should i use octane boosters

Search this Thread

Old 19 February 2005, 10:50 PM
malibuda
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default should i use octane boosters

* Q: Should I use Octane Boosters?
A: The Evolutions are built for the Japanese home market and as such the cars would normally use 100 RON fuel. The maximum rated fuel that is obtainable from filling stations in the UK (and most of the EU) is currently 98 RON (Shell Optimax) or 97 RON (Super Unleaded). Using a lower RON rated fuel than was intended by the manufacturer means the engine will not be running at it’s maximum potential and if the RON rating is too low it can actually be harmful (generally don’t use fuel rated less than 97 RON unless in an emergency, see ‘What is the best fuel to use?’). You can use an Octane Booster to increase the fuels Octane Rating to 100 RON (or more). Many people do use Octane Boosters, especially when using their cars on track days, then again just as many do not use them, it is entirely up to the owner whether they feel it is worthwhile.

The official line is not to use Octane Boosters, even in an emergency. Also note that your warranty maybe affected if you do use an Octane Booster. It has been said, rightly or wrongly, that Octane Boosters can actually leave traces of their use in the engine and fuel system and if you have an engine failure, a warranty claim may not be met if their use is evident.

This is what i found did not know that octane boosters can cause engine failure
Did someone have engine failure or somekind of problem when useing octane boosters?
Old 19 February 2005, 10:57 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

So by not using octane booster an import car is not receiving the 100ron it requires, and they recommend not using it. Thus the car getting only 98ron at most, which is too low.

Bad advice given from that site i think.
Old 19 February 2005, 11:25 PM
nyscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...d=m1b0s26p2684

Anyone got any idea of the quality of this booster???

They swear blind it is the best thing since............
Old 19 February 2005, 11:31 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a car is designed to run 100 ron fuel then run it on 100 ron fuel, simple as that (and if it means adding octane booster, then do so).

Tony
(and yes i run octane booster on my JDM import )
Old 19 February 2005, 11:36 PM
p1doc
Scooby Regular

or get it remapped to optimax like most people do,minimal loss of power if done properly big increase in safety compared to octane boosters?
martin
Old 19 February 2005, 11:39 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by p1doc
or get it remapped to optimax like most people do,minimal loss of power if done properly big increase in safety compared to octane boosters?
martin
Martin,
Good point, but you can still get bad tanks of optimax, it has been seen, i had one on my old MY00 PPP, knocklink lit up like a good un so really its still advisable to run something in there, even if its only half a bottle, especially for jap cars (and fit a knocklink!)

Tony
Old 19 February 2005, 11:57 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Why would you need ob in a MY00 PPP though Tony???
Old 20 February 2005, 09:25 AM
malibuda
Scooby Regular

* Q: What is the best fuel to use?
A: It is officially recommended to use a minimum of Super Unleaded (97 RON) in all Evolution models in the UK. The Evolutions are built for the Japanese home market and as such the cars would normally use 100 RON fuel or greater. The engine management in the Evolutions can adapt to lower octane fuels but performance will be reduced to prevent detonation. The higher the octane fuel you use the less chance detonation will occur allowing better performance. Shell Optimax is currently the highest RON rated readily available pump fuel in the UK (guaranteed at 98 RON but typically 98.6 RON) and using it should improve performance slightly over normal Super Unleaded. It has also been proven that Optimax is extremely good at keeping the engine clean of combustion by-products. It is not recommended to use ‘supermarket’ brand Super Unleaded as these have less detergents or cleaning agents than major brand fuels and can lead to coking of the valves.

As for 95 RON Premium Unleaded the official advice is do not use it unless in an emergency. If you have to fill up with 95 RON Unleaded for any reason then drive carefully until you get a chance to fill up with a Super grade unleaded again. It is also officially recommended that Octane Boosters are not used, even in an emergency.

It has been suggested that driving for long periods on 95 RON Unleaded can possibly lead to damage of the engine however, Evos are run in countries without major problems where the maximum rating of fuel available is only 93 RON (e.g. Greece, China and the West Indies). If you have to or want to run on a lower RON rated fuel then it may be wise to reprogram the engine ECU to suit low Octane rated fuel or fit an aftermarket ECU system or ignition controller (basically retard the ignition map slightly to prevent detonation).

Do not use 4 Star or Lead Replacement Petrol, it may have a higher Octane Rating but it contains additives that can damage the Catalytic Converter and the Oxygen sensor.

One more thing i found about fuel were it states not to use octane boosters even in the case of emergency.
i run my car for 2 years with every full tank i use octan boosters and i had no problems
i am just wondering who to believe someone is advise to use O.B someone not to use
do the people who claim this have example have they tested the car with O.B and had problems,how many cars have they tested and if it is so why is it allowed to sell O.B if
they car destroy the engine
Old 20 February 2005, 12:47 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Why would you need ob in a MY00 PPP though Tony???
You wouldnt normally, but the PPP is designed to run best on 97 ron fuel, my JDM STi on the other hand does need ob

Tony
Old 20 February 2005, 03:57 PM
malibuda
Scooby Regular

a freind of mine knows someone who has mercedes e-55 amg with a reprogram ecu 508hp
and he is driving it on 95ron for 80000 km and had no problem he also has a m3 csl with a reprogram ecu and also useing 95ron 5000 km with no problem
so it seems to me that it is not a rule to drive on 98ron only recomendation
Old 20 February 2005, 04:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by malibuda
a freind of mine knows someone who has mercedes e-55 amg with a reprogram ecu 508hp
and he is driving it on 95ron for 80000 km and had no problem he also has a m3 csl with a reprogram ecu and also useing 95ron 5000 km with no problem
so it seems to me that it is not a rule to drive on 98ron only recomendation

JDM Impreza's are designed to run on 100-102 ron fuel, dropping them back 3 ron can and does cause them to det.
Its not just about not being able not to run them on 95/7 ron fuel, its about how they have been mapped for a different market with different fuel types.
Now if you want to run a JDM wrx on 95 ron, then do so, but it wont last very long, and engine rebuilds will set you back way over 2k.

Tony