Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STI Type RA Owners - help needed!

Search this Thread

Old 14 March 2005, 06:06 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb STI Type RA Owners - help needed!

I know there are a few STI Type RA owners on Scoobynet, can you all do me a mahoosive favour and let me know who you are using to get insurance please?

I'm in the process buying an MY96 WRX STI Version 2 Type RA at the moment, and am up against a brick wall for insurance as the companies I've tried so far don't have this exact model listed (L&V, Bell Direcy, Peoples Choice so far) and won't insure it as a WRX STI.

I'd prefer a mod-friendly company as it's "had a few things done to it".

I know this should probably be in "Insurance Related" but it's a semi emergency as I'm picking it up next week and need to find someone to insure it!

Mods, can it stay here for a while please?
Old 14 March 2005, 06:11 PM
blueyzfr1
Scooby Regular

try elephant.
very mod friendly (I have a non std exhaust)
I'm after a V5 or V6 STI RA V-Ltd and they said they would insure as STI...
I currently have a MY95 WRX
R.

Originally Posted by Iwan
I know there are a few STI Type RA owners on Scoobynet, can you all do me a mahoosive favour and let me know who you are using to get insurance please?

I'm in the process buying an MY96 WRX STI Version 2 Type RA at the moment, and am up against a brick wall for insurance as the companies I've tried so far don't have this exact model listed (L&V, Bell Direcy, Peoples Choice so far) and won't insure it as a WRX STI.

I know this should probably be in "Insurance Related" but it's a semi emergency as I'm picking it up next week and need to find someone to insure it!

Old 14 March 2005, 06:13 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Cheers - will try them next.

Any others?
Old 14 March 2005, 06:15 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Oh, and another question (to keep it in General ). What's the front/rear power split on an STI2 Type RA? BTW it doesn't have DCCD, i think that was brought in the year after mine.
Old 14 March 2005, 06:50 PM
littlemiss
Scooby Regular

try keith micheals. my folks own a sti ra version 2 ltd. and they were really good. i sorted the insurance for them

what year is yours then? as my one is a N reg so 1996 and that has the DCCD - which is great fun!
Old 14 March 2005, 08:19 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

Try Norwich union as they had the exact model of mine and were very cheap compared to others.
Old 14 March 2005, 08:51 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Cheers, will try Keith Michaels, NU and Footman James in the morning. Elephant didn't have an STI Type RA listed so weren't interested.

It's a MY96 (P) STI Version 2 Type RA (GC8C4DD), it's got no DCCD but it does have a roof vent and Colin McRae / Derek Ringer 'signed' seats.

I think it was called a WRC Limited, there's a V-Limited listed in the SIDC FAQ, but didn't that have DCCD?

Will post pics when I've got it.

If I can get it insured.
Old 14 March 2005, 08:57 PM
Redevilwrx
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have a 99 Type ra vlimited and the best qoute was with Footman James. Oh and by the way RA it short for RAW !!! ha ha 1 of the finest scoobys eva made
Andy
Old 14 March 2005, 10:21 PM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Good luck finding insurance Nice car

If its not got a DCCD then it will have a viscous centre diff, so the same as normal STI's/UK cars. Which iirc is 60/40 front/rear split.

Dave.
Old 14 March 2005, 10:39 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Every STi2 RA that I've ever owned has had dccd, although I have come across a couple that have had the thumb wheel removed rather than fix a problem.

I'm pretty sure it should have a centre diff matey.

Typical RA split, or STi RA when the diff is open, is circa 33 / 67 front to rear.
Old 14 March 2005, 11:25 PM
minty
Scooby Regular

I was with Direct Line who listed my type RA (which had dccd)

Good luck with the insurance, my current car is with Admiral and they seem very cheap compared to all of the other quotes.
Old 15 March 2005, 06:28 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Ok this has got me intrigued/worried now. Did they ever make these without DCCD then? It's got the model code GC8C4DD on the plate under the bonnet which says it's an STI2 Ver 2 RA (there was also a 'Limited' version the same year with that number), is there any way of telling if it had DCCD when it was manufactured?

There's deffo no switch near the handbrake, and no light display on the dashboard.

Thinking about it, my cousin has a 1995 WRX RA (non STI) and that has the DCCD display on the dash, but no actual DCCD fitted.
Old 15 March 2005, 10:22 AM
Keef69
Scooby Regular

Try Churchill too, they were best for my MY97 STI 3 last year.

The version 1 STI RA had DCCD, so it should have it! Has it got the STI intercooler, strut brace, seats and does the redline come in around 7,500 rpm?

What colour is it too? Maybe, if it's blue, it is the V-Ltd edition, if so, you may have even more trouble insuring it as most insurers won't touch it. That's what I found with a V-Ltd version 3, it seems people just don't mention the V-Ltd bit to their insurers! I decided to go for a straight STI in the end.
Old 15 March 2005, 10:32 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

You are quite right; the model code is right for an STi2 RA.

The V-Limited adds to the spec rather than detracts.

I suppose the clocks could have been changed to disguise the fact, but I wouldn't have thought this would have been viable financially?

The diff control ECU, if present, should be down behind the kick panel in the drivers footwell- next to the accelerator if that makes sense. Maybe also flick the blank out where the thumb wheel would normally be and see if there's any wiring knocking about.

I'm guessing that you have the water spray switch by the steering wheel?

Puzzling.
Old 15 March 2005, 10:33 AM
minty
Scooby Regular

I told my insurance company it was a type RA V-Limited and they saidyes thats right a type RA. so i didnt argue the fact that they didnt add the v-limited, after all it was only the air con that made it this i thought.
Old 15 March 2005, 10:39 AM
V LTD sti type RA
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Iwan

Tesco motor insurance. its listed as an sti. im only 24 but no claims helps alot!
Old 15 March 2005, 11:18 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Keef69 , it's dark blue and has a roof vent and McRae/Ringer signature seats so I guess it's definately a V-Limited. I've spoken to Alyn Stockton this morning wh reckons he's seen a couple of these through his workshop which didn't have DCCD fitted.

