ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WRX or Astra VXR?

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2005, 10:30 AM
HOWY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX or Astra VXR?

Am considering buying EU WRX but like the sound of the nex VXR (24o bhp) but only FWD. Any thoughts on whether to wait and see what teh VXR will be like?
Old 15 February 2005, 10:37 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

The WRX will cost you more in the long run because you wont be happy with your lot. You will want more power and that comes at a high price on the scoob.

My advice would be to delete your membership to scoobynet / test drive both cars decide which you like best and purchase with a view to keeping the car standard. If you lurk on here the scoob will be modded within 6 months, your wallet empty and your missis will hate you

Oh and I quite like the look of the VXR too .

Gary
Old 15 February 2005, 10:44 AM
chris singleton
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
If you lurk on here the scoob will be modded within 6 months, your wallet empty and your missis will hate you

PMSL It's funny because it's true
Old 15 February 2005, 11:33 AM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

If you lurk on here the scoob will be modded within 6 months, your wallet empty and your missis will hate you
Never a truer word said
Old 15 February 2005, 01:01 PM
WRBlu
Scooby Regular

Key decision making words - Vauxhall and Astra

If you really have to - wait for the road tests, the Focus RS which has a great chassis couldnt cope with 212BHP let alone 240 thru the front wheels!

The manufacturers future trends with high power models will be more RWD and 4WD than front.
Old 15 February 2005, 02:41 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRBlu
Key decision making words - Vauxhall and Astra

If you really have to - wait for the road tests, the Focus RS which has a great chassis couldnt cope with 212BHP let alone 240 thru the front wheels!

The manufacturers future trends with high power models will be more RWD and 4WD than front.
Yeah but the focus RS was still probably a better car than a standard WRX

Gary
Old 15 February 2005, 03:11 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Red face

My own personal opinion BUT i didn't find the bugeye WRX in standard form that good! It was pretty good in the turbo but that was about it. Obviously in the wet it was also a good performer. Out of the turbo it was rather limp!
Old 15 February 2005, 08:02 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Most 2.0L turbo engines are a bit "limp out of the turbo", at least in relative terms - the STi is worse than the WRX in that respect IMHO. Admittedly, the Astra turbo will probably spool up at much lower revs if the previous astra turbo is much to go by.

In the lesser engined new astras the chassis feels quite capable. I'm certain that in the damp, a 125bhp 1.8L astra has much better traction than two different 115bhp 1.8L previous shape focus' I've driven, so perhaps it will be able to put the power down OK. What it isn't aiming to be, and never will be is an STi/EVO slayer. What it may well turn out be is a good everyday hatch which is easy to drive surprisingly quickly, and quite possibly beat a standard WRX it a drag race once over 30/40 mph.
Old 15 February 2005, 08:45 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Always the case with these 2wd hot hatches, they are quite capable in standard tune and probably give a standard WRX a scare. The point being the wrx can take a whole load more power and be unphased.

So if you want a car and keep it standard then theres a choice to be made. If you plan to upgrade then has to be a 4wd motor.
Old 15 February 2005, 11:54 PM
Joggerboy
Scooby Regular

I had an 03 Astra GSI until I got a lift in a mates WRX - Bye Bye Astra - Hello WRX with PPP (No comparison!)
Old 16 February 2005, 09:56 AM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by hades
Most 2.0L turbo engines are a bit "limp out of the turbo", at least in relative terms - the STi is worse than the WRX in that respect IMHO. Admittedly, the Astra turbo will probably spool up at much lower revs if the previous astra turbo is much to go by.

In the lesser engined new astras the chassis feels quite capable. I'm certain that in the damp, a 125bhp 1.8L astra has much better traction than two different 115bhp 1.8L previous shape focus' I've driven, so perhaps it will be able to put the power down OK. What it isn't aiming to be, and never will be is an STi/EVO slayer. What it may well turn out be is a good everyday hatch which is easy to drive surprisingly quickly, and quite possibly beat a standard WRX it a drag race once over 30/40 mph.
Its true about the STI feeling worse out of the turbo but have it fitted with PPP and it feels so much better!!
Old 16 February 2005, 10:48 AM
explore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by HOWY
Am considering buying EU WRX but like the sound of the nex VXR (24o bhp) but only FWD. Any thoughts on whether to wait and see what teh VXR will be like?
one word on this vauxhull lol. i know what i would rather have. and i have the same feeling over fords and bm's hate them all.
Old 16 February 2005, 10:52 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by explore
one word on this vauxhull lol. i know what i would rather have. and i have the same feeling over fords and bm's hate them all.
Rather have a jap tin box which costs the earth to run and looks like an extra from The fast and the furious .... but in real terms struggles against a £12K clio. GREEEEEEEEEEEEEAT

Gary
Old 16 February 2005, 11:28 AM
explore
Scooby Regular

Rather have a jap tin box which costs the earth to run and looks like an extra from The fast and the furious .... but in real terms struggles against a £12K clio. GREEEEEEEEEEEEEAT

Gary
well all i must say is you cant be driven very well. learn to drive your car!
Old 16 February 2005, 11:33 AM
explore
Scooby Regular

Gary
also,
if thats how you feel why do you even own a scoob and even come in here. people like you shouldnt be members!!!
and thats all i have to say on the matter
Old 16 February 2005, 01:23 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by explore
also,
if thats how you feel why do you even own a scoob and even come in here. people like you shouldnt be members!!!
and thats all i have to say on the matter

My work is done .........

I shouldnt be a member because I happen to like the VXR and think the WRX is no better

gary

Last edited by Gutmann pug; 16 February 2005 at 01:50 PM.
Old 16 February 2005, 01:42 PM
Geek Boy
Scooby Regular

propoganda is only welcome on this site Gutmann.....the truth is prohibited!
Old 16 February 2005, 08:52 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alwong
Its true about the STI feeling worse out of the turbo but have it fitted with PPP and it feels so much better!!
No doubt. A well sorted WRX still suffers much less from lag due to smaller turbo = quicker spool. And for pull from 2000rpm in 4th/5th or 6th, my money would be on the Astra VXR beating the STi PPP (or modded WRX) comfortably. Given enough revs, the STi PPP would easily win, but for relaxed pickup for those who don't want to worry about dropping it a gear or 2 (or 3), the Vauxhall turbo engines are a league ahead of ours.
Old 16 February 2005, 10:33 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

I think the astra is a nice looking car. Had a quick look at Autopsport and I was pretty impressed. The leather etc looked the part for sure.
I think if I was given the choice and the Astra was similarly priced I would give it a crack.
I also think the VXR will probably retain more value after three years but I might be wrong.

I dont think this thread was started because of speed so my original comment still stands, drive them both and make a decision on what you think. Do however think about the additional money you will spend on the scoob in the first couple of years ownership. PPP will surely come along at £1500 ( I think).

I would be interested in the final choice

gary