Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Drove an STi7 PPP

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2005, 08:12 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Test Drove an 02 Model STI Type UK PPP equiped Subaru (not an STi7 PPP)

Whilst my car was in for some warranty work I enquired if I could test drive a used (not an STi v7 PPP model) STI Type UK 02 model (in blue with 18" gold prodrive wheels and the obligatory prodrive bodykit) that was on the forecourt - smelling an opportunity the salesman had the car ready for me to take home for a few hours.

Couple of things immediately came to my notice, the noise via the PPP was excellent, and the engine note far more purposeful. I don't know if its due to the blue colour or the wheels or the rear wing, or the whole lot but boy do you not want to buy this if you are shy!

The performance, particularly above 4krpm was impressive, and they way it remained high up into the rev range was excellent, it reminded me of my ITR in that it liked to rev. It gripped well, and demonstrated little roll in the corners and generally felt pretty impressive.

On the minor negative side, the 6-speed felt notchy and I couldn't shift it around as easily as I can my 5-speed, however, on the way back to the showroom it felt much better, so maybe its a case of getting used to it? Quite a few squeaks from the rear which could have been brought on by the hard suspension or possibly a hard life? The brakes were ok but seem to be quite spongy, I don't know if thats the norm, or if this one needed a service.

Overall - I want one, the 'boy-racer' in my that likes the attention and the power loved it, but, unwittingly the misses asked a very good question of where would you use it? And that was the issue, it was great fun blasting along the dual carriageway, a little scary on my local country road, but once you've done that for a while where next. I'm not a track fan, or a 1/4 mile guru - is this car really a one trick pony? And why can't I convince myself that I don't need one.

Kevin

P.S. Awaiting a call from the salesman on the price to exchange

Last edited by The Incredible Hulk; 08 March 2005 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Wrong title used for car!
Old 07 March 2005, 08:28 PM
sewer rat
Scooby Regular

Smile

i have owned my 02 sti prodrive ppp for a year and still havent lost the grin.
Old 07 March 2005, 08:42 PM
Phil Herrup
Scooby Regular

Cool

Provided you're not intending to do mega mileage - listen to your heart Kevin (not your wife), life's too short to muck about regretting this and that. I wouldn't have a high spoiler myself but 4 beat yes - surprising how quickly you get used to it. Whether the STI 7 is the right one for you is a different matter of course.
Old 07 March 2005, 09:32 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Phil, stop it man, this will only end in tears (of joy ). Have to say I really like the STi 7, always have. I know the bug-eye comes in for some stick, hey even I changed mine to morettes on the wagon, but, the STi just looks fantastic. There were some 03 / 05 STis in the garage, but the 02 STi just looked 'harder'. (Yes I know, I must stop dribling and acting half my age, or maybe not)

Still I did notice that the 05 STi models had some extreme tyres with very little tread pattern - bet they stick like glue when its dry!

The more I think about this, the deeper into debt I get!

Kevin

Last edited by The Incredible Hulk; 07 March 2005 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07 March 2005, 09:38 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Taking a test drive was my downfall. A week later I was down the dealership discussing the pick up date. That was five years ago. Would I test drive the new models? No bloody chance!! I know what happened the last time a went for a test drive!
Old 07 March 2005, 09:59 PM
MichaelH
Scooby Regular

I went to the dealers last year to look at a silver classic turbo. Ended up test driving it, then an 02 Sti. No comparrison!

Really wanted the Sti, but then then the dealer 'kindly' let me drive an 02 Sti Prodrive (which was a few more pennies naturally). Much quicker through the gears, fell in love and skinted myself to buy it. Still love it though!

Last edited by MichaelH; 07 March 2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 08 March 2005, 10:21 AM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk
Kevin

P.S. Awaiting a call from the salesman on the price to exchange
What kinda price is this going for? How many miles etc...

Trending Topics

Old 08 March 2005, 02:22 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

This STI7, STI8 bollocks is starting to get on my ****; am I about to take Greasemonkeys mantle?

Surely itd be an STI8 by your reckoning as the '01 STI, the '7' was a JDM-only model. The 'STI Type UK' wasnt introduced until 2002 IIRC, so thatd be an 'STI8'.....

Itd be less confusing to adopt the naming convention that Subaru use; the last STI revision that they named with a number was the STI6 in 2000. After the 2000 model theyve only referred to STI models by their model year.

Simon

Last edited by GC8; 08 March 2005 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08 March 2005, 02:29 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

Originally Posted by GC8
This STI7, STI8 bollocks is starting to get on my ****; am I about to take Greasemonkeys mantle?
Its about time someone did

Old 08 March 2005, 02:46 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

GC8 or should that be 92-00MY??

I'm with you all the way, the sooner this erroneous numbering system is dropped the better for all concerned. Even one of the magazines is doing it as well with an 05MY STi being described on the front cover as an STi9. Aaaaarrrggghhh!!

