Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I get Silkolene Pro S 10W/50

Search this Thread

Old 29 August 2000, 12:51 AM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this much better than Silkolene 5w-40w? - I am using too thin an oil?
Old 29 August 2000, 01:03 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Question

In the West London area - I'm hoping that some chain shops would do it, rather than having to go to a garage, but local garages would still help.

Thanks
Old 29 August 2000, 09:03 AM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Scoobysport
Old 29 August 2000, 01:46 PM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Jake
Thanks, although I'm trying to get some today, and East London is too far. Does anyone know a retailer in West London?

Steve
Slightly thicker oils are popular for Turbo scoobs, particularly if you're driving hard. Like Mobil 1 Motorsport (15/50) is chosen over 0/40 by scooby drivers. I haven't used the silkolene 5/40, but I'd prefer to stick with 10/50.

Old 29 August 2000, 02:01 PM
gregh
Scooby Regular

Be very careful with oil and your warranty, this is what was posted earlier:

This information has been received from Mobil.

Mobil 1 0W-40
Subaru Japan have stated that all oils with a 0W rating will invalidate engine warranty. This is because 0W viscosity has not been tested by Fuji Heavy Industries and is unlikely to be tested by them in the near future. It is not a result of engine problems and is not related to synthetic technology or oil quality. This oil which operates at temperatures as low as minus 54 degrees exceeds the quality level required of Subaru vehicles. This oil was used by customers for 2 years in Subaru engines without any claims for engine failure before the Warranty Bulletin was produced regarding OW oils.
Mobil recommend Mobil 1 0W-40 for vehicles outside warranty.

Mobil 1 15W-50

Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W-50 uses the same synthetic technology which results in fast flow rates and reduced friction. It is designed for ardous race and rally use at the highest temperatures where a thicker more stable oil is required. Again this lubricant has not been tested by Fuji Heavy Industries so they cannot give approval.
Mobil recommend 15W-50 for use outside of the warranty.

Mobil 1 5W-40

Using the same technology as Mobil 1 0W-40, MOBIL HAS MADE MOBIL 1 5W-40 EXCLUSIVELY AVAILABLE TO SUBARU DEALERS.
This product fulfils the viscosity requirements of Subaru for use in all of their model range. Mobil 1 5W-40 makes available the same benefits achieved by Mobil 1 without the extreme low temperature capability and ulta quick circulation offered by the 0W rated product. Mobil 1 5W-40 will be available exclusively to Subaru dealers for routine servicing. For interim lubricant top-up, we advise customers to either return to dealer for top-up or use Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W-50 for DIY top-up. While Motorosport is 15W-50m, the viscosity will have negligible effect on the sump viscosity and the lubricants are totally compatible.

Semi-synthetics 10W-40

Mobil Super S 10W-40 and Duchams QXR 10W-40 have been accepted for use during the warranty period and whilst not delivering the optimum performance of fully synthetic engine oil, they still exceed the performance requirements necessary to meet the Subaru warranty.

Summary

During the warranty period and in order to adhere to the viscosity requirements of the Subaru warranty, Mobil recommend the use of Mobil 1 5W-40, Mobil Super S 10W-40 or Duckhams QXR 10W-40. Out of warranty, Mobil recommend Mobil 1 OW-40 or Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W-50"
My thoughts
It appears that the dealer CAN use MOBIL 1 oil, the 5W-40. However this is not available to the general public but only to SUBARU dealers. The other MOBIL 1 products will invalidate your warranty, the 0W-40 and 15W-50 types. However using Mobil Super S 10W-40 is okay for your warranty but MOBIL recommend the best oil to use outside your warranty is Mobil 1 0w-40 or Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W-50. So for the people who have wrote and said that their dealer uses MOBIL 1, then it is almost certain to be this exclusive 5W-40 rated oil which we cannot buy. At least the above should clear up everything regarding the use of MOBIL 1. The above is the official statement by MOBIL, it looks like to me that the Mobil 1 Motorsport is a good oil and is probably the best oil but if we put it in our engines we know that SUBARU will not honour the warranty.

Old 29 August 2000, 03:29 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

so it looks as though Silkolene 5w-40w is ok and is readily available
Old 29 August 2000, 05:45 PM
Jake
Scooby Regular

Talking

I think its Silkolene Pro S 10W/50 thats the best for the scoob thats what I run in my MY00 and the dealer was more than happy with it.

Jake