GC8
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has this happened to you?
Old 11 February 2005, 04:50 PM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

I bought a radiator from them about two weeks ago and couldn't praise them enough for the service. Next day delivery and it fits like a dream. Hope you sort out your problems.

Ben

Originally Posted by WaveyRA
Yes am having a few problems at the moment with an engine that was purchased
Old 11 February 2005, 05:08 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

Have you spoken to them about your problem?
Old 12 February 2005, 10:11 AM
terryb
Scooby Regular

Bad luck Dave mate.

However, at least API have done something about it finally - it could have been a lot worse and you could have been seriously out of pocket. But I agree they should have communicated with you more.

Hope you get it back soon matey
Old 12 February 2005, 12:41 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you have been very reasonable and API seem to be trying. BUT, and it has to be said, they have had your money and your 'job' (as a freebie) isn't going to go ahead of paying customers.

I have heard of other Engine Rebuilders just washing their hands and walking away with words like, "Customer bust it themselves" ....... so, API seem to be acting reasonable .......

They could abide by their promises however, and ringing back when they say they will is an absolute MUST!

Good luck ..... I thought the Recon Boxer engine was more expensive than £1600? What would a brand new one cost? What would it cost to recon your own?

Pete
Old 12 February 2005, 01:53 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

I can certainly understand your frustration at wanting the job done and your car back.

But I have to say, I think API have acted very responsibly and are actually sorting the problem out. Many places wouldn't have gone as far as they did.

Maybe the could have communcated better but I would be happy that a place with the excellent reputation for quailty is going to fix my engine.....without additional cost me.

Good luck with it all
Old 12 February 2005, 02:07 PM
highlander68k
Scooby Regular

It does seem as if you have been treated fairly, albeit slowly.

As you can imagine, any business has jobs booked in advance. I'm sure API are the same and didn't foresee any problems with your engine. This is a setback to them just as much as it is for you.

Personally, I think you shouldn't have said anything on the board yet, as the only problem you have had is one of a lengthy delay in getting your car back on the road.

I hope you get it sorted soon.
Old 12 February 2005, 02:26 PM
Mouser
Scooby Regular

Do you think API knew the engine had had an impact prior to you receiving it?
Old 12 February 2005, 04:58 PM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

WaveyRA:- I guess you can only hang in there and hope that it is all sorted out very soon. I know people have been saying that API have been quite resonable (and they have) but it is a pain when you've shelved out a lot of money for something to be fixed and it isn't.

Fingers crossed you'll be enjoying the car again soon!!

Ben

ps. do you know Bowley?
Old 12 February 2005, 07:10 PM
burty
Scooby Regular

Dont panic captin Manering !!
Old 12 February 2005, 07:15 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Customer service at API

Dave [ waveyRA ] & others 7 pm Saturday night - just spotted this.,

This engine was/is a fully rebuilt, spin tested engine that performed correctly and passed all of our tests. After or during delivery it seems that there has been damage to the cambelt cover on one side and no other apparent damage. However, the impact must have been significant as it has fractured a cam pulley that rattled for a while before giving up. Fortunately the damage was light and the engine ran properly again once the original pulleys were fitted - on our instructions at the local garage.

What cannot be explained is that somehow, the engine now has an inlet cam on the right hand bank, the opposite side to the damage, with the thrust bearing face completely snapped off. hence the noise as the cam thrusts back and forwards. Clearly the engine cannot have been like this when it left APi as the noise is there to hear, even on spin over.

The engine now requires a replacement head on the right hand bank.

APi has tried to act responsibly and quickly to get the car going again without delay. We have been slightly delayed by the chosen garage taking time to attempt a repair, they are busy too, and then liaising with us to decide what to do. Once it became clear that it was more than a simple fix, we arranged to collect the car - bring it back to APi for repair. Repair it and return the car running properly as soon as possible. We paid the garage bill. After all you paid for an APi engine not one partially repaired by Joe Soap limited.

Mark, my salesman, has spoken to you both times and has explained - to the best of my knowledge - what we are doing and when. Both times you have called l have been on the telephone, which anyone who knows APi well, will tell you is almost all day, every day. I am not aware that l, personally, was required to call back - now I am.

The repair to the engine is time consuming and requires care to ensure that it is properly repaired and that we should also attempt to find out why a perfectly good tested rebuilt engine is now broken after 5 minutes running?

We need to be sure that there are no broken pieces inside the engine that may cause further harm so that when we bring the car back - free of any costs to you - it performs as it should have done from day one.

The reason for the damage in both instances is not clear. What is clear is that it cannot have been like that when it left APi. Rather than get into any argument about how can this be? We have assumed responsibility and are acting as promptly - with a busy schedule - to fix a problem not of our making.

