Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hole in the road.... damage to suspension??

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2005, 10:34 PM
SKool
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry hole in the road.... damage to suspension??

guys need some advice/help. As the title says I was driving home and im not joking I must have driven over/through the biggest hole in the road, the car is an STi V5 on 18's, the violence on the suspension crashing up an down im sure must have caused some damage..

My question is what can I do in terms of getting any damage caused from local council, seeing as we pay so much to them....

Arrrghh the anger!!!
Old 18 February 2005, 09:06 AM
ProdriveSTI
Scooby Regular

Location: My Beautiful STi is now sold, tho on the look out for another MINT scoob.

Originally Posted by SKool
guys need some advice/help. As the title says I was driving home and im not joking I must have driven over/through the biggest hole in the road, the car is an STi V5 on 18's, the violence on the suspension crashing up an down im sure must have caused some damage..

My question is what can I do in terms of getting any damage caused from local council, seeing as we pay so much to them....

Arrrghh the anger!!!
My advised....

Take some pictures of the pothole in question,
Go to your local garage & ask them to check the suspension etc… if any damage has been done, I would pay for the work to be done & then send the bill with a covering letter to the local council.

Happened to me a few years ago…. Took ages tho… but I did get a new alloy wheel & tyre out of it?

Hope this helps.
Old 18 February 2005, 09:15 AM
SPIKE LIKE MIKE
Scooby Regular

this happened to a friend of mine,so long as you get a photo and report it immediately to the coumcil they dont have a leg to stand on!!and you,ll probably find that the offfending hole is dealt with within hours of your report!! so make sure you get that picture.

goodluk

Originally Posted by SKool

Arrrghh the anger!!!
Old 18 February 2005, 09:36 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so long as you get a photo and report it immediately to the coumcil they dont have a leg to stand on!!
That is not at all true, roads have to be checked at set intervals, if the road has been checked within the set time then they are not liable.

Still report it to get it fixed tho.
Old 18 February 2005, 09:58 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Nezz10
That is not at all true, roads have to be checked at set intervals, if the road has been checked within the set time then they are not liable.

Still report it to get it fixed tho.
Perhaps, but if the official way doesn't work out, there's lots of solicitors out there who would take a case for you. Also, consider approaching your local newspapers, stories lke: "What are we paying road tax for?" are bread and butter for them!
Old 18 February 2005, 06:26 PM
Johnhowell
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
"What are we paying road tax for?"
The Road Fund Licence does not go to local councils but the Treasury. Over the last few years money has actually been removed from the maintenace budgets in response to climbing legal costs and claims for damage to cars. These claims now exceed the highway maintenance budgets for many authorities.

If these claims were to stop just think how much we would save on our Community Charges!

What about taking personnal responsibility, driving with due care and attention, reading the road ahead?

If you want to see proper potholes visit Qatar - some are literally the size of cars and a good 10" deep!

John