Thank you to Dick and Yvette Grimes

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2000, 12:00 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Just like to add my vote of thanks.

I'll print this out and hand it over on the 28th..this is when Dick/Yvette will be "handing over" to Lisa who is the new membership secretary.

Driving course was very good indeed. It will be difficult to find a worthy replacement.
Old 22 August 2000, 12:09 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Who is Lisa?

Don't mean to be rude but should the members of the club not get a chance to vote for the new person?
Old 22 August 2000, 12:13 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

That's not the way it works unless someone wants to call an EGM. If any committee members resign during the year, the committee can 'co-opt' other people onto the committee, who will then stand for election next year when you'll have the right to reject them. At least that's the way it works with most organizations.
Old 22 August 2000, 12:21 AM
JAMES BUSHELL
Scooby Regular

Question

Will the driving courses still be running?

I have booked for October.....

James
Old 22 August 2000, 12:23 AM
Eric Chadwick
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Yes, I too would like to thank Dick and Yvette for their hard work. I think the driving course especially was probably the main reason a lot of people joined the SIDC.

I hope Dick does not feel that he isn't appreciated because I'm sure everyone that has been on his course and met him would say that he is a vital part of the SIDC and it will sorely miss him and his wife if they leave.

Amended:
Having found further info (why no full official statement on both bbs?) it seems that Dick has resigned from his post for computer literacy reasons only and the problems with the driving course are due to new management at plod hq

This BBS is a terrible rumour mill but if the SIDC committee had made a full statement here there would have been nothing to say. So much for pro IT and quick access to information

Eric.

[This message has been edited by Eric Chadwick (edited 22 August 2000).]
Old 22 August 2000, 12:41 AM
RobMac
Scooby Regular

Question

Whilst wishing to add to the above sentiments in full, isn't this the wrong place to be doing this??

The whole point of Dick's resignation from the club was because of IT and anything connected with it.

Whilst I applaud the attempts made here to thank Dick and Yvette for their tireless effort for the club, do you REALLY think that they will read them? I think not...

Far better you all WRITE (remember that?) to them at the 'old' club address where they are sure of reading the sentiments.

I am in agreement with the club being a little more IT based, but I also agree with Dick's views that the club MUST be careful not to alienate certain members just because they do not yet have internet access.

Rob.
Old 22 August 2000, 12:52 AM
Yex
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'd like to pass on my thanks to Dick for his driving course, it helped me understand things that I'd never thought of before I attended. The afternoon on the skid pan was a complete hoot, as well as being a great learning tool. I'm sure I speak for others as well with thanks to Yvette for her work as club secretary, and the effort she has put in to organising events for us members.

Yex
Old 22 August 2000, 11:35 AM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

As many of you know, Dick and Yvette Grimes have resigned from their respective roles in the SIDC. Dick's contribution in the way of the driving courses and their joint administration contribution will be sorely missed I'm sure.

I would like to personally thank Dick for the driving course, improving mine and my wife's driving skills and awareness.

I hope that all those who have been on the driving course could add a line to this thread showing their appreciation one more time - this sort of course is not available anywhere else for free. Perhaps, after a few days, this message could be printed off by somebody local to them and dropped in.
Old 22 August 2000, 11:54 AM
StevieG
Scooby Regular

Cool

I would also add my name to the list of grateful persons. I attended the course last
October and thought it to be most informative. Should be useful when I pick my new scooby up this Saturday......

Regards,
Steve
Old 22 August 2000, 11:56 AM
Julian Rowland
Scooby Regular

I would like to say thanks for the course and Dick's patience on the skid pan. The black rat sticker has already saved me once.

Thanks again

Julian
Old 22 August 2000, 01:12 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

True Grip readers will already know how impressed I was with Dick's driving course but this is a good opportunity to thank Dick once again.
Apart from his driving instruction and membership duties, Dick also gave me some good direction on a few technical issues and pointed me at other times to members who had already achieved what I was trying to do with my car; truely a good club contributor allround.
It would be nice if Dick could maintain some links with the club if for no other reason than to stay in touch with the friends he's made and continue to pass his experience with the Impreza marque.

Neil.
Old 22 August 2000, 01:39 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

I agree that writing is far more sincere than e-mail but I thought it was more sensible to collate the thanks of those who could spare a minute to say thank you and keep this thread clear of politics.

I never expected Dick to read this on-line, but I hinted that somebody local could print it and give it to him in person, and Lee has taken this up.

