Sponsored by:

02 Sti PPP Import Vs 02 Sti PPP Type UK

Search this Thread

Old 05 March 2005, 09:11 AM
scg
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Sti PPP Import Vs 02 Sti PPP Type UK

Can anyone tell me the difference between an 02 STi PPP Import and an 02 Sti PPP Type UK?

I'm probably going to get an Sti with PPP in the next 3 or 4 weeks and wondered if there's any real difference (as the manufacturers warranty will be almost over anyway on a Type UK).

I know when I've put a reg of a non-Type UK it came out at about 300-400 quid more to insure and required a tracker whereas the UK one didn't (this is before declaring PPP as a mod).

There still both the same bhp though aren't they? Is it just the Insurance companies don't want to have much to do with Imports? I don't suppose there's some Imports that came with PPP as standard is there hence the 300-400 quid premium and tracker requirement?

All very confusing, thoughts most welcome!
Old 05 March 2005, 09:14 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Explain to your insurance co that the car is a parallel import and not a grey import, this may reduce your price to the normal range.
Just tell them that its a uk spec car (probably confuse most of them though lol!)

Tony
Old 05 March 2005, 11:17 AM
Apple
Scooby Regular

A couple of varaitions:

STi Type UK - available originally with or without PPP from dealers, full warranty, Subaru Assist, tracking device, locking wheelnuts and maybe other stuff,

STi parallel import - UK spec imported from EU country, generally PPP not recognised in supplying country but it's possible to have it fitted in UK. Prodrive website now indicated this Warranty is 3 yrs but 2nd & 3rd years probably underwritten by supplying country for that age of vehicle unless you get a 3 year pan-European version which may have been available on later bugeyes AFAIR. Tracking device and locking wheelnuts not included in original purchase. Subaru Assist only effectively valid in country of purchase so probably not worth the paper it's written on elsewhere - it's all done by Mondial Europe for UK and EU but they have tie-ins with importers etc to enforce the territories (can't thhink of another way to put it at the mo)

STi grey import - generally JDM spec - this is the one you are possibly thinking has the PPP already included as Jap versions are more powerful than UK spec and have more toys - they had DCCD-A before us, rear wipers, HID lights etc. Subaru UK dealers won't officially touch these so effectively no warranty (plenty of independent garages that can work on them instead.) Tracking device not included from new. Assist not included (just get AA / RAC / other cover etc).

If you're in Leeds, you could always have a wander out to Castleford for a WYIOC (West Yorks Impreza Owners Club) meet and have a natter / look round at the options. Have a look in the Northern Section for the date of the next one...

Andy
Old 05 March 2005, 01:10 PM
scg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apple

STi grey import ....... Subaru UK dealers won't officially touch these

Hmmm It's in KT Green an authorised Subaru dealer so I guess it must be a parallel import, which I guess I'll have to leave alone if I need to declare PPP on top of the already inflated price!
Originally Posted by Apple
If you're in Leeds, you could always have a wander out to Castleford for a WYIOC (West Yorks Impreza Owners Club) meet and have a natter / look round at the options. Have a look in the Northern Section for the date of the next one...
Sounds like a good idea, and a nice trip out to Cas Vegas!

Cheers for the advice