Lesser companies would have left you to sort it out with the comment along the lines of 'Did you tell the carriers of the damage? If you didn't and signed for it un-damaged then I cannot help you'. That is not our way, as you have paid a lot of money for an engine and it is incumbent on APi to look after you no matter how the damage occurred.

The car will be ready as soon as we can do so and will be returned as soon as we can do so.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
Old 12 February 2005, 07:27 PM
fatmanscooby
Scooby Regular

Thats a fair comment.
Old 12 February 2005, 07:27 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

to APi.

The sign of a good company is not necessarily when things are going well, but the response to problems / compaints.

I don't really think anyone could ask much more of you.

i try to run my own company (IT related) along the same lines...if there is a problem, we'll do our best to deal with it.

What I have found is that sometimes, no how many times and how far you bend over for people, they're still not happy. I'm certainly not saying this is the case with waveyRA though!
Old 12 February 2005, 07:38 PM
bluenose172
Scooby Regular

If I was in this position I'd be very greatful, lesser companies would have washed their hands with you. I know where I'll be going if I ever need a new engine(touch wood, I hope never!)....API!!
Old 13 February 2005, 10:09 AM
Gary C
Scooby Regular

Well, just goes to show, when a company acts responsibly like this, it can only do itself a lot of good.

If I ever need an engine, then I too now know where to go.

Wavey, your obviously feeling frustrated at not having the car back when you expected. but think how bad you would have felt if you had gone to another company and they had walked away.

Let us know how the car is when you get it back.

One thing, is the EJ20 not an intererence engine ?, if a cam pully failed would this not lead to impact between pistion and valves ? Could the failure of the cam pully not be related to the cam failure of the other bank ?

As their was impact damage on the engine when recieved did the carriers drop it and repack it ?

Maybe not in this case but whenever you recieve goods, read the thing they want you to sign, if it say's 'all goods recieved and checked' either make them wait until you have checked them all, or sign it 'goods not checked' and cross out the other bit. Once you have signed that bit of paper, you have disolved any responsibility of the carriers.

Last edited by Gary C; 13 February 2005 at 10:19 AM.
Old 13 February 2005, 12:57 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

I am told by the garage that did the remedial work on the broken cam pulley that it runs fine after the pulley was replaced., What l am not sure about is whether the pulley was just cracked and not fallen off or whether it was actually off.

Normally, a Subaru bends valves when a belt comes off. We will obviously check to be sure before the car is taken back.

As some of you say, it's what happens when something goes wrong that sets some companies apart from others. I'd like to think that we do it more or less right. We build about 3 - 4 engines PER WEEK here and touch wood - even with those numbers, there aren't posts all over here saying anything other than positive things.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza.

Gone now until Monday guys.
Old 13 February 2005, 02:48 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

/\/\ Spoken and acted like a true professional - hope it works out well for both of you...

Raf.
Old 13 February 2005, 06:02 PM
New_scooby_04

From what I've read above, I've little doubt this will be resolved to your satisfaction asap. Posts from both sides have been informative, reasonable, civil, and -above all else- constructive. Both sides have done themselves credit with the way they've reacted, at least in my eyes.

Do keep us updated.
Old 13 February 2005, 06:34 PM
ben1413
Scooby Regular

Good on WaveyRA for not being sh*ty to API and good on API for resolving the matter. Let us know the outcome!

Ben
Old 14 February 2005, 10:01 AM
DaveW
Scooby Regular

Going back to the original question - Never had a problem with API in all my dealings with them (engine re-build, exchange gearbox, service parts). They are one supplier I can trust and will continue to use for any parts that I need for my car.

Dave.
Old 19 February 2005, 10:22 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

The car has been delivered back to Dave.

Lets wait to see what the verdict is.

Old 22 February 2005, 10:40 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

I have to guess that no news is good news!!

Old 24 February 2005, 04:55 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by WaveyRA
Hi Guys and gals,

sorry i've not posted on here sooner but been off work ill. Am glad to say and back to full health now and so is the scoob!!

Big thanks to Dave and staff at API for getting things sorted in the end for me. Am pleased to say the car is running smooth and quiet, and all with a nice shiny engine bay

THANKS guys !!

Although one thing, the CAT on fire warning light comes on after 5-10 mins on a short motorway trip, at or below 3500rpm as recomended, its so slow !! he he

but as soon as i peel off on a slip road stop at the junction the light goes back off and doesn't come on unless I go back on the motorway.

Any ideas, as we know the cat isn't on fire as its got a fully de-cated system ?? Regards
Glad to hear that we got you sorted. Thanks for the kind words.

The exhaust gas temp sensor wire might be shorting out somewhere under the car. They sort of becomne redundant after the full decat and usually just get tucked out of the way up by the chassis rails. That's where I'd be looking first.

David APi engines / APi Impreza

Quick Reply: Engine problems