Dave

Old 22 August 2000, 01:45 PM
Peter L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Can someone clarify that there will be no more SIDC driving courses run by Dick?

I am booked on the late October/early November one and would like to attend so that I can sing his praises as well!

Peter
Old 22 August 2000, 04:38 PM
Spikey
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Im also booked onto the late October early November course. As yet I have not received any notification that this course has now been cancelled.......can someone please let me know.
Old 22 August 2000, 11:37 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

One more heartfelt thanks for Dick.

How he put up with my Rudolph Nureyev On Acid on the skidpan, I'll never understand. But I really feel that he improved my driving; not necessarily the skidding bit, but the mental attitude, which comes into play so much more often.

Cheers mate, thanks for your time and patience

BJH
Old 23 August 2000, 06:01 AM
Hos
Scooby Regular

One idea- You are saying you have a problem with this kind of thing be written on the bbs or web? why doesn't 1 person just print off the thread for the bbs and send it into club hq , that way it saves alot of energy and time, and can be sorted out all at once? It would probably save alot of reading time too.
Ian
Old 23 August 2000, 08:58 AM
Richard Simpson
Scooby Regular

Everyone that is in the Club has benefited from the wisdom of Mr Grimes - either directly and indirectly.

The driving course was excellent and (IMHO) the SIDC will be much weaker without it.

Many thanks to Dick and Yvette, without whom the SIDC would not have become as successful as it is now.

Richard Simpson
Old 23 August 2000, 11:20 PM
Maf
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I am another one who would like to add his thanks to Dick for a very enjoyable time on the course.

The SIDC is poorer for his leaving.

I hope I can make time to write him a letter as well as this short thank-you.

Maf
Old 24 August 2000, 05:19 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

There was an official anouncement on this bbs and 22B.com when Dick resigned.

Although the AGM asked us to instigate e-mail communication for those that wanted it (and only those that wanted to receive info this way), Dick refused to take this initiative forward. The Committee have been in favour of this for 2 years, but have have gone along with Dick's lone voice of dissent. With a clear mandate from the AGM, this could not continue and as Club Chairman I would not allow the members' wishes to be ignored.

As a result, Dick has resigned not only his Committee posts, but also his membership. I asked Dick to consider remaining on the Committee as Driver Training Officer, but he declined. Both myself and Graham Cowland have spent much time on the phone to Dick, to try and convince him of the benefits of e-mailing information, but to no avail. Dick's defense is that 42% of the joining forms do not have an e-mail address on them. Many of these are 3 or 4 years old. I'm sure everyone is aware of how electronic communication has proliferated in the past 12-24 months. The benefits in simplification of informing members of local and nation events, and the cost savings from using e-mail, cannot now be ignored.

With regard to driving courses, Dick has made it clear that their future was in doubt already, due to management changes at Essex Police Driving School. He also said that the One to One courses he anounced at the AGM were also now doubtful.

Dick cited his resignation as being due to the "undemocratic" way in which this new way forward is being implemented but the only voice of dissent was Dick's.

We will sorely miss his contribution to the club, and Yvette's hard work, but the Club should not be dependant on any one individual. Lisa Christie has accepted the role of Membership Secretary, Lee Christie has accepted the role of IT Secretary (a post we have had for 4 years but one that Dick did not feel we needed this year) and Graham Cowland is now Club Secretary, with responsibility for Social Events. Stef Reader has accepted the role of Motorsport Secretary and will be co-ordinating track days and karting events etc.

We are making enquiries with all of the UK's regional Police Forces and also ARDS to re-establish the club's driver training programme. With some luck and a lot of hard work we should shortly be able to announce a National network of driver training courses.

Whilst Dick's presence will be missed, we have lost many good Committee members over the years because of internal disputes and intrancigence. I feel that the 2000/2001 Committee is the best and strongest in the SIDC's history and the club will be able to offer far benefits of membership than ever before.

Pete Croney
SIDC Chairman
Old 25 August 2000, 09:54 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

here here
Old 25 August 2000, 08:07 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Pete for posting that reply. I couldn't agree more. It is sad that Dick should feel this way and leave the club in this manner, however, the whole point of having voting members is that the majority rules and the Club must move forward and evolve or die altogther, which would be a great shame.

Every member of the club is aware of the contribution that Dick and Yvette have made and they will be missed - thank you for your efforts.

Chris
Old 26 August 2000, 11:19 PM
APJ
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nicely said, Pete.