ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

EU Import early service schedules

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2005, 03:02 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EU Import early service schedules

MY05 WRX EU Import via Alliance so origin was Cyprus.

Had it's 1k service now on 2.95k and my Cypriat service book has a spot for a 5km/3k mile service, the Impreza manual also lists a 5km/3k mile service but there is no 'required work' underneath it... i.e. on all the other services it says what must be done underneath the relevant mileage... Replace oil check this, check that etc... but under the 3k one theres nothing nor is there under the 1k one for that matter...

can anyone shed some light... does my car require this service?

Paul
Old 21 February 2005, 04:14 PM
UKScoobGS
Scooby Regular

Default SERVICE

No is the answer.
Follow UK service shedule every 10K, this info was from IM as i phoned them.

Gordy.
Old 21 February 2005, 04:29 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UKScoobGS
No is the answer.

Gordy.
Thanks Gordy

Paul
Old 21 February 2005, 04:47 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by UKScoobGS
No is the answer.

Gordy.
Hmmm... now I'm confused...

Just spoke to IM (chasing my warranty being put on thier system) and asked the chap in warranties about the 3k service.

He said that if it was in the book then it needed to be carried out as... in the event of a claim... the first thing the Cypriat supplier will ask is... are all the spaces stamped, if they're not they will reject any claim!!!!!! I pointed out that it doesn't say what needs doing under the 3k service and he said he didn't know about that but it still needed doing!

????????????????????????

If I need to do this it needs to be tomorrow!!!!

Paul
Old 21 February 2005, 05:42 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

IM told me to follow the service book to the letter; otherwise I would not be covered.

This was not exchangeable for a UK book and mine is written in Dutch.

Other than that you should not have a problem, as long as you comply with the schedule.

Easy.

Ajax, Paul
Old 21 February 2005, 05:43 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Bottom Line with EU Imports
Register with IM use this letter
Subaru Warranty Administration,
Subaru UK
Ryder Street,
West Bromwich,
West Midlands
B70 0EJ

Dear Sir/ Madam

New Impreza WRX Registration xxxxx xxx (xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)

I note that you ask for the original sales invoice from the country of origin. I bought the car new in the UK in Pounds Stlg and I enclose

1. Copy of the original sales receipt.
2. Copy of the service manual indicating the PDI was carried out in an EU Member state, presumably where it was shipped to from the manufacturer.

3. Copy of the EU certificate of conformity validating the VIN.
4. Copy sales invoice from the supplier in Holland to Supplier in the UK

If there is any additional information you require please do not hesitate to contact me.

The service schedule is printed in the Service and Warranty booklet I trust that this is the one to follow:
5000km (3,105) miles) 3 months
15,000km (9,315 miles) 12months
30,000km (18,630 miles) 24 months etc

Please can you inform me that my Warranty is registered and will be valid in the UK?

Thank you for your kind help

Yours sincerely

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++

UK Service Garage
Don’t do any other servicing as it could be held against you, and anyway it’s not necessary as IM know what they are doing with service schedules.
Old 21 February 2005, 07:55 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

If you read the service/warranty book it covers several models of Impreza and different countries, hence the extra blank service squares. Also, IF you read the service/warranty book, at the top of the stamp page it say's quote: USE SERVICE SCHEDULE OUTLINED IN THE DRIVERS/OWNERS HANDBOOK (ie for Europe). This, as already stated is the same as UK/IM schedule (1k then every 10k).

I'm sorry if I sound a bit @rsy, but this has been covered so many times..!

Jason
Old 21 February 2005, 10:47 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
If you read the service/warranty book it covers several models of Impreza and different countries, hence the extra blank service squares. Also, IF you read the service/warranty book, at the top of the stamp page it say's quote: USE SERVICE SCHEDULE OUTLINED IN THE DRIVERS/OWNERS HANDBOOK (ie for Europe). This, as already stated is the same as UK/IM schedule (1k then every 10k).

I'm sorry if I sound a bit @rsy, but this has been covered so many times..!

Jason
Jason... sorry matey but the 1k and 3k intervals are also shown in the handbook.... it then goes on to say that different countries may require different schedules. There are 2 sections in the handbook.... Europe and other. the 3k interval is under the Europe section.

