Sponsored by:

Sorry...newbie questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07 March 2005, 06:51 PM
mclannahan
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry...newbie questions!

Evening! I've just bought a 1994 WRX Impreza Import (from Dave Edmonds...think he used to post here...he told me about the board!) and really happy with it...it's a big change from my Passat....

Anyway...some basic questions I'm afraid, I'd really appreciate some help. My windscreen washers have stopped working. There's no motor/pump noise so I thought fuse....But...which one is it? My Japanese isn't too good! Could it be anything else? (are the pumps prone to fail?)

My radio reception is really really bad. Is this a Subrau feature? Pulling the aerial right out does make a slight difference but in reality I can hardly pick a thing up when moving even with the aerial up...Nothing at all with it down!

And finally....Having read some of the comments about older WRX's I'm a little worried! Have a made a bad purchase? It's had a complete engine rebuild (new bottom end, recon top and some new ancillaries) just last year and only has about 10k on this engine....Might my lovely new car retire early??

What should I do to make him last? I'm using Optimax like Dave told me...what else should I do?

Thanks guys - looking forward to each drive in it!

Michael
Old 07 March 2005, 08:58 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

with regard to the fuel mate i think most classic shape wrx owners use octane boost aswell as optimax,and just because theyre prone to being trouble it doesnt mean yours will be,ive got a mate with a 1999 uk turbo thats got 50k on it, fsh, thats had 2 rebuilds in the last 6mths tho was put down to the maf sensor not bein found to be faulty after the first rebuild.if yours has been rebuilt well and seems to be running ok i wouldnt worry.
Old 07 March 2005, 10:13 PM
mclannahan
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ukdave
with regard to the fuel mate i think most classic shape wrx owners use octane boost aswell as optimax,and just because theyre prone to being trouble it doesnt mean yours will be,ive got a mate with a 1999 uk turbo thats got 50k on it, fsh, thats had 2 rebuilds in the last 6mths tho was put down to the maf sensor not bein found to be faulty after the first rebuild.if yours has been rebuilt well and seems to be running ok i wouldnt worry.
Thanks for that Dave - have been trawling through all the posts tonight and see quite a few are still running older WRX's with much higher miles...does make me feel better!

I might take mine in somewhere for a tune and check...any garages/tuners "daaan south" recommendations?

Cheers

Michael
Just got to sort my little niggles and keep enjoying the driving!
Old 07 March 2005, 10:32 PM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Hi Michael, and the warmest of welcomes to you

"Daaahn saahrff", there are a heap of tuners and fettlers you could visit. If you have a look at the "Dealer and Third Party" section, you should get some pointers.

I'll send you a private message in a few minutes that may help you sort your windscreen washer problem.

Kev
Old 07 March 2005, 11:09 PM
mclannahan
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by cefski
Hi Michael, and the warmest of welcomes to you

"Daaahn saahrff", there are a heap of tuners and fettlers you could visit. If you have a look at the "Dealer and Third Party" section, you should get some pointers.

I'll send you a private message in a few minutes that may help you sort your windscreen washer problem.

Kev
Lovely - Thanks Kev.

Ahh...a recommended in Newbury...result!

Having looked through the old posts I'm tempted to ask the traditional newbie "my sidelights won't turn off" question just to fit in!!

Cheers!

Michael
Old 07 March 2005, 11:22 PM
ukdave
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mclannahan
Thanks for that Dave - have been trawling through all the posts tonight and see quite a few are still running older WRX's with much higher miles...does make me feel better!

I might take mine in somewhere for a tune and check...any garages/tuners "daaan south" recommendations?

Cheers

Michael
Just got to sort my little niggles and keep enjoying the driving!
You could try http://www.powerengineering.co.uk/acatalog/home.htm chances are i`ll be coming down there later on in the year for a remap,never heard a bad word said about em,bought a few bits of them and have always been helpful,if ya ever need any 2nd hand parts these are good(in scotland but they do do mail order) http://www.glenburgie-subaru.co.uk/index.htm
Old 08 March 2005, 12:02 AM
cefski
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Glenburgie for used parts.

For general bits and pieces - try Alyn @ ASPerformance (posts here as stockcar), or James @ RAMsport (look in the Wales section). I've had really good experiences with both, and both do mail order.

Kev