Sponsored by:

check engine warning light.

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2005, 08:56 PM
bullet benjy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default check engine warning light.

Set off to work this morning, everything was fine then after about a mile or so i noticed my check engine warning light was on. The car was behaving as normal but I papped myself and turned around to drive back home (at 40 mph). I jumped in the mrs clio and drove to work. When i got home tonight i started my scoob and the engine check light was now not showing. I took it for a steady drive around my estate but the display light did not come back on.
What do you think guys ?
I need to use my scoob this weekend too so i am pretty worried in case anything goes wrong.

PLEASE HELP
Old 02 February 2005, 08:57 PM
bullet benjy
Scooby Regular

ALSO CHECKED OIL ETC ETC AND EVERYTHIG IS FINE.
Old 02 February 2005, 09:24 PM
Ninnybobs
Scooby Regular

What model/year?
Old 03 February 2005, 10:25 AM
LIDDO
Scooby Regular

Ive got a MY99 UK and my light comes on once or twice a week. Give it some welly, and then slow down! Mine goes out after that. Apparantly, this is quite a common problem. The MAF sensor cant quite make up its mind, so throughs the light on! No need to worry as long as it goes out. I tend to find that if poodleing along all the time, it comes on. Steve at CAS Motorsport advised me that its a common problem. IF it stays on after giving it some, then it could be trouble.
Old 03 February 2005, 12:01 PM
Keef69
Scooby Regular

Mine does it too, when slowing down, sometimes. Previous owner said it did it for 2 years and never caused a problem. I put it in neutral and coast, so the revs drop. About 10 seconds and the light is off. I'd be worried about booting with the light on though!
Old 03 February 2005, 12:07 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

I'd be pretty worried if my check engine light was coming on. I've never seen it on my MY00 classic.

Do an ECU reset and see if you get a fault code: http://stefanostadal.homedns.org/car_maintenance.htm
Old 03 February 2005, 12:30 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by Graz
I'd be pretty worried if my check engine light was coming on. I've never seen it on my MY00 classic.

Do an ECU reset and see if you get a fault code: http://stefanostadal.homedns.org/car_maintenance.htm
Absolutely agree, I'd be very concerned if my check engine light came on once a week!! I've never seen it on my RB5, and if I did I would pull over immediately. Not accelerate hard, and it might go away. What happens if your MAF sensor is broken, and the car is running really lean. Hole in pistons, oh no

I was told MAF and Lambda sensors are supposed to be replaced every 3 years. I would check your has

Phill
Old 03 February 2005, 01:56 PM
spender
Scooby Regular

Default CEL

Mine came on Tuesday night when I popped out to the shops.
It only came on at idle and went off when I started to pull away.
I thought a vacuum pipe might have come off or split but couldn't see anything the next morning when I had a look.
Hasn't come back on since..........................

Spender
Old 05 February 2005, 04:22 PM
bullet benjy
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys for the response. My car is a my99 uk. Just worried me thats all but i do feel a little better now and it hasn't come back on since.
What sort of expense are you talking to replace maf sensors and lambda sensors
Old 05 February 2005, 04:28 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

About £80 apiece plus labour. Don't make the mistake of having the MAF housing changed... that would cost you in the region of £250.
Old 05 February 2005, 04:36 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by babber
I was told MAF and Lambda sensors are supposed to be replaced every 3 years. I would check your has Phill

Not sure about that statement - my MY00 has been serviced by Subaru for 5 years, every 6 months, and I cannot remember the MAF or Lambda getting routinely replaced.

Pete
Old 05 February 2005, 06:18 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by pslewis
Not sure about that statement - my MY00 has been serviced by Subaru for 5 years, every 6 months, and I cannot remember the MAF or Lambda getting routinely replaced.

Pete
Your not getting me biting

Some dealers change them some don't. They are designed to last 3 years, so I wouldn't run the risk of holes in my pistons for the sake of £150. Just not worth the risk IMHO.

Phill
Old 05 February 2005, 07:56 PM
larks
Scooby Newbie

had same when i just bought mine came on when i was giving it some stick after pooing my pants pulled ova asap turned it off and then turned it back on and it went out and has never done it since my local dealer was a little confused and said if it come on and stayed on there was a problem but didnt know why it came on and went off witch made me none the wiser
Old 06 February 2005, 02:35 PM
babber
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by larks
had same when i just bought mine came on when i was giving it some stick after pooing my pants pulled ova asap turned it off and then turned it back on and it went out and has never done it since my local dealer was a little confused and said if it come on and stayed on there was a problem but didnt know why it came on and went off witch made me none the wiser
Did the local dealer connect the select monitor and read any ECU error codes?

Phill
Old 06 February 2005, 04:02 PM
Martyn Tonks
Scooby Regular

I've got a a Turbo Forester, last of the olde style.

Have have had the engine check light come on 3 or 4 times each of them when accelerating hard through the gears. It has been back to the main dealer who cannot find any fault code in the system when connected up to the diagnostics on each occasion.

The tip they did give me though was to pull over and turn off the engine, then start the car and turn it off again 4 times, if it is giving duff information this will put out the light. If the light stays on after this then it is a positive fault reading, and needs attention.

No explanation can be given for this behaviour, it is apparently another one of those unexplained Scooby traits.
Old 06 February 2005, 04:25 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I say, try posting in the correct forum