IM tell me that the 3k service needs to be done for it to stay in warranty so that's what I'm gonna do. Any authority for work needs to be obtained from the country of origin so that country's service schedule needs to be maintained. The problem is that the service book doesen't say what needs doing at the 3k interval as it does with all others which I find a little bizzare.

Also the service schedule is not the same as UK/IM it is slightly different to UK in that it is 1,3,9,19,28,38,47..... IM have confirmed that it is this schedule that must be adhered to.

Paul
Old 21 February 2005, 11:29 PM
Ajax
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vipa
Jason... sorry matey but the 1k and 3k intervals are also shown in the handbook.... it then goes on to say that different countries may require different schedules. There are 2 sections in the handbook.... Europe and other. the 3k interval is under the Europe section.

IM tell me that the 3k service needs to be done for it to stay in warranty so that's what I'm gonna do. Any authority for work needs to be obtained from the country of origin so that country's service schedule needs to be maintained. The problem is that the service book doesen't say what needs doing at the 3k interval as it does with all others which I find a little bizzare.

Also the service schedule is not the same as UK/IM it is slightly different to UK in that it is 1,3,9,19,28,38,47..... IM have confirmed that it is this schedule that must be adhered to.

Paul
Vipa is right

It’s your car and the service book belongs with it, don’t deviate from its schedule.

This is not difficult or contentious, get the stamps put in the right place and at the times specified in the book.

Don’t make it up and do your own thing, that’s plain stupid

By the way, some of the schedules say 3,000 for the first service, as mine did.

Oil is thinner, engines are made to high tolerances, the 1000 mile service is really a stupid hang over form the past and not necessary as you might believe.

Ajax, Paul
Old 22 February 2005, 12:41 AM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ajax
Vipa is right

It’s your car and the service book belongs with it, don’t deviate from its schedule.

This is not difficult or contentious, get the stamps put in the right place and at the times specified in the book.

Don’t make it up and do your own thing, that’s plain stupid

By the way, some of the schedules say 3,000 for the first service, as mine did.

Oil is thinner, engines are made to high tolerances, the 1000 mile service is really a stupid hang over form the past and not necessary as you might believe.

Ajax, Paul
Cheers Paul

Paul
Old 22 February 2005, 12:31 PM
Ponce
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

Hmmm..... I bought my import from Virgin last month and after reading this thread I think I need to give them a call.

I have an owner's handbook but seems like I should have a separate warranty/service book. Is this correct?

I also have no idea what country my car has come from - I guess I need to know this as well?

After much searching I finally worked out what the much mentioned IM stands for - so now I apparently have to make sure with them that they know about the car and warranty?

After all my dealings with Virgin so far I just know that they're not gonna have sorted out any of this or know what I'm talking about when I call them or return my call or give a toss at all. They are feckin useless!
Old 22 February 2005, 12:57 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ponce
Hmmm..... I bought my import from Virgin last month and after reading this thread I think I need to give them a call.

I have an owner's handbook but seems like I should have a separate warranty/service book. Is this correct?

I also have no idea what country my car has come from - I guess I need to know this as well?

After much searching I finally worked out what the much mentioned IM stands for - so now I apparently have to make sure with them that they know about the car and warranty?

After all my dealings with Virgin so far I just know that they're not gonna have sorted out any of this or know what I'm talking about when I call them or return my call or give a toss at all. They are feckin useless!
Rings a bell........

You will find that your car was PROBABLY supplied to Virgin by Alliance and will be of Cypriat origin.

Yes you should have a separate service/warranty booklet.

paul
Old 22 February 2005, 01:00 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Vipa, you beat me to posting the above

Richard
Old 22 February 2005, 02:50 PM
Ponce
Scooby Newbie

Thanks fellas.

I would've cancelled after hearing your story Paul but for some reason I got 2k more for my trade-in that it was worth so it would've been a touch expensive to cancel.

I've just emailed them a few questions. With any luck whoever answers email may not be quite as clueless/apathetic as the phone monkeys.
Old 22 February 2005, 03:02 PM
UKScoobGS
Scooby Regular

Default And again

Got this from Liaco ltd(Subaru Malta), i asked about service as i to bought mine from motorpoint. Looks like you can stick to the UK schedule.
See below

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxx,

In order to maintain a valid warranty you must follow the guidelines set in our Warranty & Service booklet. You will notice that the booklet indicates shorter service intervals because it takes into account the Maltese geographic region & climate with typical short trips, which is why the booklet suggests earlier service intervals.

