Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Newbie here, help needed, looking at getting a Impreza.

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2005, 03:42 PM
Jay_Kullar
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here, help needed, looking at getting a Impreza.

Hi People,

Well where do i start, im was looking at getting either an EVO 5 or 6, but my friend has recently opened my eyes to the P1. Now i used to love Impreza's esp the P1 as a kid but dont know why but have gone off them. Recently ive been looking at them and it seems to be coming back! The more i look at the P1, the more i like it over the EVO.

The thing is i have driven an EVO and loved the drive, have never driven the P1. Speaking to a friend of my dads, said he always prefered the Impreza to drive as it was more raw than the EVO which has all the electronic's, this was a while back, when he ended up cancelling his EVO 6 TME, for a STI Type R after having his Colin Mcrae LTD Stolen and burnt out.

Now i dont know much about P1's or Impreza's in general any help on them would be excellent, im looking to spend a maximum of 16k on a P1, is that enough to get a decent one? Prefer low miles even though i have a second car, and standard or not many mods due to insurance and my age. Currently have a VX220.

Comparing the look is one thing against running costs and reliablity, are there any owners here who can tell me about there experience's with the Impreza or P1, Good and Bad point, do they need and engine rebuild @ 60,000 Miles?

Sorry for the book people,

Thanks

Jay
Old 09 February 2005, 04:02 PM
New_scooby_04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay_Kullar
Hi People,

Now i dont know much about P1's or Impreza's in general any help on them would be excellent, im looking to spend a maximum of 16k on a P1, is that enough to get a decent one? Prefer low miles even though i have a second car, and standard or not many mods due to insurance and my age. Currently have a VX220.

Comparing the look is one thing against running costs and reliablity, are there any owners here who can tell me about there experience's with the Impreza or P1, Good and Bad point, do they need and engine rebuild @ 60,000 Miles?

Sorry for the book people,

Thanks

Jay
A few observations:

1) You might be best served popping over to the P1 owners club forum- do a search on here for it.

2) You shoud take a test drive of a P1 and make your own mind up. It's a diff car to the EVO; horses for courses.

3) 16K will get you one, but the best still seem to be going for about 18K

4) Like all Imprezas they are very reliable if you warm them up and cool them down properly, drive with mechanical sympathy, get them serviced by experts on time, don't scrimp with cheap petrol or oil and don't fit any daft mods. They most certainly should NOT need a re-build at 60k.

5) It's in an even higher insurance group than your VX220 I believe, check out some quotes before comitting, these are not cheap cars to run.

Best wishes,