ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MY05 sti question

Search this Thread

Old 09 March 2005, 08:19 PM
furrydice79
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY05 sti question

hi, I know this should be in the ICE section but i thought id get better replies here, my MY05 sti has none too good speakers and was thinkin bout replacing them but was wondering if i also need to a new head unit to make sound better or can i only replace the speakers for the time being, and also what size are the speakers in the car, does anybody know,,,thanks guys
Old 09 March 2005, 09:00 PM
scooby66
Scooby Regular

Hi kept the head unit which is made by kenwood ran a alpine four way amp in the boot this amp will take the speaker outputs as in puts has this org unit has no pre out's.Used compnt Kappa's in front doors then had rear doors disconected .Then had 6x9 Kappa's in rear shelf with a steath shelf shelf re coverd with grey acustic mating they fitted the 6x9's with a mdf spacer ring's.Sound s brill also got a 10disc cd changer (kenwood ) which plugs in to had unit ok .

Last edited by scooby66; 09 March 2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09 March 2005, 10:15 PM
furrydice79
Scooby Regular

hey scooby66, thanks for the run down on what ice yer car has, but still doesnt answer my question....."my MY05 sti has none too good speakers and was thinkin bout replacing them but was wondering if i also need to a new head unit to make sound better or can i only replace the speakers for the time being, and also what size are the speakers in the car, does anybody know,,,thanks guys"
Old 09 March 2005, 10:25 PM
virgin
Scooby Regular

Hi

looking at doing this mod myself, though i would just change front speakers, & keep the unit, the speakers are the issue not the head unit

i beleive you need
Vauxhall corsa speaker pockets from halfords, then most 5.25" speakers will fit, go for components, the speakers pockets provide detph clearence and weather protection as car doors are weather doors,(designed to allow water to run in the door ,this way the door can breath and doesnt rust, in the old days on cars doors did not breath, then of course water get in and cant get out, then rusted)

Now, the above is what ive found out but have not tried it yet

hope this helps
Old 09 March 2005, 10:28 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

the answer is "both" - the head unit is sh1te, as are the speakers. (IMHO, but I am a Sound Engineer - I should know what I'm listening for!!! )

That said - try changing the speakers first (obviously cheaper!) - the whole thing with audio is that it's TOTALLY subjective!!!

Either way, enjoy listening to new speakers/Head units :

Dan
Old 09 March 2005, 10:42 PM
6 pot
Scooby Regular

I fitted an Alpine CDA 9833 R Head unit + amp and sub in the boot sounds a lot better but still needs the front speakers changing, I will be going for CDT audio components @ £189 a pair.

Don't let anybody tell you the factory head unit is any good as it is absolute crap.

If your going to upgrade do it properly, if you can afford the car you can afford the upgrade.

One thing that you will need to use is either Dynamat or Brown Bread to help get rid of unwanted vibration.
Old 09 March 2005, 10:44 PM
virgin
Scooby Regular

an upgraded head unit would provide better range, however the standard head unit is still 16bit , rms output would be down on a aftermarket unit however the SQ and dst differences would not be evident to someone who just wants a speaker change.

But i still maintain speakers are the most import step,but you must first decide how far down the road you want to go first.

So the best audio upgrade IMHO is ditch the front speakers and upgrade for medium cheap 80 quid components around the 50rms mark as the stock head wont be able to drive any higher than that, your sound stage would be greatly improved

ps, i am no expert , but hifi is like modding the scoob, you must decide how far you wanna go ,otherwise you end up blowing loads of dosh and getting ok results instead of good value for money mods
Old 09 March 2005, 10:49 PM
virgin
Scooby Regular

what do you use for the gap when changing stock head unit ?
Old 09 March 2005, 11:29 PM
furrydice79
Scooby Regular

im under the impression i can use a forrester tray to fill the gap,, seen the stock number round here somewhere,,thanks for all the advice guys, my money will mainly go on my new account with shell(lol) and performance mods as apposed to ice, with the advice i have been given im gonna go for new front speakers and see how that sounds, dont have music loud any way but just want it to be a bit better than what it is...
Old 10 March 2005, 09:06 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by virgin
what do you use for the gap when changing stock head unit ?
This...

Dipster
Old 10 March 2005, 07:24 PM
scooby66
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by furrydice79
hey scooby66, thanks for the run down on what ice yer car has, but still doesnt answer my question....."my MY05 sti has none too good speakers and was thinkin bout replacing them but was wondering if i also need to a new head unit to make sound better or can i only replace the speakers for the time being, and also what size are the speakers in the car, does anybody know,,,thanks guys"

If you replace speakers your heat unit will not drive them !! with out an amp.
The gap din fitting you could put in the engine muti display unit from Scooby world or TSL easy fitting just plugs in to the port under steering column (looks like a scart input) Go to a good ICE fitting center.Also price match from most max power type mags to get ther price down ,alot cheaper in these than in the show room .
Old 10 March 2005, 09:50 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

The speakers are 16.5/17cm (6.5 inch) and the autolead spacers don't fit the 05 cars..!

I've just upgraded the front speakers and made a 15mm MDF spacer using the oem spaeker as a template, not difficult if you have a jigsaw, easy if you have a router..!

I was hoping the speaker upgrade would make a significant difference (I'm only after a half decent sound) but unfortunately it hasn't. I'm afraid the head unit really is ****e as said..!

So..... I will probably change it for a midrange unit one day, if I can find something that fits in well with the original consol.

Jason

Originally Posted by virgin
Hi

looking at doing this mod myself, though i would just change front speakers, & keep the unit, the speakers are the issue not the head unit

i beleive you need
Vauxhall corsa speaker pockets from halfords, then most 5.25" speakers will fit, go for components, the speakers pockets provide detph clearence and weather protection as car doors are weather doors,(designed to allow water to run in the door ,this way the door can breath and doesnt rust, in the old days on cars doors did not breath, then of course water get in and cant get out, then rusted)

Now, the above is what ive found out but have not tried it yet

hope this helps
Old 11 March 2005, 04:14 AM
furrydice79
Scooby Regular

many thanks guys,,all your advice has been great.