However it is worth noting that only the grey shaded slots are mandatory (IE: Service 1,3,5,7 etc..), whereas the NON-Shaded are only optional depending on the car usage (E.g.: If you use your car under severe conditions). Under normal driving and road conditions in the UK you will be just fine to service the car at least every year or every 9,500/10,000 miles which ever occurs first.

Hope the above answers your questions, should we be of any further assistance please contact us again.
May we take this opportunity to wish you many years of enjoyable trouble-free motoring with your new car.

Best Regards,
AfterSales Department

Liaco Limited
Lia Building, Mosta Road, Lija BZN09 MALTA
TEL: (+356) 2141 8111
FAX: (+356) 2141 8589 Or E-FAX (+356) 2143 2116
www.liaco.com.mt
Old 27 February 2005, 04:07 PM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Firstly the drivers manual in my EU (Cyprus) car is exactly the same as the ones I've seen in several UK cars (ie same service schedual). Can someone with a UK car confirm this..? Therefore, how come UK cars don't require this 3000 mile service. As for IM saying it's necessary, they would do given we are talking about a car bought from their competitors.

Secondly, what is it that's required at this service..? As already said there is no indication, unlike the other intervals, of what needs replacing or inspecting..? If it's just a stamp that's required I'll be getting my 4yr old's post office kit out and making my own..!

Seriously though, I've spoken to many people at Subaru (including N C Kattamis, Cyprus) about this and, my car anyhow, is on the same service intervals as all the cars in Europe, including UK, which is largly accepted as 10,000 miles(15,000km)/12 months. Unless of course you take into accout severe driving conditions, but that applies to ALL cars.

The slight difference in the milage of the other intervals (ie 9, 19, 28, 38miles) is beyond me as in kilometer's it stays consistant at 15,000 km intervals.

Don't get me wrong on this, I will be changing the oil to fully sythetic at 6k (currently semi from 1k dealer service), but as far as I'm conserned it will be dealer serviced at 10,000 miles/12months. Only time will tell if I'm wrong.

Jason

PS Vipa, let me know about your ice install.
Old 27 February 2005, 10:01 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jasonius
Firstly the drivers manual in my EU (Cyprus) car is exactly the same as the ones I've seen in several UK cars (ie same service schedual). Can someone with a UK car confirm this..? Therefore, how come UK cars don't require this 3000 mile service. As for IM saying it's necessary, they would do given we are talking about a car bought from their competitors.

Secondly, what is it that's required at this service..? As already said there is no indication, unlike the other intervals, of what needs replacing or inspecting..? If it's just a stamp that's required I'll be getting my 4yr old's post office kit out and making my own..!

Seriously though, I've spoken to many people at Subaru (including N C Kattamis, Cyprus) about this and, my car anyhow, is on the same service intervals as all the cars in Europe, including UK, which is largly accepted as 10,000 miles(15,000km)/12 months. Unless of course you take into accout severe driving conditions, but that applies to ALL cars.

The slight difference in the milage of the other intervals (ie 9, 19, 28, 38miles) is beyond me as in kilometer's it stays consistant at 15,000 km intervals.

Don't get me wrong on this, I will be changing the oil to fully sythetic at 6k (currently semi from 1k dealer service), but as far as I'm conserned it will be dealer serviced at 10,000 miles/12months. Only time will tell if I'm wrong.

Jason

PS Vipa, let me know about your ice install.
Jason... what do you want to know?

BTW... I got my local dealer to do an oil and filter change at 3k and he stamped my service book for me... better safe than sorry and lets face it an oil change isn't gonna hurt her!!! The service manager couldn't work out what needed doing either and was gonna stamp the book and write no work necessary under it, I didn't fancy that so went for the oil change.

The kilometer thing is because you are technically still getting it serviced in KM intervals.. If you do the conversion to miles yourself you will notice that it's not a constant difference i.e 15km = something like 9,100 miles and 30km = 18,200 etc.. all the Subaru book does is rounds it to the nearest 1,000 hence the anomoly.

6,000 seems a little soon to be going fully synth Jason you may do more harm than good so early on! I'm waiting till 15k then going onto Silkolene Fully Synth (dealer will use semi at 9/10k service then I will do additional change at 15 then supply all oil for dealer services thereafter and perform an interim oil change each time)

Paul
Old 27 February 2005, 10:24 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

In my service book (Dutch 2003 EU import) the 3k service is only for the Legacy H6 engine.

