Readin yer post Kev.
Old 07 June 2005, 03:07 AM
MY92
Scooby Newbie

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but does anyone have that twisted turbo article scanned?

Would love a pic of the headers/turbo/wg.

Cheers