ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

buying a P1, need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2005, 12:43 PM
bigshout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a P1, need your advice

I need some advice, I have been offered a friends P1 this weekend. I'm very interested but need your advise on pricing for work needed to be carried out to get it up to what I would call an acceptable level. Don't get me wrong, it's a beauty but as your see these are niggling things

The car is a 2000 (w reg)

32K miles

No issues such as engine, gbox replacements

Prodrive brake upgrade

FSH

3 previous owners

Ok here the issue. The car is needing a service soon an I have been told it will need a cambelt replacement (40K service) the previous service was just an oil service. How much will this cost?

The car is running on 17" P1 alloys, 3 of the 4 alloys are kerbed. How much will getting these refurbished?

Tyres all round are needing replacement. P Zeros, again how much?

Prodrive disk and pads are near there limit, How much to replace?

The lacquer on the CF lip on the rear spoiler is flaking off, is it possible to remove this item to get it re-lacquer?

My mate is looking for around £15K but before I can consider it I need to know how much the above work is going to cost to see if it's a sensible sale.

how much would you pay for this if all the above work needs to be carried out?

Thanks

Old 13 March 2005, 01:05 PM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

Default Brakes

Not sure on the cosmetic stuff, but iirc the discs and pads will cost you somewhere in the region of 1200 to replace, did mine then traded it in 2 months later.. although as it was at the dealer they took this into account on trade in value...

Mine was same year, fully serviced and engine went at 27k, not trying to put you off, just wondered if it has the extended warranty?? worth every penny in my opinion. Although I suppose it's coming upto 5 years now, can they be extended past that?
Old 13 March 2005, 01:07 PM
bigshout
Scooby Regular

no warranty
Old 13 March 2005, 01:18 PM
Hepy
Scooby Regular

I'll say it before anybody else. Buy an v5/6 sti type R instead. They are cheaper/better. I have a P1 btw and love it.
I think the cambelt is about £450.
You should consider selling the 17s and get 18's, looks and handles better imo.
If you keep the 17s you could probably get 4 pirellis for about £390. I found the pirellis to be very poor in the wet when I had them so you should consider another brand. Unsure about the brakes as I replaced my prodrive ones with APs. I didn't rate the prodrive ones tbh. As Ben says a warranty is vital if you don't want to pay out for the almost inevitable fecked engine
Old 13 March 2005, 03:21 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

and an engine around the 50-60k mark
Old 13 March 2005, 03:33 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

that is a lot of work and if no warranty £160 for refurbed wheels,£350 for tyres,£600 for brakes,service £400 at least and the gurney flap might have to be replaced and prodrive only sell spoiler as whole-£1500
i had a p1 but i would probably give it a miss as it needs a lot of work unless you get a good lot of money off and ask a local subaru garage for cost of above
martin