Just because Cyprus is now in the EU that soen't mean that cars from there are have UK conformity. They are built for the Cyprus/Malta market and if they don't have a Certificate of Conformity they are not UK parallel imports.
Old 28 February 2005, 11:05 AM
jasonius
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryCat
In my service book (Dutch 2003 EU import) the 3k service is only for the Legacy H6 engine.

Just because Cyprus is now in the EU that soen't mean that cars from there are have UK conformity. They are built for the Cyprus/Malta market and if they don't have a Certificate of Conformity they are not UK parallel imports.
It would appear that most of the EU imports are now coming via Cyprus/Malta and they all seem to have CoC,s and therefore UK parallel. I don't think Iain Litchfield would be selling them if not.

Jason
Old 28 February 2005, 12:17 PM
Vipa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GaryCat

Mine came with CoC and is from Cyprus.

Paul
Old 28 February 2005, 07:12 PM
GaryCat
Scooby Regular

It would appear that most of the EU imports are now coming via Cyprus/Malta and they all seem to have CoC,s and therefore UK parallel.
Ok, all is cool then, the situation must have changed from when I was buying 18 months ago.
Old 14 April 2005, 10:16 AM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Default Subaru Cyprus

Have spent the week faxing Cyprus regarding the service intervals/warranty etc.

My 1st fax said:

I have recently purchased the above car from Alliance Car Imports here in the UK, and have received a service and warranty booklet from yourselves for the car.

As the car is based in the UK, I would be grateful if you could confirm the maintenance schedule that should be followed in order for my warranty with yourselves to remain valid.

The owner’s manual supplied with the car shows no work is required at 1600km (1000 miles) or at 5000km (3000 miles) as attached. The first service that has items marked in it is the 12 month or 15000km (9000 mile) service and then at 12 month/15000km intervals.

UK supplied cars from Subaru UK have a first service at 1000 miles and then at 12 months or 10000 mile intervals.

Please can you confirm either by return fax or e-mail to the address below the maintenance schedule that you require me to follow in order for my 3 year warranty with yourselves for the car to be valid.

First reply states:

"Our service requirement are based on the directions of Fuji Heavy Industries, manufacturer of SUBARU vehicles. The warranty with all cars sold in Cyprus requires that the customer complies with these requirements.

Thus in order for your warranty to be valid you must comply with the requirements in your service and warranty booklet, irrespective of regulations in the UK."

I then asked:

I am happy to follow the requirements in my service and warranty booklet in order for my warranty with yourselves to remain valid.

Please can you confirm either by fax or e-mail what (if any) work is to be carried out at the 1600KM and 5000KM services as the owners handbook supplied with the car shows no work is required. Is this correct for a Impreza WRX ??

The first service that has items marked in it is the 12 Months or 15000KM (9000mile) service.

Second reply states:

" As indicated in your service booklet (not the owners manual), the 1,600km service applies only to Vivio & E12 models, not Impreza.

The 5000km service is a routine inspection/tuning service without replacement parts."

I am therfore thinking of taking my car in at 3000miles (5000Km) and getting an oil change and a routine inspection and my book stamped. (ie same as uk 1000mile service)

Any comments ???

Last edited by wrxseeker; 14 April 2005 at 05:20 PM.
Old 14 April 2005, 08:25 PM
Ponce
Scooby Newbie

Woohoo!! I've just received my service booklet after a month of nagging Virgin Cars.

As the schedule says the first service is due after 5000km/3 months I'm planning on getting the 5000km box stamped for when I had the 1000 mile service (I'd done 1280 miles over 2.5 months) and then following the schedule from 15000km. Seems like I can leave the 1600km box blank as it's not for Imprezas and not bother with another service at 5000km.

Unless anyone can find any flaw in this plan of course

Does anybody know if I need to get it undersealed as well? It came from Cyprus.

Thanks.
Old 15 April 2005, 08:43 AM
wrxseeker
Scooby Regular

Default Underseal

Dont bother getting extra underseal as it is exactly the same as on UK cars.

Some of the roads in Cyprus are so rough I would expect them to put extra underseal on if anything !!