Sponsored by:

buying a modified scooby?

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2005, 08:59 PM
peachy wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile buying a modified scooby?

there seems to no price difference between modified (not ****ty max power ones) and standard scoobys and the saving on the parts etc is huge! "puff the magic wagon" for example!

but is it worth buying one thats been modified by someone else?
Old 01 March 2005, 09:24 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Dont think I want to go to the expense of buying standard then adding the mods like I've done with my current classic (assuming of course your wanting to mod it in the first place).

No I'll be choosing one with all the toys on it but need to have comprehensive details of where and when its been done.

Know what you mean though mate. I think mine must owe me at least £10k in the bits that I've done but I'll be lucky to see standard market value unless I go to the expense of putting back to standard which would be a shame considering how well the car runs now!
Old 02 March 2005, 09:57 AM
pbee
Scooby Regular

my train of thought is.
if someone has done sensible mods, and had the car remapped by bob pat ect, then they are more likely to take good care of the car. If you plan to modify the car anyway you will save yourself thousands.

The only downside is the same for standard cars as well if they have been thrashed. but for every badly modified thrashed car there is probabaly 10 or 20 thrashed standard cars.

I seem to drive my car more smoothly now than when it was standard, as the standard car is to bloody comprimised to do anything else.
Old 02 March 2005, 10:05 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I look at it this way .....

A car that has been modified has been modified by someone who isn't happy with the car he/she has bought (which has always humoured me!)

They crave for something else ........... so, decide to change the car they have bought into something else - its like buying a BUSH TV and then paying someone else for the SONY parts that make it the TV you should have bought in the FIRST place!! Its now a SONY inside .... but a BUSH outside ...

Do you REALLY want to buy a car off someone so clearly deranged?????

If the mods are to drive faster then ask yourself whether you want a RoyBacer thrashed vehicle ............... most people would say NO!

Also, to modify a car is to personalise it, who wants to buy someone elses personality??

Rear BackBox excepted I, along with 99% of the population, wouldn't touch a modified car!

Stick to standard or buy a car that does what you want it to do in the FIRST place!

Pete
Old 02 March 2005, 10:09 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

If I ever sell mine, I'll be taking off all the (tasteful! ) modifications first and selling them. That way at least I'll make some of the money back and it wont affect the value of the car if people dont know it had the mods in the first place.
Old 02 March 2005, 10:17 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossyboy
If I ever sell mine, I'll be taking off all the (tasteful! ) modifications first and selling them. That way at least I'll make some of the money back and it wont affect the value of the car if people dont know it had the mods in the first place.
You've just told EVERYONE!!

It's interesting that you wish to hide the fact its been modified when you come to sell ................. the word 'MODIFIED' in an advert sends out the wrong message doesn't it?

Pete
Old 02 March 2005, 10:28 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I see what you're saying Pete, and I'm aware that your stance on this hasn't realy changed since day one of this "debate" (I am shocked to see that you recognise the backbox mod )

However, my MY99 UK car has been ever so slightly modded - ScoobySport exhaust, foglight covers, 22B bonnet vents and a Magic Tree "new car" scent

The main reason why I've changed my specification from standard, is purely that Subaru, nor any other manufacturer provide the car I want in the spec stated.

Which kind of leaves me in a strange situation - either pay for any car that as standard, I'm not entirely happy with (which I find is outrageous considering how much these cars cost), or amend/modify the spec to suit my requirements.

The only time peoples' opinion even counts (IMHO) when it comes to selling the car - after all it has to be of saleable worth. Which is why I've kept the orginal parts, although my next car, (a) may not be a Subaru or (b) may be a newer model, so the parts are worthless. Yes, I can sell them seperately, but I'm not entirely sure I could be bothered! And I would mod my next car, if need be.

Bearing that in mind, where do you draw the line at modification? Why do the manufacturers sell upgrades (eg. PPP and the rest of the STI bolt-ons)?

Not being argumentative, but there is a HUGE market for mods - but it really is each to their own.

With reference to the poster - the key thing with a modded car is warrantee, and how much you value it. There is a school of thought that half the fun of modding, is doing it yourself, but if you're not a greasemonkey, this may not be a viable route, so go the pre-modded route.

The choice is entirely yours

Dan

Trending Topics

Old 02 March 2005, 10:33 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Dan ....... you ask .... ""Bearing that in mind, where do you draw the line at modification? Why do the manufacturers sell upgrades (eg. PPP and the rest of the STI bolt-ons)?""

Thats not too difficult a question to answer is it - you KNOW the answer already - because some mugs will pay good money for them!! (it has NOTHING to do with any imagined improvements!)

Your Magic-Tree scent might well put a buyer off ...... so many people just leave them in the car and end up losing many £££££'s

Pete
Old 02 March 2005, 10:42 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Taking your comments on board, I was always under the impression that eg, PPP was classed as an essential upgrade to the STI, making it the car Subaru meant it to be in the first place. Hence the reason for PPP being available for every model year.
It also does have some financial clout too - PPP (in particular) does command a higher price in the used market.
This isn't just Subaru - Mini/BMW do the same with the Cooper Chilli pack (try selling a Mini without it - look at Autotrader for examples).

With reference to my Magic Tree - I concede to a greater knowledge. Would the Vanilla scent serve me any better?

Perhaps WRSport could do a Rally Magic Tree that scented of engine oil!

Dan

Last edited by ScoobyDoo555; 02 March 2005 at 10:43 AM. Reason: edited to include model year