1995 Type RA Impreza info

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2005, 05:14 PM
o..
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Type RA Impreza info

Hey all,

I'm a newbie here and I hear that this is the best place to get info on Impreza's and that everyone here is very up on the subject...

Right, i'm looking at getting a 1995 Impreza RA, the lightweight one. Can anyone give me any info on the spec of this car, performance figures, how many were produced, etc? I know little about it but really want one, even though the fuel bills may melt my credit card....

Is there anything to look out for on these? What problems do they have? Is the MPG really bad and will I get in insured? (male, 23, Full NCD, Leamingyon-Spa)

Any help or advice would be much appreciated, as well as directing me to a good source of info...

Thanks,
o
Old 16 February 2005, 05:23 PM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

Some info from another site
Sep.94-Aug.95 MY95 GC8C47D 260 PS WRX RA 4 door
GC8C47D 275 PS WRX RA STi 4 door
WRX RA
The type RA is along similar lines to the type R but is 4 door and goes even further and misses out a few more bits and pieces to make it ready for conversion into the ultimate rally car. No underseal, rear wing, radio-cassette, electric windows, cheaper seats and loss of sound deadening materials from the cabin. Before 1997 the engine was also a lot stronger than the other models due to being closed deck sand cast (i.e. individually cast rather than die cast) and can take much more modification. This is the engine of choice for the serious tuners and also includes an extra injector! Strangely up until recently it was only 260PS (256bhp) but this is because most standard STi items would be thrown away in any upgrade.

Before 1997 this was the vehicle used as the donor vehicle for the Group N and Group A rally cars. It is interesting to note that Prodrive switched from using this verhicle and went over to use the 2 door for both Group N and WRC cars up until the introduction of the New Age car.
Old 16 February 2005, 05:26 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

It weighed 50Kgs less but most of this advantage was lost when the deleted items were fitted as options. The Type-RA was the cheapest WRX available so Id be looking to pay less rather than more for it.

Simon
Old 16 February 2005, 06:51 PM
littlemiss
Scooby Regular

helloooooo

right my dad owns a 1996 sti version 2 Ltd RA and it is lovely to drive, i really like it. BUT the insurance is very high, i manged to get a company to insure me full comp i am 24 (25 in a few weeks)2 years no claim they said they would insure me when i was 25 and for £2000 which was the best and only quote i got (i live in east sussex) the excess was £1000.

when they got the car it had no extras, they had central locking put in and air con and had to have the radio all wired in as there was no wires! But the roof vents are really good.

we only use opti on the car and if you drive it sensible i can get about just over 200 miles to the tank (£30ish) which i think is pretty good.

The suspension is not too bad either

can not think of anything else really

ohhhhhhhhh yeah it gives you a really big grin! (but nearly any scoob will!)
Old 16 February 2005, 07:10 PM
waggy doo
Scooby Regular

Try here,loads of info on most scooby models.

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm
Old 17 February 2005, 04:14 PM
o..
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Wow, brilliant info, thanks peeps!

The one I was bidding for was withdrawn from ebay coz the seller was dodgy(!)

I really want one even more now that I have seen that info, the car sounds perfect for my needs. The fuel consumption is scary, but i'll live (on baked beans only!)

Amy other info gratefully recieved, any pointers to where I can buy one would also be great

o