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly, but it has to be said!

Mike
Old 08 March 2005, 02:53 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jay_bee
Its about time someone did

Unfortnately, Greasemonkey knows an awful lot more about Subarus in PlayStation games than I ever will.....
Old 08 March 2005, 03:13 PM
Jay_bee
Scooby Regular

Location: Lancaster/Manchester or stuck in a traffic jam somewhere in between

Originally Posted by GC8
Unfortnately, Greasemonkey knows an awful lot more about Subarus in PlayStation games than I ever will.....
PMSL

Welcome to the real world.... Bang. Oops!

Last edited by Jay_bee; 08 March 2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08 March 2005, 06:00 PM
sewer rat
Scooby Regular

i think there was only 1000 my02 sti type uk prodrive style cars built. i know that as soon as i took a test drive in mine i had to buy it, blue/black mica with 18" crystal alloys, ppp, prodrive springs, triple gauges and an ear to ear smile

i had spent 4 months working out what spec i was looking for and it turned up out just ready for me to treat myself for my birthday last year.
Old 08 March 2005, 09:01 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Simon,

Thanks for free lesson in Subaru naming convention - you are of course quite correct that the model I took a test drive in was an 'STI Type UK 02 model' . However, whilst you maybe a smarty pants in that field I do have to express some concern at your professed ability to place your ********* on your breasts - is that a symptom that affects readers of Subaru weekly?

Kevin

Originally Posted by GC8

Surely itd be an STI8 by your reckoning as the '01 STI, the '7' was a JDM-only model. The 'STI Type UK' wasnt introduced until 2002 IIRC, so thatd be an 'STI8'.....

Itd be less confusing to adopt the naming convention that Subaru use; the last STI revision that they named with a number was the STI6 in 2000. After the 2000 model theyve only referred to STI models by their model year.

Simon
Old 08 March 2005, 09:05 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

I have a my 02 sti uk prodrive and you wont regret getting one,I've had mine a while now and the grin factor just gets better. I have a second car that i was keeping for shopping,work etc.It hasnt been started for six weeks.I had a my00 turbo prior to this and had no problem using the run about when i had it. The sti,I just cant keep myself out of it,If i need to drive then i take it. The down side,I didnt budget for using this much fuel.
Old 08 March 2005, 09:07 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Pretty expensive matey at over 18k, it had 37k miles so wasn't exactly in the first flush of youth. But it did have the PPP kit, the prodrive bodykit and 18" gold prodrive alloys.

Kevin
Originally Posted by ProdriveSTI
What kinda price is this going for? How many miles etc...
Old 08 March 2005, 09:09 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It comes hand in hand with ****-retention Kev!

Simon
Old 08 March 2005, 09:21 PM
sti_ken
Scooby Regular

Still got the grin after lots of miles and wont fade
Old 08 March 2005, 09:25 PM
sti_ken
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by GC8

Simon
sounds like you are talking it
Old 08 March 2005, 09:37 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Simon, we all have our hobby horses! Mike, for joining in with an off-topic comment I suggest you sell me a PPP kit for my car at half price - its only fair for hurting my feeling
Originally Posted by GC8
It comes hand in hand with ****-retention Kev!

Simon
Old 09 March 2005, 12:03 AM
pin777
Scooby Regular

selling my 7month (28th july)04 sti ppp

£22,000

any takers
Old 09 March 2005, 12:16 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti_ken
Im talking bollocks am I? How about the man who agreed with me? Mike Wood works for Prodrive; you know more than him as well do you?

You look like a fool dont you Ken? Perhaps youd be better keeping your stupid remarks to yourself?
Old 09 March 2005, 01:20 AM
Scoobsti
Scooby Regular

£18k seems a bit high - even from a dealer. I thought the second hand prices had fallen much further than that. I tried to sell my MY02 STi Type UK Prodrive Style (is this the correct name ?) a few weeks ago in Autotrader and only managed two stupid offers. Mine hasn't got PPP, but having driven one with it on - I wouldn't pay £2k for it - I also like the rush when the power kicks in, which is smoothed out a bit with PPP.

On mine, the gear change is a bit notchy when cold, but you can swap cogs very easily once it as warmed up.

As for where would you use it - everywhere - you don't have to thrash it about all the time.

Scoobsti
Old 09 March 2005, 09:25 PM
The Incredible Hulk
Scooby Regular

Simon,

Don't you get stroppy on my wrongly titled thread! Anyway, you've educated me, now I just need to wait for someone else to get it wrong

Kevin

Originally Posted by GC8
Im talking bollocks am I? How about the man who agreed with me? Mike Wood works for Prodrive; you know more than him as well do you?

You look like a fool dont you Ken? Perhaps youd be better keeping your stupid remarks to yourself?
Old 09 March 2005, 09:48 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by sti_ken
Sounds like a cheap jibe from someone who wouldn't know the difference.