Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"bad fuel"

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 2000, 08:30 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The misfire on my P1 has been put down to bad fuel, as everything appears to be normal.

I would be interested to hear anyone's experiences of a dodgy fill up !!

Thanks

Russell
Old 25 August 2000, 09:55 PM
sasim
Used to work here!!

This may be a bit premature, but my MY91 Landcruiser started acting up yesterday, dealer reckons that it could be bad Diesel, then again it could be a knacked fuel pump, or solar flares, or the dilithium crystals, flux capacitor............

SS

Old 25 August 2000, 10:03 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I've had a bad fill up before. Was on way to powerstation and everything was hunky-dory. Stopped and filled up with SUL at a motorway service put in 55 litres (phew that was close) and off I went. 20ish miles later and the car started to feel crappy. The 'urge' on boost was definitely lacking. Put it on the rollers and sure enough it was only pushing .85ish bar of boost and power was way down, guys at PS figured bad fuel, ECU had retarded things to compensate.
Ran the tank dry again, driving delicately as I knew then that I had poison petrol, and refilled with my trusty Esso. Another 20ish miles and things were perking up nicely.
I made up my mind then (but still haven't acted on it) to fit a boost gauge so I could monitor things more closly.
Strange to get a ful blown misfire though. IMHO I'd run a P1 on SUL and octane booster. Mine is a IM 'official' STI import, and the thing just doesn't like 97RON, despite the fact that I'm told it should be fine, have Broquet etc.
Cheers,
Chuck
Old 26 August 2000, 09:49 AM
rogermcb
Scooby Regular

Question

280 bhp scoobys (UK sourced official `greys' or full blown imports) don't run on 97 RON SUL without long term problems, I speak from experience. Quality fuel, Octane booster and broquets are the advised soulutions. I've tried the firt two, but not the latter. Any experience out there of broquets (sourcing, costs, fitting, running etc)?

Cheers

Roger (White Type RA)
Old 26 August 2000, 11:29 AM
subverbal
Scooby Regular

Hi Russell,

I've noticed some discrepancies in SUL quality - mainly by keeping an eye on my Knock Link sensor after fill-ups. Had to use a Texaco garage recently and the Knock sensor picked up a lot more noise than usual.

The Knock sensor may be especially usefull to P1 owners such as yourself as you can monitor the engine and get advanced warning of problems. Not much expense for peace of mind !

Neil - green MY96 with P1 front seats !!
Old 26 August 2000, 01:37 PM
Greg Jones
Scooby Regular

Question

I wish that there was some conclusive evidence that the broquet system works.

Any petrochemists (?) or fuel experts with some (new) input?

Greg
Old 26 August 2000, 06:18 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

For Roger re Broquet questions.
We supply Broquet. List price is £147.70 all inclusive which is for 2 number 8-pellet units to go into tank. However we give a 20% discount for Scoobynet contributors which brings price down to £118.46. Fitting is via sender unit access into tank and there are links to fitting instructions provided by Scooby owners who have fitted Broquet. Unlike additives Broquet is a one-off which will never need replacing.

For Greg.
There is plenty of evidence that Broquet works but I don't want to abuse this board with too much spiel. However you will find in a search some very positive comments about Broquet from Scooby owners. You are always welcome to give me a ring on 01403 823507. I am out all weekend at the Rudgwick Steam Show (worth it for any Sussex/Surrey guys and gals) but back at the grindstone on Tuesday. See also
Old 26 August 2000, 08:05 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know for sure if the Broquet has or has not been fitted to the P1. A posting by Prodrive the other day said the bench dyno figures were produced using the specified fuel i.e. 97 RON, not mention of a broquet. Perhaps Simon or Mike from Prodrive could confirm one way or the other.