ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

what subaru to get?

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2005, 03:19 PM
el_pluff
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up what subaru to get?

Im 21, but live in the lowest grade crime zone and fancy a subaru once i get my 3rd year no claims, what do you reccomend? are the bugeye wrx cars slow as i get insurance for £85 a month for them, but get insured on anything else for about £120 a month including bug eye stis, i really like the white one thats for sale in autotrader but i doubt i can afford it, i drive a civic vti at the moment, i want something fast and reliable, which subaru would you reccomend? ps what are the performance figures for a bugeye wrx?

much appreciated!

Last edited by el_pluff; 22 February 2005 at 03:26 PM.
Old 22 February 2005, 03:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

IIRC the bugeye WRX in standard trim was 0-62 in 5.9s, with the STi dropping it to 5.4. The PPP (Prodrive Performance Pack) can make that 5.2 and 4.9 respectively. If you can stretch to the newer shape blobeyes then they are a tad quicker, especially with the improved PPP (4.8 & 4.6). Top speeds are all between 145 and 155mph. TBH, on the road you'll be hard pressed to tell much difference in the performance, more the handling as the STi has better suspension, diffs and steering. My 03 WRX PPP certainly holds its own against several of my friends in their STi and STi PPP's (except one ) but it is harder work due to the handling deficit. The advise I always give is if you can't decide between WRX and STi, get the STi. Unless you do lots of m-way miles or want comfort at the expense of outright handling and performance. I certainly wish I'd held on and got an STi now

I'm guessing your budget is around £10-12k, so decent bugeye STi's may be out of your bracket as they still command £15k+ with blobeye STi's at £17k+. WRX start at £10k rising to £13ish for early blobs, but bare in mind that you can get brand new WRX's for £16k and STi's for £21k from importers.

Get to the dealers and blag yourself a couple of test drives. Only you know what you want from a car.
Old 22 February 2005, 05:44 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by corradoboy

I'm guessing your budget is around £10-12k, so decent bugeye STi's may be out of your bracket as they still command £15k+ with blobeye STi's at £17k+. WRX start at £10k rising to £13ish for early blobs, but bare in mind that you can get brand new WRX's for £16k and STi's for £21k from importers.

Get to the dealers and blag yourself a couple of test drives. Only you know what you want from a car.
Do bear in mind the costs of running these cars though, don't wipe out all your funds with the insurance, as you'll need quite a bit of dough to keep it on the road. Failure to run and service these cars properly can mean saying goodbye to anything up to 4.4k for an engine re-build.
Old 22 February 2005, 05:59 PM
Livewire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by el_pluff
Im 21, but live in the lowest grade crime zone and fancy a subaru once i get my 3rd year no claims, what do you reccomend? are the bugeye wrx cars slow as i get insurance for £85 a month for them, but get insured on anything else for about £120 a month including bug eye stis, i really like the white one thats for sale in autotrader but i doubt i can afford it, i drive a civic vti at the moment, i want something fast and reliable, which subaru would you reccomend? ps what are the performance figures for a bugeye wrx?

much appreciated!

Think long and hard about it, weigh up the pros and cons then when you have come to your senses

go down your local Mitsubishi garage and buy an Evo.
Old 22 February 2005, 06:17 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

freak
Old 22 February 2005, 07:42 PM
tuscan57
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Livewire
Think long and hard about it, weigh up the pros and cons then when you have come to your senses

go down your local Mitsubishi garage and buy an Evo.
to see how stupid you would be..... servicing on the mitsi is TOO close
Old 22 February 2005, 07:54 PM
Livewire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tuscan57
to see how stupid you would be..... servicing on the mitsi is TOO close
Your right, the servicing is way too close But well worth it !!!

Have you got your spec c yet ??
Old 22 February 2005, 08:04 PM
G_Sleigh_STi
Scooby Regular

I will say mate..

I am 21 and just bought my self an 04 WRX STi with 8000k on the clock. I pick it up friday and i cant wait.

Depends how important the power is to you, i own a car parts company and motor cars are my biggest passion. So the more power i could get hold of the better

I would say go for teh STi