Sponsored by:

Cam belt tensioners ??

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2005, 02:31 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Cam belt tensioners ??

I need my cambelt changed at next service (age rather than miles) on my MY00, it's only done 24K miles, so my question is do the cam belt tensioners wear with miles or age, (I'm suspecting miles), ? if it is miles what sort of numbers should they last for or should I just get the whole lot done just to be on the safe side ?
Bearing in mind it will be done by a main dealer I don't want to get shafted for bits (which can be pricey) which I don't need.
The service shedule on this car says cambelt change at 5 years or 60K - just for info.

Thanks

Ian..
Old 18 February 2005, 02:46 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the impression that the belt was supposed to be replaced every 2/3 years depending on the year of your car, mine's also a my00, and is now on it's third belt!!! You probably have the tensioner with the 'blue dot' they are known to fail, and the replacement should have a 'green dot' Might be a worthwhile investment for about £120 to change it if they sting you for labour on top of the belt, moan like mad, it's literally one bolt!!! and actually makes changing the belt easier!!
Old 18 February 2005, 04:20 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiMan
I need my cambelt changed at next service (age rather than miles) on my MY00, it's only done 24K miles, so my question is do the cam belt tensioners wear with miles or age, (I'm suspecting miles), ? if it is miles what sort of numbers should they last for or should I just get the whole lot done just to be on the safe side ?
Bearing in mind it will be done by a main dealer I don't want to get shafted for bits (which can be pricey) which I don't need.
The service shedule on this car says cambelt change at 5 years or 60K - just for info.

Thanks

Ian..
Mine was done on the 60 k service at 3 years old on my RB5 (had 45 k on the clock at the time) After the service car ran like a bag of ****. Took it back and the timing was out 2 teeth, on the cam belt. They blamed the tensioner, I reckon they fitted it wrong. The Tensioner was changed under warranty and a new cam belt fitted. Tileys of Bristol reckon they'd like to change the tensioners on all cam belt services, but customers didn't like paying for it. IMHO, I would change it on the next service.

Where might I find the dot, you were refering too?

Thanks Phill
Old 18 February 2005, 04:24 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dot is a dob of paint on the centre bolt of the tensioner, you can't miss it!!