Just been quoted £2154 by Footman James with mods declared!

My P1 was only £770 FFS.

Last edited by Iwan; 15 March 2005 at 11:20 AM.
Old 15 March 2005, 11:42 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

littlemiss I owe you bigtime

STI2 Type RA V-Limited, with de-cat, induction kit, APEXi ECU, uprated suspension and uprated brakes all declared.

£818.68

to Keith Michaels, and to Footman James.

Old 15 March 2005, 01:13 PM
RayC
Scooby Regular

Can you PM me the phone number for the insurance company that quoted £800 i pay a ring stinging £1600 with Direct line on my Type R!
Old 15 March 2005, 01:17 PM
matscooby
Scooby Senior

My has the same code as yours Iwan and mine has the DCCD.
Old 15 March 2005, 01:35 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Corner

Ok, managed to find out exactly what's what after Ken Ross sent me some helpful info (thread in technical).

You can't just go by the model code, as each model has different variations of colour/trim/transmission. Mine is colour code 53C (555 Blue), which makes it a "WRX STI Version 2 Type RA 555 V-Limited".

You can use the transmission type code off the VIN plate to see what transmission it was built with, by looking it up on the website below:

http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/trans.html

Mine has transmission type TY752VB4CA which isn't supposed to have DCCD. So I know mine definately wasn't built with DCCD - athough obviously some vehicles with the same basic model code (GC8C4DD) were.

My guess is that if you own an STI2 Type RA and it has DCCD then it probably isn't 555 blue.

Oh, and the phone number for Keith Michaels is 0870 8453333 or 0208 643 6006.

Cheers for all the advice/tips.

Last edited by Iwan; 15 March 2005 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Corner ;)
Old 15 March 2005, 02:21 PM
littlemiss
Scooby Regular

no problem at all my dear! glad i could help
Old 15 March 2005, 03:54 PM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555

I've have a 'Wrx type Ra STi version 2 V-Limited'.

It has DCCD and is the special blue colour (sports blue).

From how you have decribed the spec, yours sounds more like a 'Wrx STi version 2 555'. And not a Type Ra.

These have all the things you said (but not the seats). Where is the aerial on your car? (on the A-pillar or near the rear wheel?). And what is the red line set at on the rev counter (7500 or 7000)?
Old 15 March 2005, 04:14 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

The ariel is on the outside of the drivers side A-pillar (normal position?), and the redline is at 7500rpm. What would those point to, STI2 or STI2 Type RA?

I've had a look at http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm , shouldn't a STI2 555 have model code GC8C4ED? I'm pretty sure mine's an STI2 RA (of some derivation) as its model code is definately GC8C4DD. Also, I gave the full VIN number to Graham Goode Racing over the phone to order an air filter the other day and they confirmed it was an STI2 Type RA from that.

I'll post a couple of pics later when I get home, I took some the other day when I went to look at it.

Cheers
Old 15 March 2005, 04:16 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

BTW Normski, what's the colour code on your VIN plate? Mine's 53C which is '555 Blue'.
Old 15 March 2005, 04:49 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

VIN plate for STI2 Type RA Limited without DCCD.

Last edited by Iwan; 16 March 2005 at 11:58 AM.
Old 15 March 2005, 04:53 PM
Normski
Scooby Regular

Location: Stirlingshire; Wrx type RA STi version 2 V-Limited; #097/555

Yeah the paint code is 53C on mine too. I think the proper name for this colour is sports blue (Brian Long's Subaru Impreza book). 555 blue is a kind of nick-name.

The fact of the position of the aerial and the 7500rpm red line would say that the car is a STi type Ra. In addition the colour and the seats make it into a V-Limited.

It was just the DCCD thing that made me wonder.

Here's mine.
http://www.showoffyourcar.com/cars/SUBARU/7900.JPG
http://www.showoffyourcar.com/cars/SUBARU/7899.JPG
Old 15 March 2005, 05:09 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Very nice

I've got a pink 'i' badge on order for mine too. Are the stickers on your boot lid correct for this version? As you can see mine only has the 'Type RA' sticker under the rear light, but I'm tempted to get the "WRX STI" sticker and the World Championship sticker (available from GGR) to stick on.

Then again, I'm still mulling over the idea of a full Colin McRae sticker kit for it.

So from all of the data I've managed to accumulate today I'm now sure that mine is a WRX STi Version 2 Type RA V-Limited (without DCCD), as the model code, engine type code, colour code and transmission type code all match up.

Can't wait to pay for it and bring it home now, then the modding begins...
Old 15 March 2005, 05:22 PM
Scooby125
Scooby Regular

My sti 2 ra has transmisson code TY752VB4CA and does have DCCD. The Sti Ra version 2(first production sti) and the sti ra version 2 v limited have the very same model code and transmission code.WRX type RA STi Version 2

http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/wrx.html

Its all on this page.

Last edited by Scooby125; 15 March 2005 at 05:30 PM.
Old 15 March 2005, 05:31 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Really?

Well that's the wrong code for one with DCCD.

Have a look here, http://www.catherineandken.co.uk/sti/trans.html TY752VB4CA transmission isn't supposed to have DCCD. Ignoring what it says on that website for a moment, is TY752VB4CA what it actually says for transmission code on your VIN plate?

Last edited by Iwan; 15 March 2005 at 05:41 PM.

Quick Reply: STI Type RA Owners - help needed!