Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2000, 09:23 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm picking up my car from Holland in the next ten days, can anybody help with what I need to do when I bring it in?
Old 30 August 2000, 08:24 AM
Adan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi,

Here are some tips. Incidentally there is a mailing list for a group of us who are interested in or already have imported. Go to
Old 30 August 2000, 09:34 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Make sure you take as much info as poss to the VRO, they are a bit crap and mis-inform you as to what you need. As it's new, though, you should only need the CoC, invoice from the dealer and the Dutch registration document. Make sure you take the car with you, as DVLA have changed the rules so that any temporary registered car must be physically checked by the issuing officer.

Expect loads of questions from customs. You can elect to pay VAT at point of entry, but it can be done later. The VRO will inform HM Customs and they will bill you.

I got my insurance through A Plan. Didn't need a grren card as it was a Pan Europen policy, fully comp on the chassis number. Cheap too. You will not be insured for theft until you get a Cat1 alarm fitted, so book it in for as soon as possible after you get back. Phone Thatcham for a list of approved fitters, as if you use someone who they don't approve, your insurance will be invalid for theft purposes. You will have to provide a copy of your VSIB certificate for proof that your Cat1 has been fitted properly.
Old 30 August 2000, 11:50 AM
PeteC
Scooby Regular

My advice would be to ring up your local VRO and ask them whether or not they want you to bring the car in. Personally, I would have thought it very unlikely. My VRO (Reading) certainly don't want you to take the car in. They say that they very rarely need to see the car, and then only if things look a little "iffy". Apparently, they've only asked to see one car in the last 200 imports. And if they do want to see it, they won't do it there and then anyway.

Whether or not you are insured for theft when bringing the car back depends on the insurance policy. Mine (WhatCar) is covering me fully comp all the way back (but then will only provide fire and theft cover, ie, I can't drive it, until I get my UK plates).

Pete

Old 30 August 2000, 07:48 PM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

The VRO at Carlisle "inspect" every car that comes in (all they do is check the VIN no and the mileage) so it's definately worth phoning first.
Old 30 August 2000, 08:19 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by PeteT:
<B>The VRO at Carlisle "inspect" every car that comes in (all they do is check the VIN no and the mileage) so it's definately worth phoning first.[/quote]

Old 30 August 2000, 08:26 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Thumbs up

Thanks for your replies - all very helpfull I'll let you know how it goes when I bring it back. The Dutch dealer I am getting it from is CITTO in Rotterdam, any one else get thiers from there?